Drive

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I know there's a movie thread...but really who checks that?

Anyone else see this movie? I drove out to see it with the gf tonight. She was down since Gossling was in it.

Very cool soundtrack, fans of the 80s electro thread will really dig it. Drive felt like a neo-noir homage to an 80s car flick and man, I've wanted to see something like that for a while.

I seriously recommend it to everyone. It kicked ass. In spite of the explicit violence, I'd say it's a really well done film.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Drive was directed by a Danish guy :cool: He's a complete tool, but he has some decent movies.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it. The movie sounds great, and it has Carey Mulligan and Christina Hendricks in it :drool_2: I don't know which of those two I'd choose if I had to :spock:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I want to see it so badly but I've been really really broke.

[Edit]
Ok Tinz, I think you've convinced me to scrounge up some change to go see a daytime showing. I'll probably go around lunchtime and check it out.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Gonna go see it tomorrow, really hyped. The director won best director at Cannes for this and also did Bronson and a series called Pusher which are supposed to pretty good.

Waiting to get the soundtrack when it comes out at the end of the month.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I just got back from the movie theater and all I gotta say is WHOA. I'm ready to suck the producers' dicks. Cars = win, soundtrack = win, Ryan Gosling's character = win. Win Win Win situation with this movie.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Totally badass movie. The acting and cinematography are top notch. It didn't even have that many car chases, but it more than made up for it's false advertising with some insane raw emotion and just in your face action and gore. I kept thinking "fuck yeah" the whole time I was watching it.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Speaking of gore...how did you all feel about that?

Spoiler:
For me the hotel scene and parking lot scene at the end were done very tastefully where as the elevator scene went on too long and the restaurant scene was way too explicit.

I think both of those scene would have benefited from the audience hearing the violence instead of seeing it. Graphics neck stabs and crushed skulls are rarely necessary imo.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Bronson is excellent

it's not for everyone but Hardy's character is one of the better bat-shit insane characters i've seen on film

only other film i've seen by the director was Valhalla Rising which was incomprehensible for the most part but it was also extremely violent so i kept with it until the end

much love for Ryan Gossling so i'm definitely interested in this one

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
They each star three different drug dealers. The star of the second film was the sidekick of the lead character in the first film, and the third film is about a drug lord fighting to keep his status against a younger gang that's moving in on his turf. I never saw the third one myself.

Refn's film Bleeder has much the same tone and roughness, and stars many of the same actors.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just got back from seeing Drive and it was great. Really great looking and all the performances were very solid. The whole movie had a very eerie trance like quality about it while also being very uneasy and tense only broken up by action.

It was nice to see Ryan Cranston and Christina Hendricks in a movie, I hope they get more film roles in the future.

Fantastic soundtrack that matched the movie perfectly.

The violence was pretty shocking but I don't think it was overdone.

The cinematography even on some of the very simple shots was amazing.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
the director, Nicolas Winding Refn's movies are all very visually pleasing to the eyes (even with violence) at times over indulgent (like Valhalla Rising)

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
rad82EA4drive2Dfront.jpg

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
*possible spoiler*
For those who saw this movie already did anybody notice how Ryan Gosling's movements while wearing his jacket sort of resembled Kavinsky in his Dead Cruiser video? Maybe I'm just wishfully imagining things but the moment I saw him walking around with his jacket I immediately was reminded of Dead Cruiser.

FF to the 2:04 mark and see if you saw it too.

I know I couldn't see it before but now wish I could unsee it

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Best film I've seen in a quite some time. Oh and SPIN... *DRIVE* with Mark Dacascos is fucking awesome. In fact I'd swear that very picture above is one I orignally scanned years ago for my FILM DEPOT website. Back then I didn't watermark stuff, but usually I can tell. Could be wrong though. *LOL*

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
For those of you who are unhappy with your Blu-ray covers, somebody took the time to make one worth of this film.

http://blog.signalnoise.com/2012/01/31/downloadable-drive-blu-ray-cover/

James White is extremely talented, the art used for that cover was first used in a poster he did for the movie (which I own) and a few are available in his store.

He's working on a second movie poster this time it's going to be for First Blood and it looks like it's going be a screenprint done by D&L (the printers behind all the Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse posters) So it should be very high quality. I have a feeling this dudes careen is about to really take off.

i_firstblood2.jpg

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
What are the "Pusher" films?

Just remembered this thread.
If you can't watch all 3, at least see the first one.

Drive kicked all sorts of ass. The soundtrack? Out of this world!
Cranston was great and I always loved his role in Malcolm in the Middle. Glad he's doing Breaking Bad.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
yeah, hands down one of the best movies i've seen this past year.

Gosling = win

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Saw it while it was in the theaters. Great movie. The way it was shot, as well as the soundtrack made it better.
Loved the 80s vibe. Loved the violence. Loved that it didn't hold your hand and explained everything to you. So much was said through silent moments.
Going to nab the soundtrack as well.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
After listening to the lyrics of "A Real Hero" I realized the song was about the plane that had crashed (safely) into the Hudson River.

"A pilot on a cool, cool 'morn
155 people aboard
All safe and all rescued
From a slowly sinking ship
Water warmer than his head so cool
In that tight bind knew what to do
And you
Have proved
To be
A real human being
And a real hero"

I didn't notice it until I heard "pilot", because I was first envisioning a cruise "ship". This would not be Italy's soundtrack.

I'm sure the airplane pilot and staff were much more proud of their actions than this song, but how cool to have such a compliment sang to you - and to hear it in a movie. I could only imagine the pilot in the theater saying, "Pfft, that song's about me" - if the pilot even knows.