Happ Controls - which joystick and buttons to get?

jLew

n00b
The joysticks and buttons that came with my MVS cab are pretty much shit. I was about to make an order at happ controls, and I was wondering which joystick / buttons are closest to the original MVS ones? I assume that the competition joystick and the plain horizontal switch pushbuttons are the ones to go for. any advice?

word

Rang_86

New Challenger
Don't worry so much as to what's closest...if you wanted to be realy official you could order the japanese style metal joysticks, but unless you're a miniature Japanese person it's too short to get good grip, and too wobbly for big hands (no pun intended). i reccomend Super Joyusticks most people will tell you to get Competition, it's alright but I was never fond of its rigid square actuator. Whatever you do don't get Ultimate joystick. As for buttons just make sure they'll fit in a the control panel thickness of wood/metal.

Good luck

Last edited:

firebomber

Astra Superstar
I would reccomend either a Competition or Super stick. Comps have a square actuator so you can feel the diagonals, Supers have a round one so that the corners are perfectly smooth. It's a matter of personal preference really.

For buttons you'll probably want the Ultimate pushbuttons (concave) style. They are the same as the ones in a dedicated US cab.

Also, I would reccomend ordering the parts from Bob Roberts
www.therealbobroberts.com
Prices for the parts and shipping will be cheaper than ordering from happs. The guy is an excellent person to do business with.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
never ever ever ever ever buy ultimate buttons.

they SUCK

vertical push buttons are the STUPIDEST invention ever.

please buy the pushbutton with horizontal microswitch.

and as far as the sticks go, if you can, get one of each (super and competition) and see which you prefer. i personally love the supers.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
There are two versions of the Ultimate pushbuttons. One with a horizontal micro and one with vertical. Yes the horizontal are better but the verticle aren't that bad. I played with them for years with no problems.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Rang_86 said:
what makes verticals so bad? is it that they take up too much room?

They over complicate something that is very simple, so there is more that can go wrong with them. Horizontal switches are very basic, and very direct.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
They do take up more room, but in a cab it's not really a problem.
The microswitch is pushed by a different part of the button on a vertical. On a hori switch the button comes down directly on top of the switch. On a vert button there is an extended piece of plastic that slides down the side of the micro to push the switch in. Halox is right that this makes no sense really.

The only advantage to vert buttons is that the connects on the micros are easier to access and swap wires onto since they stick straight up at you and not sideways like on a hori button.

Also vert buttons require you to screw the micro into place which is a pain in the ass. Half the time you have to pull the whole button out if you need to switch out a micro. Switches on hori buttons simply pop into place on pegs.