DIY security systems

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Just in case anyone else is looking for a diy solution in the future, I'm loving this set up and I would check it out if I were you. Done a lot of testing this weekend and I feel safer when I'm not at my house knowing how loud and obnoxious this system is along with the fact I will have it all recorded and be notified immediately where I can watch and even speak through the mic.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
firethorn bushes under the windows & super bright motion floodlights are low-tech but pretty effective

try holly if the firethorn is too pricey

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
You mean like remote monitoring?

Yes.

Don't even hook it up to your network at home.

Largest DDoS in history just occurred using compromised DVR systems. Not only that, Chinese ones have certain security weaknesses intentionally built in for later purposes.

Check out shodan if you want a primer on "why you never hook shit up, particularly if it's already 'setup' for you"

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
There is no benefit in hooking it up via "the cloud."

Quite a few have DynamicDNS setups on them, running through outside services. Not only that, a remote agent or "call home" vector is easily activated or installed if you know what you are doing. (....and I assure you.. they do.)

Having a remote monitoring system isn't going to do shit for you. Best you can hope for is getting an alert that something is going down and calling law enforcement. You can do that anyway, after the fact. It's not going to stop anyone from taking your stuff. It's basically an evidence collector.

Is an evidence collector and what it's going to "save you" in the event of a burglary worth the risk exposure of compromise of your home network and assets?

That's what you have to ask yourself.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Import one of these babies from South Africa. Hook it up to your front door. It's North Carolina, should be legal.