Have You Ever Thought Of...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've held on to the hardware for the most part and sold off all my physical games.
So yeah, flash carts and ODEs all the way down to avoid needless clutter but I intend to hold on the machines for the foreseeable future... especially now that they can all be reliably played on 4k TVs without significant syncing or input lag issues.
This. The only games I own are for the PS4 and I only buy games I know I'm going to actually play. Long gone are the days of randomly buying things because I "need" it for my collection, it looks cool, is cheap or whatever other reason people usually come up with to justify collecting shit they never use.

The sentimentality that a lot of people have for their stuff can be a huge hinderance in letting go of anything. I get it, you mowed 50 lawns to buy that console when you were 10, that was a gift from your grandma etc. plus all the memories associated with it. Here's how I look at that; you've had the game or console for years or oftentimes decades, isn't that enough? Plus if you sell it off there is a chance it will end up with someone who does actually appreciate it or is getting to appreciate it for the first time. Maybe they have a kid and that kid will enjoy it as much as you did. Who knows.

Sometimes I kind of feel bad about getting rid of my home carts but I had a lot of them for around a decade, that's enough.

Think less about the stuff you don't have or got rid of and more time actually enjoying what you do and the options available to you. It's way more fun than obsessing over trivial bullshit.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The only physical stuff I own is 45 neo games, but I've never had more than 60 odd games total in all my gaming life I don't think

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I only have a PS5 and a neo, best of the old and new. Got a mister for everything else, oh and an analogue pocket I never use.

Pretty much covered and there's no reams of crusty old hardware everywhere.

Pretty much this. I dont have an Analogue pocket tho. I have an Xbox that hasn't been booted in at least 6 months if not longer. My hacked switch I havent booted in probably 3 months? I do have a PS4 but its jailbroken, thats the main reason Ive kept it.

Still have a Dreamcast, but its tricked the hell out with DCDigital, MODE, noctua fan, DreamPSU, black case, and BlueRetro so I'll hang on to that. Other than that, Ive only got my Neo cab, my Primal Rage Arcade1Modup I built and my Chewlix. MiSTer for everything up to Playstation/Saturn. Couldn't give half a shit about the N64 core that came out recently.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
PS4's about to get a major kernel-level jailbreak (guy is presenting it at a hacker conference next month) so you won't need any of that shit shortly either.

Im wondering if it will be more permanent than the 9.0 JB that's out. It works just fine, but powerdown/up kills it and it has to be redone.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Im wondering if it will be more permanent than the 9.0 JB that's out. It works just fine, but powerdown/up kills it and it has to be redone.

Kernel level means permanent. Won't know all of the details until this guy's presentation but Sony paid him a lot of money for finding this exploit (they have a bounty program for hackers).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Basically if I would keep my chipped PS2 and hacked og Xbox and sell the rest, I would have access to loads and loads of games from the early years to what was current when these consoles were new, or I could get me a Mister, emu box, etc.

All very good options but that's not really what I'm up to here, I'm thinking of consciously, carefully and methodically reducing my vg library until I'm down to the very core of my gaming preferences, which ideally should be only one system and its games.

There's also a exploration aspect to it. Take the Genny for example, I've been a day-one fan but still discover games I've never heard before, and sometimes there are real gems among them. Then there are loads of homebrew games, some of which have made it into my top-20 Genny games list (Metal Dragon comes to mind), hacks, tons of proto ROMs, reissues, etc. It would take decades, maybe even a lifetime to explore all that wonderful stuff in-depth, but if you spread your attention over five, ten, 20 systems, you will forever keep scratching the surface, thus wasting a huge amount of potential.

Lastly, there are practical considerations as well, having only one system would save you money, space and lifetime while you still could have fun with gaming, just with less clutter and urges to get this and that for this or that system, you know the score.

Workin' on it...

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The closure of the Wii and Wii U shop was a blow to digital preservation of gems such as these