Does anybody here own a Oppo BDP-83

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I am considering getting the BDP-83 to replace my PS3 60gig. I have heard nothing but good things about the player, and I am mainly looking for the best video DVD, Bluray play back possible. Anyone here have any first hand experience with it?
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
Blu-ray-BDP-83_rightangle.jpg

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
It's awesome. It's simply the best DVD player out there (Oppo 983) with a fast, reliable and easily updatable Blu-ray player thrown in for good measure.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Aside from playing PAL video, how is that better than a 60gig PS3?

I'm genuinely curious.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
The dvd performance of that machine is far superior to the ps3. Thanks to the anchor bay asic. Blu-ray performance would be similar I would think, perhaps slightly better on the oppo.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Blu-ray performance would be superior, if only slightly. The PS3 doesn't de-interlace 1080i material at all, while the superior de-interlacing of the Oppo 83 would handle that, and thus give you a better result.

If you have a 60gig PS3, chances are it's also rather noisy. The Oppo isn't. I've used my PS3 for BD before I got my Panasonic, and later my Oppo, and one of the bigger improvements I got in practice was that the noise level of the player went down considerably.

But it's with DVD playback you'll see the largest improvement for sure. 1080p output from a Blu-ray Disc with 1080p material on it is not difficult or expensive, and it is something that most players do almost perfectly. Don't buy an Oppo BDP-83 and expect to see some huge improvement in general BD playback, because there isn't one to be found.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I don't mind the noise on 60G PS3 at all, but I've been considering getting a dedicated blu-ray player because the blu-ray diode for the non-slim PS3s is poorly designed and burns out after a few years of constant use. I've already had to replace it once, and would rather not have to do it again.

That having been said, even though the Oppo player blows away every other current player in existence, I don't want to fork over $500 for a player that doesn't support HDMI 1.4. Best plan is to wait for the next round of players in a couple of months, and either get a future-proof one, or else hope obsolesence slashes the Oppo price.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I don't mind the noise on 60G PS3 at all, but I've been considering getting a dedicated blu-ray player because the blu-ray diode for the non-slim PS3s is poorly designed and burns out after a few years of constant use. I've already had to replace it once, and would rather not have to do it again.

That having been said, even though the Oppo player blows away every other current player in existence, I don't want to fork over $500 for a player that doesn't support HDMI 1.4. Best plan is to wait for the next round of players in a couple of months, and either get a future-proof one, or else hope obsolesence slashes the Oppo price.

HDMI 1.4 is only needed for 3D Bluray at this time. I just bought a new plasma in Jan, so 3D is out of the question. I have been checking and Oppo has no plans to come out with a new player anytime soon. I wanted to wait because I will have to buy the wifi bridge kit but I would like to take some wear off of my 60 gig PS3. Most Bluray players that I see in stores look like toys.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
3D will be obsolete, again, soon enough, so there's no reason for Oppo to even consider making a 3D capable player.