Dedicated Neo Cab

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I picked up a dedicated 2 slot (a little different than the one on HardMVS.com) that I was told had no sound and no picture. I saw that there was no glow from the neck when it had power and brought it home hoping for an easy fix.

Once home, I hit the credit button to see if it was possibly playing blind as I didn't check last night when I picked it up. Hit the coin and heard it coin up and the games were indeed playing blind. Sweet! just had to deal with the monitor.

Called up a buddy to help me move it downstairs (only about five steps) and decided to pull the monitor to find the problem after verifying power was getting to the chassis. Did a quick check of the diodes on the power section and everything there was good, but just after them we found a burnt solder connection. Desoldered the component, cleaned everything up and resoldered it as we suspected a cold solder joint gone bad. Reflowed the solder in a couple of other places where we saw trouble and popped it back in.

Now for the moment of truth. Gave it power, and had neck glow! Did some minor adjustments to the monitor and now have a working game.

I will be changing out the sticks and buttons as I already have them on hand, but will need to get a new overlay at some point as this one has some issues.

This was found on craigslist with an asking price of $100, I paid $80.

DSCF0411.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

DSCF0414.jpg

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Son of a bitch that's a nice price!!! Virtual punch in the nuts for such a good deal! Good work!

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thats awesome man. congrats! Somtimes you can find insanely good deals like that on craiglist.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The condition looks good. Give it a good restoration job and it will be like new.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Man, that's a steal for $80, I wish we got bargains like that over here :crying:

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Damn that's a sweet find! The friggin coindoor is worth more than that, let alone a working monitor! :envy: Now you just gotta get the CP fixed up, and touch up some of the cabinet markings, and it'll be as good as new. :D

Take good care of it! :buttrock:

WOW!!!! Knowledge is truly power. You knowledge literally saved you hundreds of dollars. How do you check the diodes? Maybe share some of that knowledge so we can do the same. That cab reminds me of my old 2 slot. Clean it up the best you can and get a memory card in that bad boy.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Wow, awesome deal! Congrats!

How well is the monitor working? Are the colors OK? Any discoloring or anything like that? Brightness? Contrast?

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I need to do some fine tuning on the colors and brightness, but the picture is sharp and clear with no folding or waviness. I have gotten lucky and won't need a cap kit in this puppy. Also, there is no burn in on this monitor. I just need to see what I can do about cleaning up that control panel.