Gaming sound set-ups?

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Just curious...what do people here use for the auditory portion of their gaming experience? I used to just use the speakers in the TV, but I've moved on to a 2.1 set-up comprised of 2 Polk R300's and a Yamaha powered sub.

I will never go back...the experience with more accurate sound reproduction is far greater to me than any graphical upgrade could ever be.

Also, does anyone play mainly with headphones?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I use a Sony Dream Theater. 5.1 audio, good value.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bare bones here. 3.0 analog audio via KLH speakers.

I paid $50 for all three speakers, subwoofer, and receiver. It does the job.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Speakers on my television.

I rock composite video too.

In short, i am pretty amazing.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Really gotta get some sort of dolby digital set up if your taking part in this gen. I use a seperate av amp & surround speakers tho for a bedroom or somesuch there are plenty of all in one packages out there that should suffice, apparently the Logitech set up is reasonable for gaming.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I'm using a relatively low-end Onkyo home theater in a box. It's obviously not the best in the world but for $300, I got a receiver w/ DTS/AC3 decoders, 5 speakers, and a sub. You really can't beat that for the price.

Playing Burnout on that rig is one hell of an experience, IMO.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I have a Technics 5.1 receiver along with some clearance-shelf speakers (the dreaded "B" name brand).

I've seen the $300 all in one packages for surround sound, they look and sound fine by my standards.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I have an old Yamaha 5.1 receiver but saving up to upgrade to an Onkyo 1.3 HDMI receiver. RE4 is fucking awesome in 5.1 surround.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i typically use my tv's speakers.

i do have an old pioneer htib. supports dpl and shit, good old fashioned home theater. but i dont have it hooked up anywhere.

we've also got a newer yamaha 5.1 in the living room but i dont play games in there.

on my pc i have a 5.1 setup from altec lansing. got it a few years ago and it sounds pretty good.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I have a jvc 5.1 receiver, 5 jbl speakers and a sub. I bought the jbl speakers from best buy and they definitely deliver some powerful sounds. I like them. Right now I may be looking for a good center channel to go along with the rest of my speakers. I'm not completely satisfied with the one I've got at the moment.

Go around to some different stores with some of your favorite cd's, dvd's, and games and try them out. Best Buy and most other stores will let you try out their stuff with your cd's and that way you can see what you like, as opposed to what others will say you should like.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
5.0 here (disconnected 2 rear speakers since the 7.0 doesn't seem to matter too much).

Fronts are Quad L22's and center channel. Rear surrounds are a pair of old Boston Acoustics Tower. I need to pony up for a subwoofer but my fronts do a good enough job for my small living room.

Picture is a couple of years old (better component rack on the left) but the speakers are same.

HT3.jpg

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Panasonic SA-AK20 stereo which I've had since high school or maybe even the end of grammar school. So I have one of those speakers on each side of my tv then I have this old ass Sears' Fisher speaker which is around 2 1/4' tall and thats sitting to the left of my couch so it's coming from behind me on the left. Gets the job done for my ps2/two gaming needs. In a couple years I'd like to have something high end once I have a job.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
31G4492862L._SS400_.jpg

Sony HT-DDW700

Sounds great, even with those small speakers. Couldn't ask for much more from a $200 HT system.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Meh…I’ve posted this before but what the hey…

Here’s a new pic of the HT minus the turntable and plus the new HDDVD player. Same speakers in the rear as well as another 12” sub. Sub amp (QSC RMX850) is in another room being fed by XLR (too noisy to be in the HT). Had to move the sub the other day so it's off the stand (stand is directly in front of the center channel).

HT2007.jpg

daybona

Juz,
smokehouse said:
Meh…I’ve posted this before but what the hey…

Here’s a new pic of the HT minus the turntable and plus the new HDDVD player. Same speakers in the rear as well as another 12” sub. Sub amp (QSC RMX850) is in another room being fed by XLR (too noisy to be in the HT). Had to move the sub the other day so it's off the stand (stand is directly in front of the center channel).

HT2007.jpg

Sweet setup, but I think its time for a universal remote.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
daybona said:
Sweet setup, but I think its time for a universal remote.

Nope…I’ve had a few in the past I I just don’t like them. Having to switch from screen to screen is a pain. In the past I’ve had a Phillips Pronto, then a fully hidden AMX setup (in my old house). I just don’t like touch screen remotes and a push button all-in-one is unimpressive. I just pick up the remote for the Sunfire and the other one for the device I want to use. I have my Sunfire remote programmed for my TV…hell, it’s a Home Theater Master MX500

image_MX_500.jpg

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Same setup for the past 8 years and I still have no intention of upgrading:

Technics SA-AX730 Digital Ready receiver
Technics SH-AC500D Digital Decoder
2 x Technics Floor standing speakers
1 x Yamaha Center Channel
2 x KLH Bookshelf surrounds
1 x Yamaha powered sub

Still perfect for gaming, music and movies

And I feel sound is still more important than PQ.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nothing great but liveable.

Bose 5.1 w/Sony receiver and an additional Sony Sub.

It's just right for my small HT.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
smokehouse said:
Nope…I’ve had a few in the past I I just don’t like them.
I know what you mean about touch screen remotes. They just don't feel right. Have you looked at the Logitech Harmony remotes? It actually has a respectable number of dedicated buttons and even the "custom" buttons that go with the screen are hard plastic (not a touch panel). The tactile feedback is great and it's allowed me to do all sorts of convoluted things with my HT setup including all sorts of component switches, audio sources, etc. and still keep controls simple enough for the wife / guests to use it. Rather than controlling specific devices, it works on an "activity" model where you select what you want to do and it turns things on / off as they need to be, sets sources, and sets the buttons on the remote to operate what it would make sense for them to operate.

The only problem I've had with them is their support personnel are pretty useless and the charger base is a little quirky sometimes (sometimes takes a couple of tries to get the remote seated right). My remote is a 1st gen 880, though, and a few years old, so I'd expect they've gotten that charger strangeness worked out.