Falklands Harrier Jets

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I recall as a kid footage of a Harrier in a valley lifting up to take out two Mirages flying overhead. Has anyone else seen this footage ? If so please link

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
I recall as a kid footage of a Harrier in a valley lifting up to take out two Mirages flying overhead. Has anyone else seen this footage ? If so please link

They had Mirages in the Malvines? Wow, I didn't know they had anything beyond sticks and stones.

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member

The Harrier GR3 is my favorite plane man, along with the later GR7 variant. I have all kinds of shit on it. I'll dig around and see if I can't find some footage. For now enjoy these photos and illustrations.

harriergr3.jpg

Harrier GR.3

harrier.jpg

Harrier GR.3

harriergr7.jpg

Harrier GR.7

harrierstrike.jpg

:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

aria

Former Moderator
Heheh, almost.

;)

Heck, we named a few our states based on their native names, but then we also gave some of the tribes new names like Squaw and Sioux. Some of which were actually insults in their languages.

I can imagine:

Colonist: "What do you call that tribe?"
Chief: "We call them the Bastards."
Colonist: "Oh, okay, so you're all the Bastards."
Chief: "What? No. We're not, we're better than they are."
Colonist: "Hey, this is America, everyone is equal, at least all of you are equal, which means get on the reservation!"
Chief: "But we hate those people."
Colonist: "I don't care, there's some lovely land out west you can live on, now move."

Sadly, that's pretty much how it went down. Last year I visited a fort in Iowa from the era when, before the Native Americans were forcibly moved even further west, the US military had to police the reservations --not because they were attacking colonists so much as attacking each other: both the former rival tribes as well as the existing tribes in the areas where the new tribes has been transplanted. It got bad enough that some tribes asked the same government that forced them out to defend them (then again, it was a part of the treaties, but its not like the US gov't was in the business of honoring those treaties at the time --they were sort of like modern insurance companies)

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
They had Mirages in the Malvines? Wow, I didn't know they had anything beyond sticks and stones.

During the Falklands war Argentine air force fighters also included Pacaras, Super Etendards, and Skyhawks.

Without the Harrier, Britain would quite possibly have lost those Islands. An interesting aside is the US military analysis of the situation at the point of the invasion (mostly believeing that the British could not retake the Falklands) and a dismissive attitude towards the Harrier.
Completely changed of course after the Harrier started to see action.
An extremely capable machine.

The other interesting aviation story of the conflict is the Vulcan bomber.
I remember seeing one fly overhead when I was a kid, really high, but just awe inspiring.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sadly, that's pretty much how it went down. Last year I visited a fort in Iowa from the era when, before the Native Americans were forcibly moved even further west, the US military had to police the reservations --not because they were attacking colonists so much as attacking each other: both the former rival tribes as well as the existing tribes in the areas where the new tribes has been transplanted. It got bad enough that some tribes asked the same government that forced them out to defend them (then again, it was a part of the treaties, but its not like the US gov't was in the business of honoring those treaties at the time --they were sort of like modern insurance companies)

One of the worst was among the Cherokee factions in the Indian Territory.

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
During the Falklands war Argentine air force fighters also included Pacaras, Super Etendards, and Skyhawks.

Without the Harrier, Britain would quite possibly have lost those Islands. An interesting aside is the US military analysis of the situation at the point of the invasion (mostly believeing that the British could not retake the Falklands) and a dismissive attitude towards the Harrier.
Completely changed of course after the Harrier started to see action.
An extremely capable machine.

The other interesting aviation story of the conflict is the Vulcan bomber.
I remember seeing one fly overhead when I was a kid, really high, but just awe inspiring.

Hmmm...interesting.

I know a guy who was a conscript in the Malvines, he always said they scarcely had enough funds to keep them dressed, fed, and so on. Maybe they spent all their money on planes? Heh

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Hmmm...interesting.

I know a guy who was a conscript in the Malvines, he always said they scarcely had enough funds to keep them dressed, fed, and so on. Maybe they spent all their money on planes? Heh

LOL, sounds a bit like the constant stream of news reports about the British army's equipment shortages in Iraq and Afghanistan now!
I'm sure equipment shortages always feel worse to conscripted troops who really dont want to be there.
But then when you think about it, we (the Brits) used container ships as makeshift carriers in the falklands.

As for the importance of Argentine 'air power' in the falklands, HMS Sheffield was sunk after being hit by an exocet missile fired by a Super Etendard, and Atlantic Converor (The makeship Carrier) was sunk after being hit by 2 exocets fired by Super Etendards.
The main threat to the British 'task force' was Argentine aircraft. The limited/and in some cases total lack of protection for the British warships from missiles often meant that helicopters were used as decoys....... with varying success.

The Harriers were absolutely vital.
They had been dismissed by some as 'too slow' and unfit for purpose, gimmicky and even 'toy-like'. In reality they were amazingly effective and versatile.

The Argentine forces fought bravely and honorably. It was a dumb war, and as far as Im concerned Galtieri and Thatcher should both rot in hell for dragging us into it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Super Etendards with Exocet anti-ship missiles rocked the the Brit's world.

Also I heard Brit's were dropping their FALs and taking up the Argentinian's FALs which had selective fire while the Brit's were semi-auto only. Although it my understanding the FAL doesn't have the most accurate/controllable automatic fire.

Last edited: