Happy 10th B-day....PlayStation!

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Remember when it launched at upwards of $300? Remember when Battle Arena Toshinden was OMGTEHKEWL!!!11 ??

Welcome (back) to 10 years ago.

(OK, so the US Dreamcast hit the streets as well, in '99)

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
The first tech demos showing off that 3D T-Rex... really stunning

I recall buying it on launch... Toshinden was amazing!!!!

I even bought Toshinden 2, Toshinden 3 and Toshinden Subaru...

Jumping Flash was also OMGTEHKEWL

So many games, so many good games...

The whole PlayStation vs Saturn thing was pretty heated as well,
competition is always great ;)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I actually don't. When PSX hit I wasnt a fan of it, the graphical style was sort of head ache to me.

When FFVII hit, that all changed and I became a permanent supporter. I was one of the people pissed that square did a 180 with the N64. Lets be honest here.. at this time we all saw those gamefan screens of what looked to be Locke in 3d.

psx to me is

FFVII
Suikoden Suikoden II
Breath of fire III and IV *IV has the coolest ambience and music I've seen in any game, ff tactics comparable*
FF tactics
Tenchu Tenchu 2
Bushido Blade Bushido blade 2. BB is one of the most bad ass awkward series ever. I've wanted a sequal for some time now..

One of the greatest library's ever. Its the only system that can challenge Super Fami. Conveinant it happens to be the psx, which was intended as a Nintendo hardware at one point.

Last edited:

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Happy Birthday Playstation!!!

I remember playing Resident Evil One for the first time. That game fucking rules and still does now. :D

I always wanted a game like that...and my dreams came true. :drool:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
I was a piece of shit with my playstation. Every game was keep stacked on top of each other out without their cases. As you can imagine this screwed the disks up really nice with huge scratches and gouges across them, so I eventually just threw every single ps1 game disc in the trash. :kekeke:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
buttasuperb said:
Twisted Metal 2 is the only PSX game I still own.

\\o

Fatal Fury Wild Ambition and Dragon Ball Final Bout(JPN) for me.

I remember it so well. I've owned 5 PSX's too and still have the 5th one. I kept blowing out fuses and killing some.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
buttasuperb said:

\\o

I just own a bunch of RPGs that I am hoping become uber-rare someday and then I can tell the next generation of fucktards on GameFAQs that I have minty copies of those games. That will cause some serious fappage action over there.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I still have my original PSX and one of the first games that was out for it...The Raiden Project...still a great game after all these years :buttrock:

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
dreamcast-logo.jpg

9/9/99.

NEVAR FORGET!

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Dallas_Five said:
dreamcast-logo.jpg

9/9/99.

NEVAR FORGET!
I was in line at 6am on a school day at my local mall for that :( There were a ton of people there too. It was beautiful. I was an hour late to school thanks to Soul Calibur.

I think I'm picking up Koudelka for my PS soon. My Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant ought to have arrived by now. Was getting through Parasite Eve 1, but I got too frustrated with the slow movement rate in that game.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I have a confession to make: IT'S MY FAULT THE DREAMCAST DIED! I actually didn't get a DC until a couple of years ago when they were like $20.

I do have great memories of its launch though, because my friend's little brother (the type of kid who would always get the newest shit right away) got one right after it came out and we would always kick him and his friends off the couch to play it ourselves. We had many awesome nights of Soul Caliber and NFL Blitz, and later Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis. The DC had some excellent multiplayer fun.

As for PSX, i didn't get one until fall of '99. It was a birthday gift from my girlfriend, the first thing i ever bought from ebay (she paid for it though, $70 i think). I basically got it to play FFVII, and spent about a week straight holed up in my dorm room beating the game once i got it - one of the factors that contributed to me failing out my first semester in college. Thanks alot Square and Sony!

Come to think of it, i've never gotten a console at launch. THe closest i've came was probably my NES or TG16.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
You gotta admit, Sega did put up some good fights during the '90s: Genesis vs SNES, SS vs PSX, and DC vs PS2. Eh, I guess a happy birthday to PSX, even though I wasn't a fan at all.

URNOT(red)E

barf

Maxima's Barber
Ridge Racer 4, Gran Tourismo 2, Rival School, Soul Blade, Tekken 3, Darius Gaiden, GDarius, RayStorm, Einhander, Omega Boost, RType Delta, 1945 III, Sexy Parodius, Pandemonium, Klonoa,Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil 1 2&3, Time Crisis, Metal Gear solid, Devil Dice, Tetris Plus just to name few... great stuff

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I saw FF7 and puked. What a shit game I thought.

Never was a PSX fan to be honest.

MGS/SOTN were both class acts. There were some top games on PSX, I was late to the party.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
DangerousK said:
I just own a bunch of RPGs that I am hoping become uber-rare someday and then I can tell the next generation of fucktards on GameFAQs that I have minty copies of those games. That will cause some serious fappage action over there.

Keeping my good ones too. Except I just sold Suikoden II for only $96 :kekeke:

I still have SotN, Raiden Project, Arc the Lad Collection, and some others that I'll never sell.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
God I remember selling all my PSX RPGs for a shitload of cash. I remember dumping said money into neo geo titles and beer.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
buttasuperb said:

\\o

Yar. Twisted Metal 2 is a classic.

~lol blowing up the Eifel Tower :kekeke:

Great 2-player co-op, and great 2-player versus mode. Tons of fun. I loved using the bulldozer ... freeze their ass once and it's all over. :buttrock:

Strangely enough, one of my favorite games on the PSX was Vandal Hearts, and I almost always hate RPG's.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee was a great game, I still enjoy this one from time to time.

And then .... there's Mortal Kombat III. This was the main reason I bought a PSX - I just couldn't resist the possibility of having an arcade perfect version of this game. MK III was really hot at the arcades back then - had some great battles in the arcades.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
Yar. Twisted Metal 2 is a classic.

~lol blowing up the Eifel Tower :kekeke:

Great 2-player co-op, and great 2-player versus mode. Tons of fun. I loved using the bulldozer ... freeze their ass once and it's all over. :buttrock:

Strangely enough, one of my favorite games on the PSX was Vandal Hearts, and I almost always hate RPG's.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee was a great game, I still enjoy this one from time to time.

And then .... there's Mortal Kombat III. This was the main reason I bought a PSX - I just couldn't resist the possibility of having an arcade perfect version of this game. MK III was really hot at the arcades back then - had some great battles in the arcades.

Yeah, 2 was the best one IMO.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Happy birthday, PSX!
How you superpwns your younger brother ;)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
Keeping my good ones too. Except I just sold Suikoden II for only $96 :kekeke:

I still have SotN, Raiden Project, Arc the Lad Collection, and some others that I'll never sell.

I sold my Suikoden II for $85, but guess what I paid for it? Only 15 bucks!

One day I was in this small, local videogame joint called "GamePro", just browsing around. A customer went up to the register with a return. that retrurn was Suikoden II, complete! My eyes seriously did this: :eek:, because I knew it was supremely rare! As soon as the guy returned it, I asked the clerk how much it cost. He said $15, and I whipped out my cash and snatched it up and left! I was on a high all day from that! I played probably a quarter of the way through the game, and I got tired of it and sold it on eBay for a whopping $70 profit!

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
ki_atsushi said:
I sold my Suikoden II for $85, but guess what I paid for it? Only 15 bucks!
I found my near-mint copy of S2 for about $15-20 at EB. Only reason I bought it was because my friend was bugging me to pick up the Suikoden games. I still think Suikoden is stupid. It's kind of sad. All the 'collector' games I have, from my Panzer Dragoon Saga to my unopened Shining Force III Premium Disc probably barely add up to the cost of a Garou AES.

FFVII was entertaining but overrated. It began to really drag on after awhile. Chrono Cross didn't live up to Chrono Trigger, not by a longshot. Xenogears was awesome.

CharlotteBMM

Crazed MVS Addict
I bought my PS a few days after it was released and I picked up "Battle Arena Toshinden," but little did I know that my friends and I would be playing the demo disks a hell of a lot more.

I think the second game I bought was "Ridge Racer" and I thought it was great because of how you could pop in music CDs and listen to them while you play.

Then some time after that, along came "Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game: The Absolute Pile of Sh!t." :oh_no:

"Oh no" is correct.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Ely13 said:
I found my near-mint copy of S2 for about $15-20 at EB. Only reason I bought it was because my friend was bugging me to pick up the Suikoden games. I still think Suikoden is stupid. It's kind of sad. All the 'collector' games I have, from my Panzer Dragoon Saga to my unopened Shining Force III Premium Disc probably barely add up to the cost of a Garou AES.

FFVII was entertaining but overrated. It began to really drag on after awhile. Chrono Cross didn't live up to Chrono Trigger, not by a longshot. Xenogears was awesome.

I got my minty S2 for $25. Game-x-change is awesome! :buttrock: I'm glad there aren't a bunch of bitches that work there and get all the good stuff that comes in like some places I know. i"d probably be a total hypocrite if I worked there. :mr_t: