Faulty video in AES-help

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Hi,

I have this faulty AES console from a friend of mine, who wanted me to take a look at it, but I have really no idea of what could be causing the problem.

The symptoms are:

-B/W display
-Only some elements of the game are displayed (for example, in the boot intro, the flipping NEOGEO logo is missing, and in AOF2, the characters and BGs are missing)

However, the sound and controls seem yo be working fine.

Looking at the board, nothing seems to be broken or burnt.

What I noticed though, is a cable wired on the back of the board, that goes from the on/off switch to one of the SNK chips marked as NEO-GO (I don't know if this is normal).

Anyway, anyone has any idea of what could the problem be?

Thanks,

[OCEAN]

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
[OCEAN] said:
What I noticed though, is a cable wired on the back of the board, that goes from the on/off switch to one of the SNK chips marked as NEO-GO (I don't know if this is normal).

That's not normal at all. That chip is found on later revision boards and on such boards the power switch is on the ground line so that wire would be ground. Where does it go exactly? Can you post any pics?

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
MKL said:
That's not normal at all. That chip is found on later revision boards and on such boards the power switch is on the ground line so that wire would be ground. Where does it go exactly? Can you post any pics?

There you go, front and back pics of the board (~300k each image)

Board-Front

Board-back

It's a PAL ver. AES with serial no. 032608

Thanks for the help,

[OCEAN]

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I'd try re-flowing the solder joints on the SONY CXA video encoder chip.

Wire looks like more grounding for the power switch? :spock: