Different versions of SS3?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
So, I recently got Samurai Shodown 3 for my AES, and found it to be quite a different experience than from my NGCD (Load times aside). I thought I was just being a crazy person, so I plunked the CD version in and compared, I noticed some differences I didn't understand! The first thing I noticed was the difficultly level. Both were played on Level 4(normal) and the AES version was significantly more difficult. In the NGCD version, I could get to my 4th fight before needing to continue, and on the AES, I had to continue over 10 times (thank god for memory cards) to get beyond my 2nd fight!

Another standout thing, Galford's name was hilariously mis-spelled as 'Garford' in the CD version.

Now something I can't really make up my mind about is whether or not the hitboxes are any different between the two versions, or if I'm just a crazy person, because it seemed easier to hit people in the CD version.. but I could also be mistaking that for the difficulty difference. I'd read in another thread that the MVS version has 2 different iterations, one of them having 'fixed' hitboxes (which I don't know much about) So I'm wondering if there actually was more than 1 different home version between the AES/NGCD, or if they are based off of both the standard and 'fixed' MVS editions, or if I'm just imagining everything outside of the spelling error.

SSS

neo retired
There are 2 different rom sets out there for MVS (not counting the fixed versions of both) i'm not sure if there's any differences between them.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Hm, must just be different versions between the NGCD and AES versions. Any chance someone else owns both versions to do a comparison as well?

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
I think the "Garford" alone is proof it's a different build. Maybe when converting the build over to CD format, they made some tweaks and changes. I'm curious if any other CD games got some tweaks too.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
There are 2 different rom sets out there for MVS (not counting the fixed versions of both) i'm not sure if there's any differences between them.

Well, I did recently come across a home sams3 cart that had a different rom set. Granted, that game is no longer with us anymore, but of course I had the presence of mind to read and save the unique EPROM data beforehand. If someone wants to tinker with them and has the time to do a comparison, I will be happy to send the files. In fact, I just rembered that I took pictures of the boards

SNKNostalgia

Fighting Artist
They did make a few changes for the Neo Geo CD releases other than animation cuts. King of Fighter 96 actually has more responsive controls in the NGCD version. To see it for yourself, try playing the AES/MVS version and then the NGCD version with a Neo Geo CD pad. You can really tell the difference, especially with the special move 1, 2, 3 combos playing Kyo and Iori. To be honest, I haven't played my NGCD version of SS3 since I got my new US home cart back in 2000.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I through in my copy of Samurai Spirit 3 (AES) and I have Galford listed.
After running a CRC check this is what I get (just incase anyone wants to check theirs too):
ROM Region 282A336E
ROM Bank 0 E46D2443
ROM Bank 1 E86CA4AF
ROM Bank 2 not used
ROM Bank 3 not used

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Samurai Showdown 3 fixed home cart

Here are those pics I promised.
(keep in mind this board was like this, as in done at the factory, because it was in a sealed home cart)
sams3fix1.JPGsams3fix2.JPG

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That was the SS3 I made with the hit fix with damage menu.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member

Oh damn! Is that just a coincidence that I came into it or did I buy that cart from you and simply forget? Although I think the only carts I got from you were loose fatal fury 3 carts, I don't recall a sams3 being among them?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nah, I sold it to someone else about 2-3 years ago.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Nah, I sold it to someone else about 2-3 years ago.

Alright well then that's that.
And wow, that's gratitude for you huh?
You go through the trouble of prepping a special cart for a guy and he just goes and sells it. Oh well, loyalty's not for everybody.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Hi Xian. Is this basically the SS3 fixed you've talked about elsewhere on the site?

If so, I'm intrigued by what you mean by 'menu'? I'm jumping to conclusions here, but are you suggesting the fixed version can be switched between original and fixed via menu, or is it permanently fixed with a menu pertaining to features within the fix itself?

The fix is definitely something that interests me! SS3 is my fave SS and I still regret (not sure if you remember) not buying the fixed cart you put up for sale here sometime last year! Nevermind...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi Xian. Is this basically the SS3 fixed you've talked about elsewhere on the site?

If so, I'm intrigued by what you mean by 'menu'? I'm jumping to conclusions here, but are you suggesting the fixed version can be switched between original and fixed via menu, or is it permanently fixed with a menu pertaining to features within the fix itself?

The fix is definitely something that interests me! SS3 is my fave SS and I still regret (not sure if you remember) not buying the fixed cart you put up for sale here sometime last year! Nevermind...

The hit detection fix is always there. The damage menu lets you alter each characters damage and defense per se and some other things. For just the hit fix you need the PG1, for the menu you need both.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Sealed home cart, he says...

here_comes_a_new_challenger-300x120.png