Galaga : Just showing some love....

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Felt the need to add this here. I'm not the hugest purist in shmups, I pretty much like all of the titles I play, but only ever played what my friends had, magazines recommended etc, hense why I haven't posted in this area before.

Just had to give a shout out to Galaga.

What a game. Along with Pacman, its probably the only game of that very early generation of games that still can hold my interest and still feels fresh to this day. The first time I ever4 saw it was on a cocktail table at a camp site I was staying at. My parents wouldn't let me play it but I sat at that table watching it for ages. There's something mathematically beautiful in the way the enemies move, so precise, so perfect. Amazingly the first time I ever played the game was many, MANY years later on Mame, and it did not disapoint me. Its such an advancement on Space Invaders, Galaxian etc, in my opinion it still stand up well when put next to modern shooters. I'm not always the biggest fan (especially for the period they seemed to just copy every sucessful Sega game) but for this game I say, Well played Namco :buttrock:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Galaga deserves a lot of love. It was a terrific game.

I remember when I discovered the Galaga machine down the street from my house. I spent many hours in that arcade that summer pumping all the quarters I had into that machine hah. It was a sad day when they closed down that arcade...he had so many classics in there.:crying:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Every time i see a galaga cab I put a coin in it. Galaga is the best shmup of all time. It never gets tiring. I love playing it with the 2 way joystick.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Great game. Timeless.

Video game developers can learn a lot from games like this and pac-man. It's a pretty good achievement to still be regarded as one of the best shooters ever, like 25 years later.

I too play this game almost everytime I see a Galaga cab somewhere. Too bad the PCB is so damn pricey.

Thiessen

Camel Slug
:) Glad its not just me, many people balk at game quite THAT old still being playable today, but Galaga is just one of those games that I never get tired of. I wouldn't even improve the graphics or sound, they do their job perfectly and the clarity and definition between each sprite etc do the job so well... thinking about it perhaps the only games of a similar era I also play are Rally X/New Rally X (Namco again!) or Bubble Bobble - but that game is of the next generation really.

The PCB IS very expensive for Galaga I noticed that. However there are various compilations, stand alone units etc which play it legally as well as teh romz. I also found the famicom/nes port to be pretty good, although I've only played it through pirate compilation carts / cheap famiclones...

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Come to think of it, the only classic shmups that I really enjoy are Galaga and 1942. And I also wouldn't change the graphics at all. Good classic fun. Glad I have my Namco Collection for PS2.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I have Galaga on both Namco collection 1 & 2 pcbs. Pretty damn good compilations, but Galaga is the crown jewel on both. Pretty good deal to get either collection considering they are newer boards, small and don't require jamma adaptors. Also, Galaga alone usually goes for around $200ish.

Been playing Galaga for the past few weeks. Really hard to keep 2 ships linked on the harder stages (for me its around stage 18). I cannot crack 200,000 points :( but I will someday...

Droid

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Galaga such a timeless classic. Even with todays shooters that have a "millon bullets" on the screen, i can all ways go back to.. Galaga for some old school fun.

Heck befor the local arcade here closed up they still had a Galaga cab.

Imagine that :cool:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Galaga is goodness. Then again, so is Space invaders 95. Man I loved that version of Space invaders. Probably among the best sequels I've seen to an original like Strike Force was for Defender. I can probably play that until the end of time...for me that is. :)

Galaga arrangement was also very nifty and added some neat other stuff to it. Of course, it was not for those apt for seizures. Those bonus rounds were practically vertigo-inducing.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'd only play Galaga for the first few stages; a classic for sure but sooner or later I'd get bored.
Now Galaga Arrangement, I'll play that until the end.

Crazy to hear the PCB going for so much, but then again, the only Galaga cabs I've seen lately are those Anniversary ones that have both Pac-Man and Galaga in it, nothing original.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I put tons of money into Galaga and Gaplus, excellent games and still highly playable, at least for me. The ship stealing and expansion feature alone made my day back then.

Galaga 88 is also very nice.

One day I will buy myself a dedicated Gaplus cab and beat the fucker... damn tough game... gives you a real test for your hand-to-eye coordination skills... :)

Thiessen

Camel Slug
NEgO MANIAC said:
Please don't tell my Neo Geo collection, but I regard my Galaga cabinet as the crown jewel of my video game collection. Can you believe someone gave this to me just to make room? Best-Game-Ever.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/5575/rightsidekx5.jpg

Wow someone just GAVE you that?!

So glad to hear more people who agree with me on this game. Anymore info about the Namco classic pcbs? How many games, where can I get one etc? Thanks :)

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
namco collection #1 has Galaga, Mappy and Xevious plus arrange modes for each. you can find them on ebay for around $150-180.

namco collection #2 has rally x, pacman and dig dug + arrange. goes for around the same.

namco reunion board has ms pacman and galaga. Goes for around $350-$400.

I have all 3. I Like them because they are newer boards and don't require a jamma adapter like the originals would. Plus they are single stand alone boards and are small. Namco reunion is extremely small. Even smaller than the newer cave pcbs.
Arcade perfect. I'm kind of tempted to try the multi boards like the 39 in 1 but suspect they may not be arcade perfect.

Droid

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ask Any Opp,

Along with Ms. Pacman, Galaga is just about the only game over a year old that can earn it's electricity.

J. Max

judas,
The emulated versions of Ms. Pac Man and Galaga are the only two emulated classic games that I keep with me at all times (on my Pocket PC and my Ngage). I've been playing them for twenty years and they never get old and they never get easier. Very few pre-1985 arcade games can hold my interest anymore:

Ms. Pac Man
Galaga
Gaplus
Robotron 2084 (but only in MAME or a real cab!)
Frogger
Stargate/Defender II

Maybe a few others, but that's really about it, and I only like Frogger for nostalgia's sake.

Thiessen

Camel Slug
droid said:
namco collection #1 has Galaga, Mappy and Xevious plus arrange modes for each. you can find them on ebay for around $150-180.

namco collection #2 has rally x, pacman and dig dug + arrange. goes for around the same.

namco reunion board has ms pacman and galaga. Goes for around $350-$400.

I have all 3. I Like them because they are newer boards and don't require a jamma adapter like the originals would. Plus they are single stand alone boards and are small. Namco reunion is extremely small. Even smaller than the newer cave pcbs.
Arcade perfect. I'm kind of tempted to try the multi boards like the 39 in 1 but suspect they may not be arcade perfect.

Droid

Thanks for the info, wow sounds really cool i'll look them up :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I share the love, I have a bootleg gallag in a Taito cocktail with switched roms so it runs as galaga with the fast fire option. that gives the game another dimention.
Would like to get the real deal one day.
http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=HSGALAGA
Certainly a timeless classic. Pic of the cab below, please forgive the mame hack coin slot panel

madlin.jpg

gallagcab.jpg

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Wow cool cocktail cabinet! Need to get me one of those but even a poor quality emptied out generic cocktail is really expensive in the UK nowadays :( I'm not a huge fan of the more common newer down to the ground not on "T" legs models...

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Galaga88 is my favorite galaga. Had the PCB for a while and loved it to bits.

I have a cocktail at my mothers house like the one in the pic above. It has a taito game called vortex in it though. Was thinking of making it jamma but was told raping it wasn't a good idea.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
heheh the faster fire option will have ya thinking your galaga skills are better than they are ;) When i first got my namco galaga/mspacman reunion pcb, I immediately started playing galaga..After a little while, I was thinking to myself "wtf, i don't remember galaga being this easy.."

Found the softdip setting to set it back to normal fire rate and have been getting my ass kicked ever since :buttrock: Once i get to around level 20+ I get worked. Truly a great game, I'm tempted to try gaplus/galaga3. I love the alot of those old shmups like mooncresta or astroblaster....Got phoenix coming in the mail, that game also owned me back in the day :)

@ J.Max, I just picked up a frogger pcb the other day and omg the gameplay is old timey...I'm going to give it another try, but what is it that keeps ya coming back? the difficulty seems to ramp up abit after level 3. Is the game funner on later levels?

Droid