Fast and the Furious - my new-to-me car

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
So I posted about my run-in with a deer at the end of last year (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?278969-Oh-deer) with my manual Honda Element. Unfortunately, it is still in the shop and nowhere near fixed.

Fast forward to a couple of weekends ago, I saw this car ad and immediately noticed the stick. Turns out the original owner bought it when he was 75(!!), drove it until he developed Alzheimer's 3-4 years ago so it just sat in his garage. His daughter towed it to a mechanic and did a round of maintenance to get it in running condition again. My buddy and I drove a couple of hours from NJ to upstate NY to check it out. He owned a number of Mustangs/WRX STI/Civic SIs so I trust his expertise more than myself. Mechanically it was like new but the body did have some minor dings. Shifts were crisp and buttery smooth. This car redlines at 8k! Needless to say, I fell in love with it.

I didn't need another car and certainly didn't want to spend almost 8k on it, but YOLO (and VTEC) kicked in and my lovely wife was supportive. Since the bank was closed that day, I put a $500 deposit on it and left. The following morning, I called her to see if I could drive up and do the bank check/title transfer but she said someone messaged her that she can get 10k for it. Mind you, that someone said he was not interested in buying but only to help (or more like ruin it for other buyers). I was not happy with the situation since we shook hands and had a deal, but I understand how these things go so I just wished her good luck with it.

Surprisingly, she called me back about an hour later and said she would honor the deal. I guessed she came to her senses since I have money on hand to close the deal. Anyway, I drove it back this weekend and am now a proud owner of an unmodified, ultra low mileage '03 Acura RSX Type-S (41.7k miles on the odometer).

I am going to keep it stock and just enjoy the ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 144

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Very nice mate! Now you can really pick up the chicks!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Nice! I almost bought one of these back when they came out. Congrats!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nice, I had a friend that had one similar. He loved it, I don't think he should have ever traded it in.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Congrats! Looks super clean. Seems like all clean RSXs I see aren't a manual and definitely not a Type S. Such an amazing find and the price was definitely right. You have to love those low mileage cars owned by older folks. I ended up getting 95 Mustang GT Premium with just over 46k miles. He bought it and retired shortly after. I have an Integra Type R as well and have always been pretty excited about the Type S. Honda stuff from that period is awesome. You definitely have to appreciate the K series motor and I really love the styling of the RSX. It never looks outdated to me.

P.S. I appreciate the love for manuals. All my cars are manual other than my winter beater Jeep Liberty.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Congrats! Looks super clean. Seems like all clean RSXs I see aren't a manual and definitely not a Type S. Such an amazing find and the price was definitely right. You have to love those low mileage cars owned by older folks. I ended up getting 95 Mustang GT Premium with just over 46k miles. He bought it and retired shortly after. I have an Integra Type R as well and have always been pretty excited about the Type S. Honda stuff from that period is awesome. You definitely have to appreciate the K series motor and I really love the styling of the RSX. It never looks outdated to me.

P.S. I appreciate the love for manuals. All my cars are manual other than my winter beater Jeep Liberty.

You have a ITR! Those things cost more than a new car now regardless of mileage. Post some pics of it! ITR is better than Type-S (due to better handling and LSD), so I don't think you are missing much.

I agree about manuals, I just learned last year and I can't get enough. Even traffic jam doesn't bother me much, it is not as bad as people make it out to be. I noticed that used manual cars go for a lot now, any time dealers get a manual as a trade-in, they pretty much sell immediately.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
You have a ITR! Those things cost more than a new car now regardless of mileage. Post some pics of it! ITR is better than Type-S (due to better handling and LSD), so I don't think you are missing much.

I agree about manuals, I just learned last year and I can't get enough. Even traffic jam doesn't bother me much, it is not as bad as people make it out to be. I noticed that used manual cars go for a lot now, any time dealers get a manual as a trade-in, they pretty much sell immediately.

Yeah, manuals are damn tough to find and always go for a good chunk. The ITR doesn't get a whole lot of action since I live in the Midwest and driving year round is definitely not an option. I bought it around 10 years ago. I got a lot of shit from people for spending around 17k for it back then, but prices for them are insane now. It's a 97 and it's approaching 31k miles. It's unmodded and in extremely good shape. It has a clean title and no theft attempts. All my friends are pushing me to sell and buy a house since the prices have gone crazy. I've seen some with similar condition and mileage hit 50k + on bring a trailer. It has always been my dream car so it would be real tough to sell. It is easily my favorite car I have ever driven. I've always liked the Type S as it would be a fun car to actually daily drive and not be worried about getting it stolen like an ITR. I get they are on 2 different levels, but it would be nice to have a somewhat similar experience without the worries of driving a rare care. That's why I got the Mustang lol. Never thought I would own one, but it was in such amazing shape and low mileage. For once it was a manual and the price was definitely right. Here are a few pics of both:

Screenshot_20200226-152915~2.png

Screenshot_20200226-152944~2.png

Screenshot_20200226-152836~2.png

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Wow, your ITR is sweet. Definitely hold onto it, if nothing else, the value will likely keep going up. At some point, it becomes too expensive to drive so it becomes a museum piece, then you can consider selling it to fund other purchase.

I have always wanted to buy a S2000, but tbh, it has also appreciated too much. I would end up paying good money for one and then I would be afraid to drive it (not even from theft, but from stupid NJ drivers with their giant SUVs that gives no f). I am glad I found this so I will daily it without worries.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nice. I was looking at the RSX but went with another Impreza Sport Wagon.

That ITR is sick.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Man that’s a diamond in the rough right there. Looking for low mileage late model Honda’s and Acura’s is usually a fools errand with nothing but beat to death rice boxes or salvage title vehicles. I think $8k is a good price considering the rarity of RSX-S in that condition, good shit OP! I’ll always have a soft spot for Honda, and still wish I held on the ‘90 Legend I had a few years ago with like 45k on the odometer.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The mechanics still have your car after 2 months, wtf

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The mechanics still have your car after 2 months, wtf

Coming up on 3 months... to be fair, it wasn't the mechanic's fault. It took me 2 months to source replacement parts. He worked on it for about 3 weeks but one of the old part didn't work. He ordered a replacement but THAT didn't work as well. I ordered a cheap replacement on ebay and waiting for it to get delivered.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Man that’s a diamond in the rough right there. Looking for low mileage late model Honda’s and Acura’s is usually a fools errand with nothing but beat to death rice boxes or salvage title vehicles. I think $8k is a good price considering the rarity of RSX-S in that condition, good shit OP! I’ll always have a soft spot for Honda, and still wish I held on the ‘90 Legend I had a few years ago with like 45k on the odometer.

Right on, I see plenty of old Honda modified to shit with at least 150k miles on the clock, and they still ask for 3-5k. You should have kept that Legend with that few miles, they don't make them like they used to. Did you see Honda's recent reliability rating? They are actually below Nissan (lol), and considering Nissan's CVT fiasco, that is a pretty low bar to fall under.