EL panel A6 replacement Goldie MVS 2 slot finished details

Mike26

McWow,
Hey I've been gone for a while (over a year) but I'm back in my NJ house where my arcades are and figured I'd finish off this final last thing, the EL panel Dilemma.

Cab finished, save for those wretched EL panels!
IMG_20110503_235215.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

It effects almost every MVS cab owner out there, and there have always been solutions, but most have been useless, awaiting verification forever, prototyping for over 2 years, etc. I was told a few years ago while waiting for the LED replacement that it wouldn't work for my 2 slot gold woody cab without cutting some wood away. Not gunna happen. I was upset and decided to wait.

Step 1:
If you are going to use the cab while the old EL panels are in the machine or no el panels at all, you should disconnect the EL transformer from running, since it will eventually blow out and it will suck. It will also prevent the sound buzz or high pitched wine heard through the speakers when the transformer voltage has no where to go...

Step 2:
Order the damn A6 EL panels! I used this link:
http://glowhut.com/a6-size-electroluminescent-back-lightpanellam6.html

Make sure you choose "WHITE" as your color, and 2 of them obviously. You don't need any power adaptors, these will solder in and the existing transformer will power these.

Other than this, I followed the guide found on these forums, found here

Here's 2 youtube vids I made:

Embedded vids are not working for me here's the links:

http://youtu.be/n9w1TI4D0Kc

http://youtu.be/zF_3QQSVml4

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I just did this on my 4 slot cab a few months ago. It's easy to do and works perfectly. I was waiting on that replacement idea one the members was working on for the last 2 years and I finally got fed up and went this route. I'm just pissed I waited so long to do it. Good job on that Goldie.

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
I notice that Glowhut.com has A6 panels you can cut now for about $3 more per.... Since the A6 panel is slightly larger than desirable, has anyone tried the version you can cut?

pipes

I notice that Glowhut.com has A6 panels you can cut now for about $3 more per.... Since the A6 panel is slightly larger than desirable, has anyone tried the version you can cut?

Interesting, I didn't know about that. Honestly though, I didn't find the larger size to be a problem at all. Probably not worth the extra money to have them cut in my opinion.

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
Last edited:

Mike26

McWow,
Chris, I see you race minibikes, siick. You got any mopeds as well?

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
I also did this with my 4-slot recently using the same white A6 EL panels from glowhut. The replacement process is ridiculously easy. Once everything's lit up and the mini marquee cards are in their slot, you don't really notice the larger panel size at all.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Awesome post guys :) I have been thinking about doing this with my 4 slot. It still needs a lot of cabinet work so not sure when I will get to this, but would love to have it done. I disconnected my EL panels when I first got it because at the time 2 were dim, 1 was barely visible, and 1 was completely out.

Good to see results on how glowhut's panels look, because I have been really tempted.

pipes

Awesome post guys :) I have been thinking about doing this with my 4 slot. It still needs a lot of cabinet work so not sure when I will get to this, but would love to have it done. I disconnected my EL panels when I first got it because at the time 2 were dim, 1 was barely visible, and 1 was completely out.

Good to see results on how glowhut's panels look, because I have been really tempted.

Here's a thread I started a while back with some pics that might be helpfull as well...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?227188-New-EL-panels-installed-!!...-PICS-ARE-UP&highlight=

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
Welp, I just broke down and ordered 4 A6 panels from Glowhut... $85.40 is what the total came to. I will take photos of the installation and report the results.

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
I installed the panels last night and all I have to say is... KICKASS.

First off, here are a couple photos to show you the size difference. Not only are the A6 panels a bit longer, they are also a HAIR thinner. It's not a big deal as they cover the entire window, but you WILL need to make sure you position the panels properly before adhesion.

EL_SIZECOMPARE1.jpg

EL_SIZECOMPARE2.jpg

What I did was I went by the "guides" that are printed on the PCB, I then test fitted the panel in the cab with the 4 marquee spots empty. I immediately noticed the two left panels were dead on.. but the two right panels were off to the right of each window by about 1/2" or so. After a few tweaks and re-testing, I got them dead on... take note of how far to the right of the silk screened "guides" the two right panels are...

EL_INSTALLED1.jpg

After I was sure of the panels being centered, I pushed each panel down to adhere. The adhesive that was left over after pulling off the original panels was sufficient to re-stick the panels...The fact that these panels had the contacts on the opposite side of the originals worked out for the best...it allows re-positioning at will if necessary as you have plenty of slack.

Here is how she looked when I tested with a blank panel...before I added a strip of aluminum tape across the top to block out the light... you can see the "aura" above the slot from the lamp being a little large.

EL_INSTALLED2.jpg

...and how it looks with my crappy inkjet photo paper repro marquees installed...

ELWORKINGCOLLAGE.jpg

Total cost was just over $85. At bit pricy... but well worth it. 2-slotters will be half that cost... and 6 slotters 50% more of course.

Last edited:

blkdog7

n00b
Looks cool frizzy! I have some NOS ones in mine but they aren't extra bright. Are those things crazy bright? Probably not worth the extra expense to upgrade but was curious if they are noticeably brighter than the originals.

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
Looks cool frizzy! I have some NOS ones in mine but they aren't extra bright. Are those things crazy bright? Probably not worth the extra expense to upgrade but was curious if they are noticeably brighter than the originals.

Honestly, I can't remember what an original one looked like from BITD... last time I saw a working panel was probably 20 years ago.

They are bright... but not blindingly bright.