FS: hackintosh netbook msi wind plus extras

Mike26

McWow,
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi I want to sell my msi wind u100 I've used as an awesome travel companion and college notebook as well as a midi controller for my keyboards over the years.

The specs:

This wind is currently running OSX 10.6.5 VANILLA meaning it runs everything native in osx. It hauls ass for a netbook, and all features work perfectly.
120GB WD SATA harddrive
1GB on board ram (upgradable to 2/3 gigs with additional ram stick)
stock 1.6ghz processor with msi overclock option to 2.0 ghz
Wireless card 1490 wifi card upgraded for greater compatibility

I am a frequent member and poster on the msiwind.net forums, now known as insanelymac.com:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

I've upgraded the wifi card to a dell 1490 wireless card for perfect compatibility with both windows 7 and osx. Right now I have it booting into OSX but you can install other os's such as windows 7, windows xp, ubuntu, and even multiboot if you wanted.
It's still got the windows xp code on the bottom should you want to reinstall winxp sp3…

I bought a macbook pro in june of 2010 and no longer find myself using this msi wind hackintosh. It sits on my desk quietly blinking waiting for a good use. It traveled with me through East Africa, Tanzania climbing Kilimanjaro, rafting the Nile in Uganda, and getting robbed with me in Nairobi Kenya.

It's got a 3 cell battery that holds a charge well, but it won't last long since it's only a 3 cell. I get maybe 1 hour 10 minutes on battery.

I've also done some mods to the machine:
1. Installed a newer more compatible wifi card (dell 1490 - perfect compatibility with osx)
2. added a logitec neoprene sleeve that fits it perfectly, see pictures (green and brown)
3. opened and cleaned the whole system incld. fan
4. Reapplied artic silver compound to cpu and heatsink post africa trip
5. Installed a new bios that lets you overclock the processor from 1.6 ghz to 2.0 ghz when power supply is plugged in.

Software currently installed:
Microsoft Office 2011
Apature 3
NTFS read/write access

Notes:
While i was in africa the power supply cable started to disconnect from the tip of the unit, which meant I couldn't charge the netbook without twisting the cable. I tried to repair it myself McGyver style with knife and an inch of electrical tape I had on something else. I got it working and charging again and made it to Uganda. While I was in Kampala the cable broke off when my travel pal touched it. I was sad and depressed that my netbook had no way to charge and he suggested we go to town with the power supply brick and see if someone could lend us a soldering iron, which i would have no problem repairing it with that. I found a small hut with electrical supplies and showed the kid what i needed, he grabbed a sharpened-down knife and grabbed my power-supply brick and got to work. I was scared he would ruin it worse, but after ten minutes he had the power supply back in order soldered together, taped up perfectly i couldn't believe the work he did. I watched him skillfully and gracefully cut away the connector, solder the points back together with a generator, then melt the plastic back together, covering the connections with electrical tape. He tied off a section for slack and now 3 months later the power supply brick is still running good as new.

This machine is the perfect apple computer for someone who wants to check out apple but doesn't want to blow tons on an apple machine. It is also really good for a traveler or backpacker like myself who is worried about getting stuff stolen, this way you'r only out a few hundred… OSX mackintosh runs real well on these little notebooks, you won't find a better netback spec'd for mackintosh use, check out insanelymac for more info.

Price: Asking $275 obo

Pictures:
IMG_20110509_163356.jpg

IMG_20110509_163415.jpg

IMG_20110509_163447.jpg

IMG_20110509_163541.jpg

IMG_20110509_163602.jpg

Last edited: