EPROM Speeds, too slow cause corrupted graphics?

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
EDIT - seems I posted too soon. Triple-checked my soldering and looks like I didn't solder either the jumpers or the chip at LS08 properly - it's all working now :-) now to see if I've found an MVS game that the wife will play ;-)

Hi

I'm making an Ghostlop cart using the info from this thread mainly - http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...sion-MVS-cart.-Yes-I-know-bad-but-please-read.

I have the boards soldered up exactly how they are on mvs-scans using the exact same boards and I'm using the following ST branded EPROMS

V1 = 27C160
M1 = 27C1001 or 27C010
S1 = 27C1000
C1 = 27C322
C2 = 27C322

All the EPROMS are 100 speed (not sure what this means, but they have 100F1 on them), except the M1 and S1 which are 12F1 and 15F1 in that order. Admittedly, when I ordered the EPROMs I had no idea about speed, and now I understand that lower numbers are better?

Anyway, I'm getting corrupted background graphics. I've double checked soldering on the C1 and C2 EPROMs and it is fine, also checked the other chips and the jumpers.

The donor cart worked fine. If it makes any difference, the donor was AOF2 (PROGGSC and CHA256), which I then found out is missing a chip on the PROGGSC board - LS08. Without this chip I got green screen and clicking, so I ordered 74HC08D chips and popped one in place (that was the chip I could see on the photo on mvs-scans.

All EPROMs programmed and verified okay also.

So, could the EPROMs be too slow and cause graphical corruption?

ta
Pete

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, EPROM speeds are measured in nanoseconds, or ns. so 100ns is reasonably fast. 300ns is really, really slow. I'm not sure how fast EPROMs need to be in order to work on Neo carts... Maybe check ERPOMs on bootleg games?

Perhaps there's something else going on that's causing your problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I usually use 100ns or faster for building carts.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

According to SNK program manual the limit for the eproms is 200 ns.

Saludos