folksoul, hmmmm...not so much.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i was planning on grabbing this but the demo has turned me off it a bit.

-looks open but is actually a bunch of invisible wall corridors outside with a minimap on the screen.
-each area is small and you go through "doors" which are arbitrary points where you move from one area to another, i hate that shit.. really disjoints the experience.
-some slowdown when you have 5+ enemies and a glowy attack going on.
-alot unnecessary (imo) talking and moving around village etc in between what is basically a slow paced action game. described as an "action rpg" but seems more action to me.
-lots of crappy out of place looking "barriers" blocking off progress/paths. terrible japanese game design staple.
-i like keeping my ps3 controller cabled, why do i have to jerk the joypad around so much with certain enemies.
-terrible camera control, slow, no inversion options (might just be demo though it's japanese so prolly not) and often facing the wrong way.

+nice design/art in places.
+can collect heaps of different "folks" and combo them to a limited degree as you can have up to 4, one on each face button ala items in zelda.
+it's a demo of a new game, bout time.

seems pretty meh to me.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I personally think the game looks beautiful and is fun to play. Cant wait for it to come out.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Fakk2 said:
I personally think the game looks beautiful and is fun to play. Cant wait for it to come out.

if you were pretty much any other member i'd agree to disagree.

you however are a retard so...

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
beelzebubble said:
if you were pretty much any other member i'd agree to disagree.

you however are a retard so...
Nah, he's kind of a reverse-whore: make him pay enough money, and he'll love you forever.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
its just basically a high poly ps1 game

absolute fucking shite

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just played through the demo today. I enjoyed the demo, but am still unsure whether or not to purchase the game. I like the idea of stealing the folks and using their power, and the sixaxis gimmick is kind of neat, but the game still feels a bit slow. Also, the camera controls are terrible. I just don't understand why Sony cannot get camera control down properly. Anyway, on the fence with this one. The demo was fun to play, but not sure it the premise will start to get old or not halfway through....

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
For those who have no idea what they are talking about, I have a full demo walkthrough in HD on my site :P

Anyway, Im torn on whether or not Ill buy it. I think it comes down to if I have spare cash with all the other games coming out.

Seijuro Hiko

Camel Slug
I like this game a lot, especially the design and style. Can't wait for the US release.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Art direction, visuals, music, and story all seem top notch.

The id sucking idea is quite cool, and the implementation seems well done too. I read some promo blurb yesterday that said there are over 100 forces in the game, and seen as you can add or remove them from your current selection at will, it should make for lots of variation and some strategic play.

Level design seems to be your standard Game Republic half assed effort once again. Seen as level design was the weakest aspect of Genji, it is surprising to see practically the same system used again here.

Wife played through the demo last night and liked it!

Overall I'm pretty tempted to get this, but it comes out next week and I just got Ninja Gaiden Sigma, so timing wise it isn't good. Other stuff coming out for the PS3 this month too so it is going to see quite a bit of competition (for a change).

Edit:

For what it's worth, Famitsu gave this a favourable review.

FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou (Sony): 8, 9, 8, 8 - (33/40)

Last edited: