DRAGON CRYSTAL: Game Gear Games on 3DS Virtual Console

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Game Gear games have just come to the Japanese 3DS VC. They have Sonic & Tails 2, Shinobi and Dragon Crystal.

Dragon Crystal is the first roguelike game I played. I thought it was so cool how the levels were random. I always assumed the game went on forever, but it turns out there are 30 floors.

I have a pretty good run going on it now. I'll post my high score if anyone else is playing.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
They have them for preview (movies/pics only) on our eShop right now, but I think they are going to be released within the next week or two. I'm pretty sure I have the JP version of Dragon Crystal floating around the place somewhere, but I'll probably pick it up for 3ds anyway; owing to the fact that I don't have a working Game Gear any more.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
According to Gamefaqs it's coming out in the US on March 15th, not sure where you are. I made it to level 10 and then met a HARD new enemy that killed me in four hits. The game offered me to continue! I haven't taken it, but pretty excited. Would be awesome to reach the end. I remember there was no password or save function.

I may pick up Shinobi GG as well, but not sure if I'll play it very much. I'm a big fan of Shinobi III on genesis.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The game is awesome, but I don't even want to know how you were supposed to pass it back in the day without restore points.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
The game is awesome, but I don't even want to know how you were supposed to pass it back in the day without restore points.

No kidding! The short battery life was a killer too!

My first try at getting winning:

Veteran
Floor 12
Gold 329
a bat killed me

I didn't run into any cursed items and all the scrolls and rings seemed to be beneficial. One time I read a scroll that slowed down my movement.

I'll try another attempt tonight.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I won't lie; I've been cheating my way through with restore points. I'm up to level 21. I'll do a straight run of the game at some point down the line, but I really wanted to see the later levels. Holy crap, are some of the later enemies tough.

PS - the 'hidden exits' pissed me off until I figured them out.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I won't lie; I've been cheating my way through with restore points. I'm up to level 21. I'll do a straight run of the game at some point down the line, but I really wanted to see the later levels. Holy crap, are some of the later enemies tough.

PS - the 'hidden exits' pissed me off until I figured them out.

Level 21? Awesome. I am using the two continues until i can make it through it once. The game is surprisingly deep. It's going to make me get into NetHack again.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Dragon Crystal was a great game. The learning curve takes awhile, but once you optimize your decision making you can win nearly every time unless you have extremely bad luck. Contrast that with the original Rogue which to this day I've never won without cheating by copying saves.

My favorites on the Game Gear were this, the SRPG Crystal Warriors, and Defenders of Oasis.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i loved these type of games on the earlier computers like atari 800. On the modern consoles, they annoyed me to death. I was used to saving games on the newer consoles, while i expected my game to eventually end on an Atari.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
i loved these type of games on the earlier computers like atari 800. On the modern consoles, they annoyed me to death. I was used to saving games on the newer consoles, while i expected my game to eventually end on an Atari.

This game gets my hardy recommendation. Buy it. Buy now.

I got up to level 27 before messing up Restore Point (I created a Restore Point for a Game Over screen instead of loading a previous one :emb: ). I've started anew and now I'm back to level 17.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Awesome. I'm a big fan of NetHack, never beat it though. I tried the Shiren series on the DS, but could never get into the art style and the aesthetic of the game. I like my roguelikes gritty.

So far my strategy for this one is to try all the potions and scrolls on the first few dungeon floors. They auto identify when you do it it seems. I hit a snag at about level 10 or 11 with gray floating orb things that are too tough to attack.

I haven't made a serious second run yet, but excited about it.

Really enjoying this game so far. Wish they put Fatal Labyrinth on the Genesis collection for PSP.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I have a live and let live philosophy in regards to the grey orbs. They won't move or attack unless you attack them first.

Using the cheater method I beat the game. Now that I've seen the ending I'll do a straight run. I feel pretty confident that I can get to floor 20 without dying, after that floor it feels almost like it's as much luck as it is skill.

PS - Fuck sand sharks.