Easiest, Simplest Console Mods?

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi I know not necessarily the hardest mod from what I've heard but I was going to attempt an Rgb Pc Engine Duo mod. However I have very little modding experience and could mess up these more expensive consoles.

It was suggested to me that I should try some easier and simpler mods on some cheaper and more available consoles, perhaps on the Snes, Megadrive etc. Some of these may still be hard for me but I could try the more simple ones if there are some.

In terms of modding here's my extensive CV;

Opened up Nes and did region free mod (stupidly easy).

Opened up X68000 and replaced floppy drive (harder than it sounds).

Opened up Snes I think and made region free (really easy).

Opened up a Saturn and tried soldering a chip in with a normal size soldering iron and my Mum's stitching magnifier (this was a long time ago and also busted the Saturn).

Opening up a Nes cart I think.

Modding a VGA cable to X68000 monitor output (I had quite a lot of help with that).

Not much here but a little.

I knew a guy who knackered a Sega Nomad trying to do the region free mod which I guess isn't an essential mod in a few ways with that system.

I've found one or two good mod sites but does anyone know of some of the easier ones to start with for Snes, Megadrive etc?

Anything would be cool.

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
I would normally suggest s-vid mod on a genesis, but that would be rather useless for you.

how ever, doing the genesis/mega drive region mods are easy, and a good starting point.

replacing LED's on various consoles are good practice, with pretty cool results....

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
If youre just starting, why not just take dead elecronics or useless electronics and practice soldering on that? Instead of potentionaly making an expensive mistake.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
I think gamecube mods are fairly simple believe its two wires to a type of switch for region us/jp reminds me i should open mine up and check it only plays us now thing wire came loose shotty work =/

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
region switch mod on a genesis/MD1 is so easy even I could do it. I am not a modder by any stretch but I did this one for fun and succeeded easily.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Buy a project from your local electronic store. Easy to put together and helps you practice your soldering. Try one with flashing LEDs.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
led mods on xbox 360 controllers are pretty cool but I don't know where to get those led lights