Donald "Duck" Dunn Passed away today 13th May 2012

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Associated Press Article

Copy/Paste:
TOKYO (AP) — Bass player and songwriter Donald "Duck" Dunn, a member of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame band Booker T. and the MGs and the Blues Brothers band, has died in Tokyo. He was 70.

Dunn was in Tokyo for a series of shows. News of his death was posted on the Facebook site of his friend and fellow musician Steve Cropper, who was on the same tour. Cropper said Dunn died in his sleep.

Miho Harasawa, a spokeswoman for Tokyo Blue Note, the last venue Dunn played, confirmed he died alone early Sunday. She had no further details.

Dunn, who was born in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1941, performed on recordings with Eric Clapton, Neil Young and many others, and specialized in blues, gospel and soul. He played himself in the 1980 hit movie "The Blues Brothers."

He received a lifetime achievement Grammy award in 2007 for his work with Booker T. and the MGs.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
what a great player. sad to see him go.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
:crying:

I have to admit I never would have heard of him if not for the Blues Brothers, but I guess that was kind of the point of them forming the band, touring and doing that movie -- to bring back that style of music to the public consciousness. Weird that I grew up being able to list the members of the Blues Brothers band from memory, but not the members of contemporary popular bands of the '90s and 2000s.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Boy, this has been a rough year so far. Many greats are passing on, and too soon for many of them :(

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Didn't another member from The Blues Brother's band pass away last year? I almost thought this post got bumped because I watched The Blues Brothers religiously as a kid. (My parents taped it off of TV back in the 80's, I didn't know it was rated R till I was a teenager when I got it on VHS)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
RIP, looks like I'll be watching the blues brothers again in the near future.
Quite possibly one of my favorite movies ever.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Damn fine movie, damn fine music, damn fine suits (and sunglasses)
But lets not talk about the 2000 version...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Haven't seen 2000 yet and doubt I ever will. BB isn't BB without John, just like The Doors ain't The Doors without Jim or Monty Python isn't Monty Python without Graham Chapman. It just doesn't work.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The only good thing about Blues Brothers 2000 is the final jam session at the end. It was cool seeing them bring out a ton of legends but other then that the movie sucked.