Foot switch as controller button

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Hi guys
I got myself a foot pedal to be used for a button for the Neo Geo. It doesn't really matter what button on the controller as I can remap it with an adapter.
When the pedal is pressed the button should be activated and when pedal is released so should the button be.
Here's the diagramme on the switch:
Switch_1.jpg
And some pictures of the contact:
Switch_1b.jpgSwitch_1c.jpg
Here's a better diagramme how it's wired:
Diagram.png

I haven't soldered in my life but thought this could be a perfect first project to start.
Is this even possible and if so which wires should be rewired?

Thanks in advance

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
It's definitely possible. The Neo's controllers are just simple switches. Based on the diagram it looks like white should go to a button pin and red should go to ground, black not connected.

Not sure why you have B and left connected? That might even do damage. And connecting A to ground is as if A is always pressed.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
that diagram gives me a headache...WTF...
Neo Geo buttons are passive and can be wired as so...

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
It's definitely possible. The Neo's controllers are just simple switches. Based on the diagram it looks like white should go to a button pin and red should go to ground, black not connected.

Not sure why you have B and left connected? That might even do damage. And connecting A to ground is as if A is always pressed.

All right thank you. So this should work?
Diagramme2.png
I didn't wire this btw, it's a generic pedal and this is how it came from the factory.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
All right thank you. So this should work?
Probably. Do you have a multimeter? Put it in continuity mode, attach the probes to those two pins. If pressing the pedal makes it beep you should be good.

If you don't, you can also just try it if you don't mind risking your system. FWIW I have found shorting controller pins can force the system to reset but no real damage occurs as long as you don't keep doing it.

Reactions: CMS