Finnicky xbox

NebraskaDragon

GO BIG,
My xbox does not load games reliably anymore, and occasionally they freeze up in-game. My guess is the DVD drive. What I was wondering is if I switch the drive with a new $25 DVD drive would it possibly solve the problem, and if it would even be compatible with the Xbox? Any suggestions?

Curt

apostate
Your drive is probably one of the older Thomson Drives, that were on the first xboxs as I understand it.

There are 3 types of Xbox drives/manufactures as far as I know. Thompson (bad), Samsung, and Phillips.

There are some guides on xbox-scene.

Here's a guide for installing a Desktop DVD drive in your xbox.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/dvddrive.php

Enjoy

Search around the Hardware tutorials for other useful things.

If you don't want to do it that way, it's possible you might be able to buy a Samsung or a Phillips model that would easily replace your current drive. Check the "Resellers" link on Xbox-scene.

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I'd go with a Samsung drive. They are supposedly the most reliable, and also play CD-R's, whereas the Phillips will not. The Thomson drives ... well they just suck all around.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
My xbox is from 2002 or 2003 and it still rockz! No problems! Plus I bought it used. Yay! :buttrock:

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Yeah samsung all the way man, worth everypenny, look for someone who sells them in single lots, otherwise you may get a faulty one in return again.

Anyway theres two revisions of the samsung now, but both are excellent, if you find a new (this years manufactured) drive then good score take it.