Godzilla movies

Anyone here a fan of the Toho Godzilla flicks?

I picked up Godzilla 2000 in the $5 bin at Walmart, and I must say...this is a damn good Godzilla movie, much better than the ones I remember like Mothra vs. Godzilla...I'm actually thinking about buying some more of these on Amazon.com....

...which ones are the good ones? I remember King Kong vs. Godzilla was ok, but its been eons since I've seen it. Heh..and I remember some of the monsters names but I don't know what they were...for instance King Ghidorah and Megalon...I have no idea what those were.

One of the ones I want to get is the mechagodzilla ones..I remember that mechagodzilla was built by the UN to defeat godzilla...LOL. Oh man...I've got so many movies its come to this..I have to buy cheesy monster movies to entertain myself.. :oh_no:

slerch666

updyke,
You need to see the semi-recently released Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All Out Attack. Fucking best Godzilla movie, hands down. The scene with the wrestling match like commentary is hilarious to say the least.

I would LOVE to be able to buy this but at ~$850-$950, I'm afraid even I'm not that hard core. Check out the packaging on it. ;)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I got to agree that GMK is by far the best of all three series. Quite a departure from all the others as far as story goes. In the other movies, Godzilla is a force of nature... if you happen to be in his path, too bad for you. But the Godzilla in 'Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidora: Giant Monster All Out Attack' is a force of vengeance. If he happened to see a lone human 10 miles away sitting under a tree, he'd run right over just to stomp that one guy. Mean. I like all the Godzilla movies, but this is the only one (besides the Raymon Burr-less JP version of the original) which I think qualifies as a legitimately good movie in general. I also loved Godzilla 2000.

MarrymeMai

Frenzy Football Player
I'm a HUGE King Ghidorah fan. He's the golden 3-headed dragon-like monster. I would strongly recommend the 1991 masterpiece, Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah. Also, the 2002 Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Fantastic. Actually, I thought GMK was one of the weakest movies. Godzilla 2000 rocks though. You really can't go wrong with any of them: They're either incredible or so bad they're great, with the possible exception of Godzilla 1985, which I really didn't care for that much.

I plan on making a trip tomorrow to pick up Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster (the 2nd Godzilla movie, aka Godzilla Raids Again) for $3.00 at a secondhand store.

Last edited:
OMG that box set is awesome...that price is outrageous though!

I'll have to go hunting for some Godzilla movies...you guys got me intrigued with the GMK one for real.

I always liked Rodan too....hopefully I can find one with him in it ;)

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I've got just about every {JAPAN made} Gojira/Godzilla flick ever made spanning VHS, Laser Discs and DVD formats. This also includes RODAN, ULTRA MAN, GAMERA etc. I have a love for this campy stuff and absolutely hated what Hollywood did with Godzilla. ---Though my taste for Nippon made stuff is still of the overly lurid and downright psycho Yakuza films of the 60s-70s.

MERCENARY X99

mdog

Zero's Secretary
Do any of you guys remember the Spectreman or Spectorman series from the early-mid eighties? He's somewhat a copy of Ultraman but this dude is covered in a goldish brown suit and a blinking light on his forehead with a pointed top if I remember correctly. Anyways, I've been trying to find any type of Spectreman series collections on DVD or VHS format and so far nothing. It was one of my favorite series of all time and I can even still remember the intro theme song "Spectreman... lighting, Fire...Spectreman, etc..."LoL. Or has it ever been released on video before? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

the one with all the monsters was a cool movie they made a video game about it i think it was called destroy all mosnters or somethi ng

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
KmartNippleKing said:
the one with all the monsters was a cool movie they made a video game about it i think it was called destroy all mosnters or somethi ng
Yeah, the movie is called 'Destroy All Monsters' also. Good movie, unfortunately it got a completely crap DVD release in the US. ADV put out a disc not only without a menu, but no chapter stops, either. That means if you just want to watch the kick ass battle royale with all the monsters, you got to watch the whole thing or fast forward to the end of the movie, which of course takes forever.

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
mdog said:
Do any of you guys remember the Spectreman or Spectorman series from the early-mid eighties? He's somewhat a copy of Ultraman but this dude is covered in a goldish brown suit and a blinking light on his forehead with a pointed top if I remember correctly. Anyways, I've been trying to find any type of Spectreman series collections on DVD or VHS format and so far nothing. It was one of my favorite series of all time and I can even still remember the intro theme song "Spectreman... lighting, Fire...Spectreman, etc..."LoL. Or has it ever been released on video before? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

are you sure you must look harder next time

http://search.ebay.com/SPECTREMAN_D...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
You guys forgot about Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla. Best one ever.

Space Godzilla is the coolest one.

Well I bought GMK all out attack, and Godzilla against Mechagodzilla!

Media play also had a couple different 2-packs there that I will pick up later...well not 2 packs, but they are a single DVD with 2 movies...they had the older ones on them, like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra....I did see the Space Godzilla one too, along with Godzilla vs. Destroyah...??? never EVER heard of that one.

There was another one of the 'newer' ones..it was called Godzilla vs. Megaguirus...it looked pretty cool, any comments on this one?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
GunstarHero said:
Well I bought GMK all out attack, and Godzilla against Mechagodzilla!

Media play also had a couple different 2-packs there that I will pick up later...well not 2 packs, but they are a single DVD with 2 movies...they had the older ones on them, like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra....I did see the Space Godzilla one too, along with Godzilla vs. Destroyah...??? never EVER heard of that one.

There was another one of the 'newer' ones..it was called Godzilla vs. Megaguirus...it looked pretty cool, any comments on this one?
Megaguirus is okay...I really like the Godzilla suit in that one and the SFX are pretty good...not quite as good a movie as GMK and 2000 though, IMO.

The 'Destroyah' movie gets sidetracked in the middle into being an Aliens rip off, but it's worth watching because it ends the second series of Godzilla movies as he fights a monster he can't win against. Junior also finally grows up in that one. This was the last movie before they started over with Godzilla 2000.

All the movies from G 2000 on (except vs Mechagodzilla) are supposed to take place in their own universes, where only the original movie (from 1956) has taken place. So Megaguirus doesn't continue from 2000, and GMK is a different Godzilla than in Megeguirus. I'll be curious to hear how you liked GMK.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Mercenary X99 said:
I've got just about every {JAPAN made} Gojira/Godzilla flick ever made spanning VHS, Laser Discs and DVD formats. This also includes RODAN, ULTRA MAN, GAMERA etc. I have a love for this campy stuff and absolutely hated what Hollywood did with Godzilla. ---Though my taste for Nippon made stuff is still of the overly lurid and downright psycho Yakuza films of the 60s-70s.

MERCENARY X99

Wow, Merc, I never knew you were such a diehard fan of this kind of stuff.

I grew up with the Big G and watched and pretty much loved every Godzilla flick, sans a couple I was too young to appreciate (i.e. 1964's Godzilla vs. Mothra AKA The Thing)

To the poster who likes Rodan, be sure to check out the revamped Rodan version in 1993's Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (AKA in the US GvMG II) That was a great G movie and Rodan was even given a fire ray in that one.

Funny. I was just thinking of Godzilla today. I was driving home when I had a sudden fond flashback of my days of youth with the Big Guy. :D

PS- HELL YEAH I REMEMBER SPECTREMAN! I remember back in 1993 or so I made my dad buy Spectreman vs. The Space Monster and Hedgehog from Suncoast Video. It came in this huge box. I loved that Spectreman theme song!

"OUTTA SPACE!
HES GUNNA SAVE... THE HUMAN RACE!
SPECTREMAN!"

It should also be noted that Kaneko's 1990s trilogy of Gamera to be 3 of the finest kaiju cinema ever.

Last edited:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Daigo said:
Godzilla fights Godzilla USA in the new Final Wars movie.

Thank you Captain Obvious, you have saved us all!

I mean release dates, plot info and the monster line-up.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
NeoTheranthrope said:
Thank you Captain Obvious, you have saved us all!

I mean release dates, plot info and the monster line-up.
Geez, go vote yourself an Asshole in the 'What kind of Neo-Geo.commer are you' thread in the warroom.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
SouthtownKid said:
Geez, go vote yourself an Asshole in the 'What kind of Neo-Geo.commer are you' thread in the warroom.

Bah

"Pot to kettle 'you are black' repeat 'you are black' over?"

Alright, I ask an on-topic question with links, someone answers back repeating something mentioned in one of the links I provided, I answer bach with a "Well, duh" and you get all up in mah grill. Good work citizen.

SouthtownKid said:
Megaguirus is okay...I really like the Godzilla suit in that one and the SFX are pretty good...not quite as good a movie as GMK and 2000 though, IMO.

The 'Destroyah' movie gets sidetracked in the middle into being an Aliens rip off, but it's worth watching because it ends the second series of Godzilla movies as he fights a monster he can't win against. Junior also finally grows up in that one. This was the last movie before they started over with Godzilla 2000.

All the movies from G 2000 on (except vs Mechagodzilla) are supposed to take place in their own universes, where only the original movie (from 1956) has taken place. So Megaguirus doesn't continue from 2000, and GMK is a different Godzilla than in Megeguirus. I'll be curious to hear how you liked GMK.

Well, I have bought GMK, Mechagodzilla(2002) and Megaguirus.

I like all of these movies. And its just like you said, they all take place in their own universe, oblivious to any other Godzilla movies made before them, other than the original attack. This lends itself to a great little setup the movies can do, where they have either a) a renactment of the original attack, or b) a reflection of the past using actual footage from old Godzilla movies.

GMK: First, the suit in this one, and the movement of Godzilla is the worst of all the millenium edition films. While he is very mean, the suit doesn't look mean enough, and there are some cutesy moments like when he burps after eating that submarine. Awesome movie though, with plenty of destruction...and the pro-wrestling style commentary during Godzilla vs. Baragon is absolutely hilarious. The fight sequence itself is kinda wrestling like, with Baragon jumping off a cliff, much like someone jumping off the turnbuckle...and Godzilla doing a face smash foot stomp...hilarious! I was also suprised at Godzillas new weapon, his super atomic ray that creates a Nuclear explosion! Wow.

This one didn't try for the drama element, as opposed to what is done with the other 2 movies. While having plenty of destruction, and Godzilla being extra mean, this movie overall is pretty lighthearted IMO. I was laughing and having fun, so this is an excellent movie to own nonetheless.

Godzilla against Mechagodzilla: Now...this one is just a good movie period. Great special effects, a decent Godzilla suit, and most importantly they got the drama right. I especially like the throwback sequences in the beginning, where they use footage from Godzilla 1, and other footage from other monster movies. It has some funny stuff too where they say Godzilla cursed Japan and thats why they keep getting attacked by all these giant monsters. Then they go on to show some of them, they look funny. A good storyline with the girl who feels responsible, and is actually getting blamed for the death of some of her companions during one of Godzilla's attacks. Good dr4ma. She gets to vindicate herself.

Fantastic special effects, and one point that sticks out in my head as a highlight, is when the Mecha goes uncontrollable, and it keeps walking in a straight line demolishing everything in its path, and then it just walks straight thru a huge building...totally awesome however they did that. I like this one better than GMK.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: Awesome soundtrack, even better special fx than the two previous movies, and the best Godzilla suit since G2000. The new ultimate weapon in this one is awesome, and I was sincerely impressed at the quality of the CGI effects used for it. This time you actually think that the humans have a legitimate shot at destroying Godzilla, and with the movie being a 3-way fight between the humans, Godzilla, and Megaguirus and its goons, this film keeps the action level pretty high. The time the movie takes developing the story is great, like they use it to test the Black Hole weapon and show Tokyo flooding.

I'm torn between MechaGodzilla, or Megaguirus as to which is my favorite. I'm leaning Megaguirus because of the great soundtrack and great G-suit. Plus the humans put up a great fight in this one. Good movies all of them, and I would recommend them to anyone with even a hint of liking of Godzilla...these new millenium edition flicks are easily the best out there IMHO.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla was on a a little bit ago on TV.

Best. Movie. Ever.

Nesagwa said:
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla was on a a little bit ago on TV.

Best. Movie. Ever.

LOL...Ok I'll be sure to pick up that one next :) I can get that on a double feature with Godzilla vs. Destroyah.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
GunstarHero said:
LOL...Ok I'll be sure to pick up that one next :) I can get that on a double feature with Godzilla vs. Destroyah.

See hes like Godzilla, but hes from fucking SPACE and has these kick ass crystals on his back and all these spikes all over the place and can pick up shit with his space powers. And the humans had a gay robot with a drill nose. Needless to say they all died.

Nesagwa said:
See hes like Godzilla, but hes from fucking SPACE and has these kick ass crystals on his back and all these spikes all over the place and can pick up shit with his space powers. And the humans had a gay robot with a drill nose. Needless to say they all died.

With the English dubbing, do the humans say 'Godziller'? Cuz thats how they say it in these new milennium flicks. :tickled: