Extending 4 cart slots. Any suggestions before solder nearly 2000 pins?

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Like the title says. Going to extend the cart slots on an mv4s using IDE cable. Its going to involve soldering onto about 2000 pins. So i was hoping anyone might have suggestions before I commit senpuku halfway.

Thanks!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Change the case you're using. No case is worth rewiring MVS cart slots, they're 240 pins each.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Its a pc tower. Sourcing the tower was hard enough, and its metal frame has already been cut and modified to accept the mvs carts in a vhs/nes like fashion. And 4 spare slots have been mounted in place. This is the last step before fitting in a memory card reader and some wiring. Cant change it at this point.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
It's just not worth it man. Well, unless you like the idea of the 6 circles of wiring hell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
IDE isn't gonna cut it when it's that long. You're going to run into major problems.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
May I suggest doing something removable? like something that you insert on the MVS slots and connect to the external slots, instead of soldering directly to the board. It may be a little bit more expensive because you gotta get the edges to put inside the slots, but it's worth it, because that way if the MVS dies, it's way easier to replace.

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Even if its only an 18" run? What gauge wire do you suggest?

What board version is this exactly? Honestly, I think you'd run into more trouble trying to desolder the carts slots than the actual wiring.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
May I suggest doing something removable? like something that you insert on the MVS slots and connect to the external slots, instead of soldering directly to the board. It may be a little bit more expensive because you gotta get the edges to put inside the slots, but it's worth it, because that way if the MVS dies, it's way easier to replace.

Regards.

For a time I was going to use ISA card edges to put in the slots as the spacing between pins are the same. But I got concerned with it getting loose while the system is moved.

And @ Xian its an mv4fs. But I'm not planning on desoldeting the slots on this board. I have 4 additional cartridge slots that I desoldered off a dead mv4f. So I was going to wire from the bottom of top half of the board to these 4 additional slots. And see above for what my original plan was.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
What Xian Xi was talking about before is there's such as thing as resistance in electronics. You can't just expect a signal to go across a wire forever, eventually the signal will become too weak if you send it over a long enough wire. 18" is probably too long for MVS slots.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
What Xian Xi was talking about before is there's such as thing as resistance in electronics. You can't just expect a signal to go across a wire forever, eventually the signal will become too weak if you send it over a long enough wire. 18" is probably too long for MVS slots.

That's true. Which is why I wondered if thicker wire may help. I could always decrease the cable size as 18" was a maximum I was looking at. It's closer to 11"

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
IDE isn't gonna cut it when it's that long. You're going to run into major problems.
Totally agreed! The length of the wire is going to introduce a sh** tonne of noise on various lines. If it even works it won't be very reliable - think "crashes, sound problems galore".

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I agree that this isn't worth it. Troubleshooting anything will be a nightmare.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
That's true. Which is why I wondered if thicker wire may help. I could always decrease the cable size as 18" was a maximum I was looking at. It's closer to 11"

Thicker wire = less resistance but more capacitance.
Even if they did work at 18" there would be crosstalk galore unless the wires were individually shielded.
Like Gadget says, it might work, but intermittently. I wouldn't trust it.
Might have to admit defeat, bro. Sucks but there it is.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Is there anything specifically about the neo geo mvs that makes this unlikely to work? Or simply the length of wire (I kow IDE likely wont cut it but I have plenty of it so thought I'd give it a shot)? As ive done this with plenty of cartridge based consoles, but admittedly not at an 18" length. Gonna give it a shot anyway though with one cart at a time.

New the the neo geo so I don't yet know its modification limits.

What if I doubled up on the ide? Two ide wires per pin?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
It's basic electronics. Trying to carry unshielded signals over a long distance is going to cause problems, especially when you have 240 wires involved. Even if you shielded the wires (expensive), you're still stuck with the resistance issue caused by the long length of the wires. Even if you increased the thickness of the wires, you're still stuck with the capacitance issue as stated above. All you're going to do is make yourself one huge whopping mess. Yes, mounting MVS slots in a PC tower is kind of cool, but it's not worth wasting time on a soldering project doomed to failure.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
I'll see if I can rearrange things and decrease the distance to roughly 7". at 20 gauge I feel like 7" should work

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The best option is to make a case that doesn't require the cart slots to be rewired. I don't think you quite understand the pain and suffering you're trying to fling yourself into, on top of having to face the reality of strange unexplainable issues once you're done soldering.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Do you have a picture of what your work in progress is going to look like? Judging from just the written details, there is so much wrong with this idea. Ideally, should be mounting the entirety of the 4-slot in the orientation you'd like to have your cartridges inserted.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
The best option is to make a case that doesn't require the cart slots to be rewired. I don't think you quite understand the pain and suffering you're trying to fling yourself into, on top of having to face the reality of strange unexplainable issues once you're done soldering.

Yeah, something like this maybe: