Fox news is the most trusted news channel...

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I usually don't post topics, but this is too hilarious to pass up.

A new national survey from Public Policy Polling (D) finds an amazing result: The most trusted name in TV news, the only one that more Americans trust than distrust, is...Fox!

Respondents were asked whether they did or did trust the various news outlets. Fox turned out to be the only one with a positive score, at 49% yes to 37% no. CNN was at 39%-41%, NBC 35%-44%, CBS 32%-46%, and ABC 41%-46%. The pollster's analysis finds a high level of polarization, with 74% of Republicans trusting Fox, and no more than 23% of Republicans trusting anybody else. Smaller majorities of Democrats trust all the other outlets and distrust Fox. Independents register negative ratings for all the news outlets, but Fox comes the closest at 41%-44%.

"A generation ago you would have expected Americans to place their trust in the most neutral and unbiased conveyors of news," said PPP president Dean Debnam, in the polling memo. "But the media landscape has really changed and now they're turning more toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear."

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmem...the-most-trusted-name-in-tv-news.php?ref=fpb#

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I usually don't post topics, but this is too hilarious to pass up.

A new national survey from Public Policy Polling (D) finds an amazing result: The most trusted name in TV news, the only one that more Americans trust than distrust, is...Fox!

Respondents were asked whether they did or did trust the various news outlets. Fox turned out to be the only one with a positive score, at 49% yes to 37% no. CNN was at 39%-41%, NBC 35%-44%, CBS 32%-46%, and ABC 41%-46%. The pollster's analysis finds a high level of polarization, with 74% of Republicans trusting Fox, and no more than 23% of Republicans trusting anybody else. Smaller majorities of Democrats trust all the other outlets and distrust Fox. Independents register negative ratings for all the news outlets, but Fox comes the closest at 41%-44%.

"A generation ago you would have expected Americans to place their trust in the most neutral and unbiased conveyors of news," said PPP president Dean Debnam, in the polling memo. "But the media landscape has really changed and now they're turning more toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear."

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmem...the-most-trusted-name-in-tv-news.php?ref=fpb#

I watch Fox news. I like to get both viewpoints. I feel that most Americans are polarizing their beliefs to either the left or the right, and in effect, they are becoming stupider. Liberals should watch Fox, and conservatives should watch CNN. Of course, that's not the world we all live in.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
i have more of a problem with fox's method of presentation than i do with their content

all news outlets are biased one way or the other, but fox is way too sensationalistic

if you can tune that out, it's just another news channel

when the time comes that you think you've found an unbiased news source, it's time to flip the switch in the back of your head and turn your fucking brain back on

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
my dad called me a liberal wacko for listening to npr.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
www.bbc.co.uk

there you go.

Fox isn't just right leaning, they outright lie, manipulate facts, and have even been known to photoshop images of people to make them look worse.

There have to be better places to get your conservative news.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
all news outlets are biased one way or the other, but fox is way too sensationalistic

Yeah, people like Beck or Hannity are just there to appeal to people who already believe what they're saying.

Fox News doesn't push a sensationalized nutjob style of agenda onto people hoping to sway them. They just give some people what they're looking to hear.

Supply and demand applies to media voices/opinions.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Zombie Reagan:2012!

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
what about comedy central?

thats where i get my news.:emb:

SSS

neo retired
So a good portion of this country's citizens are retarded. That's not really news.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
I don't fault Fox, I have a friend, fairly liberal himself, who is a producer there and he made a great point. It's all about demographics, if the viewership of FNC were 18-35 year old female liberals, then the programming would reflect that. Instead, the viewership is 40-65 white conservative men, so the programming reflects that. It makes sense, TV is a business, and FNC still has a very competent straight news team led by Shep Smith.

If I have to watch news, I only watch CNN, as much as Keith Olbermann makes me laugh, and as much as I agree with Rachel Maddow on a policy level...talking heads just piss me off. Same goes for Fox, which used to have semi-insightful conservative commentary before Glenn Beck came on the scene. Now it's just a circus.

CNN has no commentary, they have equally annoying talking heads on both sides, and Anderson Cooper is a great anchor.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I don't trust people that have a last name for a first name.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
when the time comes that you think you've found an unbiased news source, it's time to flip the switch in the back of your head and turn your fucking brain back on
Agreed.

Out of the available 24 hour news networks, BBC does seem to strive for more objectivity than the stuff we have here domestically.

what about comedy central?

thats where i get my news.:emb:
Nothing to be ashamed of...I trust Stewart & Colbert more than anyone else out there, especially after Stewart masterfully explained why the format of 24 hour news channels (particularly CNN) is loaded with pure suck back in October:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-12-2009/cnn-leaves-it-there

aria

Former Moderator
Anyone who trusts Fox or CNN is retarded. Anyone who watches that shit should be embarrassed.

Absolutely.

But more to galfordo's point, Rupert Murdoch influence has started to negatively affect the WSJ. Its news stories have started to be a little more sensationalized, rather than being more business-oriented-conservative examinations of various stories. It isn't terrible yet, but its a bit alarming.

The WSJ/NYT combo is still the best way to get news.

J. Max

judas,
Fox News outright lies more than any other network. The reason that people trust them is because they have the largest audience and that audience hears what they want to hear from them. Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly are absolutely despicable people.

I'd be willing to bet that MSNBC would have been number two for the same reason (they weren't included, apparently), although Maddow and Olbermann aren't even on the same planet as Beck and and O'Reilly. Rachel Maddow is a Rhodes scholar, Glenn Beck dropped out of Yale after taking one class. (He was admitted as a "non-traditional student" too.) Beck is also a Mormon who seems to follow the radical, siege mentality wing of the LDS church. ("Everything is Satan's tool to get us and we have to avoid it". He has been censured by the church in the past.)

O'Reilly is even worse. He used to host Inside Edition, which is one of the most sensationalist pieces of garbage to ever hit the airwaves. He lies and twists the truth about just about everything and seems to be seriously mentally deranged.

Olberman is the liberal version of this. He is way, way over the top, but at least he admits it. And he has some political chops and academic credentials to back himself up.

J. Max

judas,
Absolutely.

But more to galfordo's point, Rupert Murdoch influence has started to negatively affect the WSJ. Its news stories have started to be a little more sensationalized, rather than being more business-oriented-conservative examinations of various stories. It isn't terrible yet, but its a bit alarming.

The WSJ/NYT combo is still the best way to get news.

Don't read the editorial page of the WSJ. It's awful.

Neogeofan12

Banned
On my campus if you are a business student (me) you are force to subscribe to the WSJ for about $14 a year.

I don't read it, I just throw it in the trash or use it to clean my ass. :tickled:

aria

Former Moderator
Don't read the editorial page of the WSJ. It's awful.

Oh, I avoid the editorial page in general. Never very interesting. I can read the news and form my own opinions. I do find some of their analysts off of the editorial pages to be readable. Occasionally Peggy Noonan, that guy with the beard or the others will write something interesting.

FT is probably better, IMO.

If you want to see what the WSJ should fear turning into, peruse the IBD. I picked up a half dozen issues before I just couldn't take it seriously anymore.

aria

Former Moderator
On my campus if you are a business student (me) you are force to subscribe to the WSJ for about $14 a year.

I don't read it, I just throw it in the trash or use it to clean my ass. :tickled:

I'm sure you'll be a shining star on the job market.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Believe it or not, there's still some quality stuff on TV left. Sunday talkshows are to this day are the best way to watch politicians spew their BS and writhe uncomfortably. As far as the cable networks go, John King is the best at it.

But newspapers are jokes as well, do we really think that the musings of Krugman, Dowd, Rich, et al mean anything anymore? American papers don't have insightful commentary anymore, and after the debacle that was the US coverage of the 2008 elections, I don't know if I could ever give them a second look again.

If I have to read on dead trees, I stick with the FT, The Economist, National Review, and The Nation.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
"But the media landscape has really changed and now they're turning more toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear."

Somehow, Americans have done it. They've managed to assimilate a greater breadth of knowledge and get dumber in the process.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Judging from your posts, I have a feeling you do that with any example of printed word material you come across.