Do you put thermal paste between an audio amp and heatsink?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've got a bootleg single slot mobo that was manufactured in 2004 that has a high pitched sound when set to stereo and less so when set to mono, but the audio amp heatsink is all kinked and bent and It appears to have been resoldered at some point. Audio amps are cheap so I bough a NOS direct replacement amp and hope it solves the issue, but I'm uncertain if I'm supposed to add thermal paste between the amp and heatsink? I'm guessing so, but figured I should double check first.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have not seen thermal paste applied to heatsinks on JAMMA boards, AFAIK the paste is only needed with very high temperatures, like the 80-90 degrees Celsius reached by some PC processors, however I can't see any harm in applying a very thin layer of paste to the heatsink on your board.

Regards.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Might not be necessary, I don't think the audio amps will get very hot, if at all. The only ICs in 16-bit game systems I have seen that used paste are the voltage regulators in the MegaDrive, but those have huge heatsinks to go with it. But, it wouldn't hurt, granted you use non-conductive paste, or at least keep it away from any contacts. If it makes you feel safer about using the unit, you should just do it.