Guild wars

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
Anyone have this or played the beta? I'm getting it friday.....

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'm there now and was for the past two Beta Events.

I'll be playing a Ranger/Necromancer (Offensive Trapper for PvP) until 20 and then some, just to get rid of my n00b legs.

Once I get the hang of things, I'm going to build a Mesmer.

I've been reading that they're actually one of the more difficult classes to play right, but are quite valuable in PvP if you know how to use them, so I want to know what I'm doing before I attempt to use him.

I might make more characters too, depending on how much I like the game, but that's going to be hard to judge because the game really doesn't start until you hit 20 and get used to PvP.

You can get a pre-made level 20 character, but I'd prefer to get there myself, so I haven't made use of that option yet (although, it's nice to have.)

My characters so far:

Daria Argenta - Female - R/N7
Dario Argento - Male - Me1

(Kudos to the person that gets the play-on-names I did with my characters.)

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I did. I finished a couple of games so I felt like taking this one on. Pretty cool so far. Of course, the no monthly fee is enticing, but it's sort of like a PSO that has a specific execution of flow to feel more like a MMORPG. The reason I say that, is that all skills are combat-based, so there's no fishing, crafting, etc. Also, most areas are instanced, so it's only you and any party members you chose to bring along. The idea of going out with 8 skills at a time, from whatever your collection is, definitely harkens to stuff like Phantom Dust. There are quite a few unique things about this setup of game. Best thing is that you can play this casually and get just as much out of it. I can always find time for engaging games that I can get satisfaction of hacking with friends, but without the necessary commital needed from your typical online RPG. It's more brains compared to length of time used, in dealing with foes. Using smart combinations of skills, during a fight, kind of make it feel more like a Phantom Dust altered heavily into a Fantasy environment with lots of world real estate. NPC life is active, though, giving it a MMORPG feel even when travelling in instanced areas. Some may even come up to you and actively talk to you (in bubble text, so not to get in the way of you doing your regular thing). You'll see people running or walking back and forth kind of like players do, sometimes. (Nice environment filler). Also any major events that concern players are reported to you, realtime. Just a nice little touch that keeps you feeling like you are playing concurrently with loads of players, when you aren't in a town.

Travel in and out of towns is done with a short load, and I do mean short. It doesn't keep you waiting long. If the place has been updated with new content since your last visit, there will be a brief download of new information to patch up the new data, before it loads. The download/update process is what would take the most time, but since it's only handling that area, the downloads are generally small in size. Take note, if on 56k, this means you may wait 30 seconds or so before the area loads up, but only if new content is there. When you enter a town locale, you automatically will see other players in there, with you. Town areas that have a load of people automatically place players in other DISTRICTS of a town. When they are are different instances of that town, for which up to a certain amount of players, share the same instance. You can, within reason, select which District you want to be in, from a pulldown menu, in your interface while in towns. That is, if you plan to meet people specifically at some place. There are no separate gameplay servers, to deal with; only Town and district are necessary information to meet any people playing Guild Wars. Districts are akin to selecting Lobbies on a particular PSO server.

Everything else seems to work as advertised. Things are running rather well, and you're given the option to skip to any major map points you've encountered, drastically reducing time needed to travel around. There are other gates and such erected, but I haven't had time to really explore much yet. (Only had about an hour this morning, to try it out).

I'm currently playing an Elementalist/Necro named Minabi. I'm liking the combo, so far. A good mix between attack, drain, and health replenishment for just using magic.

Last edited:

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I played in that open beta around E3 (I think). Honestly, it was a diablo feeling game and I found it boring. I played it for 2 days and just couldn't stand to do it any longer. It got to the point on day 2 that I was playing it in that mind numbing haze MMO's tend to put you in after like 3 hours and I just felt like getting up and going to bed in the middle of the day.

My MMO background is 5 years in EQ and about 6 months of WoW. Made it to the highest level, at the time, in both so it isn't like I didn't know what to expect. On the other hand, my opinion is a tad jaded since EQ kind of ruined my interest in RPG games in general. If you like Diablo 2 and want it expanded to play with hundreds of others with potential raid targets I would assume you would like this game. If you want lots of intense action and fun factor, however, look to something else.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i doubt i'll check it out. just happy that people migrating will help ease the load on warcraft's servers.

got back on a wow kick last week after realizing i'd spent $120 on it (retail + 6month sub) and not done a damn thing in the game.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Fret not, you can easily attain level 60 in 3 weeks in WoW if you know where to go on your particular server as to not be bothered by noobs harassing your spawns. The game is neither slow on the exp bar or challenging for most classes.

pyrokilla

Nice, I canceled my FFonline today.....I love the game , but hate it just as much. And the fact that others have been playing it for like 4 years, and I just started last month bothered me, you know , having thousands of people who mastered the game already ruined it for me...

pyrokilla

I'm in im "Pyro killa"

don't really undertand much to it yet , but is pretty sweet so far!

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
I bought the game on release and loving every minute of it. Currently I have a lv. 9 Ranger/ Necro in the game. I also have my own guild so if you want to join, then just whisper me, Shandris Rudbich, in the game.

Heh, I just find it funny that it costs 2k gold just for the cape, good thing I got it during the early acces period when it only cost 200 gold to make a guild and cape.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I bought the game today; It was only $40 Cad at Future shop.

I haven't installed it yet though;

any unbiased reviews out there yet??

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i dunno

wow > *

i should try out guild wars more, but eh.

pyrokilla

BC_Gambit said:
I bought the game today; It was only $40 Cad at Future shop.

I haven't installed it yet though;

any unbiased reviews out there yet??

Its an awesome game , can't get off it.

Oh I have a new character "Gawain of Wraiths" hope to see you in there guys!

Level 6 W/N

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Keep this bumped. Didn't know members of this community would get into this. Plus it's a game I can finally consistantly play with other members.

Minabi Siba is my current character, online. Elementalist/Necro 7.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
I am Tryptophan Uchiha im a lvl 9 war/nec

I still havent done the searing(i think thats what its called) when you get warped 2 years in the future. Im waiting till lvl 10. I have been lvling beyond the north gate. There are realy great drops for people around lvl 10 and lower. Plus I usually have items that no one has ever seen b4 so its really easy to sell.

I am saveing up 2k for the guild cape for the guild I created. Our name is Gods of Guilds(GoG), if Im on pm me and Ill invite you in. If you could donate some gold for the cape that would rock as 2k is tough to come by in the game.

I kinda relate the game to a fully realised version on Untold Ledgends for PSP. You have 4 party members at most on the battle maps, the action is fast, you dont have to worry about people monster spawn hunting, its just you and your party out there. All the MMORPG elements are in the towns. Its a very layed back different online rpg. I dig it alot. Even if you are playing another mmorpg this ones so different that you could be into both.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I'm "Munska Banakarak" ,the lev 6 warrior/elementalist.

Feel free to add me to any friends list, I've been doing most of my stuff solo so far.

However, the fact you can get NPC help on the quests is a plus, so solo gaming isn't as tough as it could be for the harder missions.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
It just seems too shallow to me, but then, I'm more into MMOs than action-RPGs (I never really enjoyed Diablo).

I wouldn't be able to pull myself away from WoW enough to get much playtime in, anyway. ;)

BC_Gambit

Beni,
"Shallow" is a relative term;

Is there a MMO RPG out there that doesn't involve clicking on stuff and killing it?

At least this game doesn't have you start out killing super sad monsters.... I didn't have to whack bees for 3 hours just to get past level one :).

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Heh. Anybody that talks about whacking bees for hours to get past level one definitely had their fill of Everquest. You wouldn't relate to that, otherwise. Those were the memories. :) :) :)

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
I already met Foiden in game and he's one cool kat. Plays a paranoid necro pretty well if I do say so myself.

And if any of you guys aren't in any guild, then you can join my guild, the Red Fang. It can be sort of a Neo Geo type guild with all the members who play the game on it. PM me if you want to join. The only thing left for my guild to buy is a guild hall, not the easist thing to get though.

Last edited:

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I think Guild Wars is the first MMO RPG i've tried mainly because of the no monthly fee.

If I stop playing for 3 months, I can come back and i won't have had to make the decision to pay $45 US+ to keep my character, or start over.

Free play = good times with little stress and no regrets (unless you count waking up as an 80 year old man and saying "Aaaaaaah... I wasted my life on games :) ).

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
BC_Gambit said:
I think Guild Wars is the first MMO RPG i've tried mainly because of the no monthly feel.

Just so some nerdy fellow doesn't snap at you in the future, Guild Wars is not a MMORPG -- it's more of a CORPG (Cooperative Online Role Playing Game.)

It has gameplay elements similiar to a MMORPG, so that's why people get easily misconstrued about its genre definition (as did I for a while.)

Anyway, I'm still playing and probably will be for a while, since... well, it's free and very fun.

I like not having to worry about flushing money down the toilet every month if I don't have the time to play all that much (the exact opposite of FFXI; which I'm still playing as well.)

I did start my main Ranger character over though, so I'm back at level one.

It's not a big deal, the leveling is so easy that I can easily get right back to ten (where I left off with my main) by simply spending one of my days off on it (which I'm hoping will be this Friday.)

Same name with my characters, but I decided not to use a second class for my Ranger, since I found a really nice build that someone made and posted about on a GW message board.

Great game though, just wish I had more time to play it at the moment.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Has anyone done the ashes quest yet?

Its INSANE !!!

(i've failed several times so far)

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
BC_Gambit said:
Has anyone done the ashes quest yet?

Its INSANE !!!

(i've failed several times so far)

One of my guild mates did the quest with a lv. 18 W/Me and they were still getting whipped. They actually finished it by doing suicide attacks on the Charr and just takign them down one at a time. They had 60% DP about a 1/4 to the way there.

I like a challenge and all, but HOLY CRAP is this hard!

pyrokilla

This game is one of the best gaming expirences I've ever had.

:D