Fun with shipping...

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Folks,

When packing boxes, use enough packing to fill all the space inside the boxes and overdo the tape. You can't use enough tape at times and remember to tape across the top and bottom of the box!

If you don't pack the box tight then things will shift and bounce around the inside of the box, destroying the box and possibly the board inside.

This box didn't have enough packing. It also didn't have enough tape. The MV4 inside busted through the corner of the box and by some small miracle was not physically damaged. The feet were OK, the board corners were OK, and even the eject ears on the 60-pin ribbon cable connectors were OK.

P_20160108_122235.jpg

P_20160108_122259.jpg

The repair request form even made it without getting lost somewhere along the way. The shipper was VERY lucky on this one.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tell me about it. The worst is when people think they packed it good, but used crumpled newspaper.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The only way to know if you've packed something good enough IMHO, is if you can safely stand on your package without fear of damaging it. The majority of the people loading, unloading, and sorting your packages through these various companies are 20 year olds who honestly don't give a fuck about your shit. Plan for battle accordingly.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Yeah, someone just shipped me a Sega Genesis and only used a single little sheet of bubble wrap on the console itself. It was rattling around in there like crazy. The prongs of the AC adapter had punch a couple holes in the box during shipment. I could see right into the box. Luckily, nothing was damaged.

I also had someone send me a fat PS3 system bundle with no packaging and the thing was broken into a few pieces...but still worked. I don't know what some people are thinking when they get this stuff ready for shipping.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Idiot sellers on eBay not knowing how to package correctly is unfortunate but understandable.
What really bothers me are the big companies (Amazon, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc) who use zero protection whatsoever.

First-World problems...yes... but it is frustrating when you consistently receive damaged slip covers on blu-ray's, corner wear on anime boxsets, outer console boxes that look like shit due to no packaging consideration whatsoever.

Idiot sellers on eBay not knowing how to package correctly is unfortunate but understandable.
What really bothers me are the big companies (Amazon, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc) who use zero protection whatsoever.

First-World problems...yes... but it is frustrating when you consistently receive damaged slip covers on blu-ray's, corner wear on anime boxsets, outer console boxes that look like shit due to no packaging consideration whatsoever.

That absolutely lights me up. I've started buying a lot of hardcover books and such from other sources b/c Amazon throws them in an envelope half the time. I remember buying the Bond Blu-ray set a couple years back, the one that came with a hardcover of all the movie posters. They shipped that in an envelope. I think it was $150 on sale.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I once bought a mint MOTW US kit, seller used MVS Kit box as the package itself. Put a label and that priority tape all over it. I got a full refund.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
HEY! I use crumpled newspapers!... WTF...

You calling me a bad shipper?:(...

xROTx

PS. That's some pretty poorass shipping btw channelwilly pal..

EDIT: No one has ever complained about how i pack and ship a parcel... EVEN tho i use crumpled up newspapers... It's not what you use... it's how you USE it:D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
EDIT: No one has ever complained about how i pack and ship a parcel... EVEN tho i use crumpled up newspapers... It's not what you use... it's how you USE it:D

The problem is that most people that use the crumpled newspaper don't push it down to stuff it in, they leave it "airy". If you pack it in there it can work no problem.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The problem is that most people that use the crumpled newspaper don't push it down to stuff it in, they leave it "airy". If you pack it in there it can work no problem.

YUP... thats what I do... I make sure my stuff is NUCLEAR proof... i also wrap the whole parcel in brown tape...

...You know me pal... customers and friends deserve only teh best of my services:D

xROTx

PS. My rep isn't worth people bitchin' about shipping... geez:p

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
One that always gets me with boards too is REMOVE THE FEET. I've had 2 boards come with broken corners becase the seller didn't take the PCB feet off and when the corner of the box got bumped there goes the corner of the board :/
When I ship a board I wrap it in a layer of anti static wrap or put it in an anti static bag then wrap that in bubble wrap and fill up the box tight. No reason to skimp out on packing especially is shipping flat rate

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've had an MV2 board send to me in a long, large flat rate box just by itself. At the time, I had no way to test it, so I did a quick and dirty consolization to it and luckily it still worked.

I usually wrap up stuff in a bunch of bubble wrap and either use packing peanuts, newspaper, or those shipping air pockets. Tape it up several times at the seams.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
People really should be using bubble wrap on the OUTSIDE of the package.

Got a Dreamcast with stuff LOOSE in a shoe box once. :hammer: