Does this make anyone else nervous?

ProfessorFrink

Crossed Swords Squire
From 1up.com:

Link

EA Chief Financial Officer, Warren Jensen's address of the Credit-Suisse First Boston Technology Conference.

[Discussing issues pertinent in the nearer term, Jenson turned to how different facets of online gaming will become part of EA's business in the next few years. Once the next generation of online-enabled consoles arrives, "in every living room, we'll have a wireless hub," he said. As a consequence, EA plans to ramp up its online gaming business over the next few years. "You're going to start seeing increments of online-related revenue creeping into the revenue stream over the coming years. As we get into the next generation of consoles and further globalization, this becomes a much bigger deal."

Subscription services -- like the Club Pogo gaming site -- are part of it, but EA's plans to incorporate micro-transactions for downloadable content offer more interesting possibilities for packaged console and PC games.

Jenson pointed to the popularity of new content for The Sims 2, both professionally-produced expansions and new user-created avatars and other features, saying that those kinds of upgrades could eventually become a revenue source. "Ultimately what you'll see is a microtransaction environment where we'll be able to create additional content and sell it into these games," he said. "Over the long term, you'll also have an environment where we'll build tools that allow the user community to build content and sell it into these games themselves." ]

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this quite yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to result in game companies trying to nickel and dime us out of even more money. I guess getting a cut of subscription fees and the cash from game sales just isn't enough.

I'll reserve judgment for now, but it doesn't sound good. :oh_no:

Last edited:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
That horse already fled the barn, man.

Between online fees for MMO games like EQ, Star Wars Galaxies, PSO, and the $4.99 download packs for different games on XBox Live, this shit's already come into play.
I'm sure that suit at EA was just expounding upon what I imagine most companies are already salivating over. Bad enough we already usually fork out $50 a pop for these things.