Hantarex dim monitor issue

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
To start with I'm not great with techinal stuff really.. yet I hope to improve :D

I have a generic wooden arcade machine with a 21" (or around that I only measured against the glass) Hantarex monitor in it. I turn it on today to be met with a very dark screen, like so dark the grass on Neo Turn Masters was black...
This is my first arcade machine and I have never had to fix a CRT monitor and wouldn't know now, if its possible, etc etc. Looking in the back I cant see any popped capacitors but its a bit dusty :S (aka dust city)
Any Idea where I should start? Replace the monitor? Replace the whole machne? They go cheaper than the monitors on ebay sometimes.

So yea... where should i start looking? Any advice all would be of help!

21(?)" Hantrex monitor
serial no. 1281039
other numbers that may be relevant (I rely don't know where to look)
SG 06 50144841
A41

Thanks for any help :D
Warpedflash

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Take a pic of the monitor chassis (electronics in back). Is the grass still green or blueish? Do you see any green at all?

I don't think its a tube issue because the tube wouldn't be suddenly dark if it was fine yesterday. Cap kit will be the first thing to do and then re-diagnose. Show me a pic so I can tell you what to order.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Also worth noting that fucked capacitors often look perfectly fine, they can develop a high resistance which causes no difference to their appearance.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Take a pic of the monitor chassis (electronics in back). Is the grass still green or blueish? Do you see any green at all?

I don't think its a tube issue because the tube wouldn't be suddenly dark if it was fine yesterday. Cap kit will be the first thing to do and then re-diagnose. Show me a pic so I can tell you what to order.

Im at work right now but I will get you a Pic when I get home this evening.
Thanks for the help! :buttrock:

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Its a Hantarex MTC9000. You can get the cap kit from bob roberts as well as other part suppliers.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Pulling this thread back from the grave.

I have finaly gtten round to fiting a new cap kit. It looks great! for about 3 minutes and then it did the same thing :( Back to a really dim screen.

What else could cause this? I dont really want to relace teh monitor as its not really worth it on tis cab as its a generic cab that is not in great condition and cost me about £100 after shipping it...