Different style classic AES cases?

ericb

NEST Puppet
I just got my second AES cart yesterday (yeah, I know, I'm really new, and it was Art of Fighting 2... so many good arcade memories), and the case is a little different from the case that my Samurai Showdown is in. Both are the classic style cases of course, but they're slightly different... the AOF2 case seems a little thicker and almost more padded on the front and back, as well as the clear plastic insert cover is lower at the top, so some of the insert is exposed on the top. Is this normal? I'm just wondering if the AOF2 case might be a replacement or what... just out of curiousity.

I don't have enough cash for an AES right now, so I'm stuck with my 2 pathetic carts with nothing to play them on, but yeah... any info would be greatly appreciated.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Oldstyle AES cases weren't manufactured to a strict standard so there is alot of variance in quality,finish and even size.

The clear plastic is often cut too low to cover the top of the insert, the only way round this is swapping cases but that can end up being a total pain in the neck as there is a variance in the height and width of inserts for different games. I speak from experience. :kekeke:

The newer snap lock cases have a much smaller variance, confined only to the finish of the clear plastic as far as I know.

ericb

NEST Puppet
Moonwhistle, that's huge, thank you. That cleared up exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks again.

pretas

Marked Wolf
I'll second what MoonWhistle said, I have a bunch of AES games and there seem to be about 3 or 4 different variation of the Soft case.

As for the hard cases, the only variance I have noticed (aside from the previously mentioned vinyl issue) is that the area the game rests in can be a little loose or tight depending upon the molding.