Help! PSX --> XBox/GC/DC controller adaptors!

Martinov

Geese's Thug
I'm looking to use my soon to be modded Agetec stick (using an PS1 A-series dualshock) as a universal stick, and I was looking to have the 6 main buttons laid out like a HRAP:

[] /\ R1

X () R2

(I'm going to drill in extra holes down the right side so I can fit buttons for L1/L2/select)

Problem is, I realised the controller adaptors I want to use to get this stick working on other consoles might not assign buttons exactly to my preferred layout (for example, one adaptor might assign the XBox's L and R buttons to L1 and R1 on a PSX controller. On the other hand, the L and R buttons on the GC might be assigned to L1 and L2 when using a PSX controller). So basically, I was wondering if you could tell me what button corresponds to which PSX button with the following adaptors:

* Dreambox (PSX-->XBox)
* Cube Joybox (PSX-->GC)
* Total Control Plus (PSX-->DC)

Also, can anyone confirm that there's a switch on the side of the Total Control Plus that switches the DC's L and R buttons between either L2 and R2 or R1 and R2 when using a PSX controller? I can only find a passing remark about it at http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-h5-49-en-15-total+control+plus-70-en.html. What are L and R assigned to by default?

Thanks in advance for any responses, they'll help me figure out a button layout that'll be suitable for all consoles!

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
My DC adapter is not a Total Control Plus, it's a DC 3-in-1 Connector (or some other such nonsense) and it does properly map the buttons like you were wanting. I'm pretty sure that adapter is the same as the Total Control Plus.

If noone has answered it by tomorrow, I will pull my Xbox adapter out and try it.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
X Joybox adapter maps to the following:

Face buttons = same
R1 = Black
R2 = R trigger
L1 = White
L2 = L trigger

Not as nice as the DC converters, but I've yet to see an Xbox fighter (or emulator) that won't let you remap the buttons.

Martinov

Geese's Thug
Thanks! By the looks of things I'll stick to my orriginal layout, judging by the info you've given me. Might pick up quick disconnects to make it easier to swap the layout around if ingame button remapping isn't available (unlikely).

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Martinov said:
Might pick up quick disconnects to make it easier to swap the layout around if ingame button remapping isn't available (unlikely).

I have both my sticks with the layout like you mentioned and I've never ran into problems trying to customise the layout.

The only games I've ran into that do not allow full button customisation are older PS1 games that allow only face button changes.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Azathoth said:
I have both my sticks with the layout like you mentioned and I've never ran into problems trying to customise the layout.

The only games I've ran into that do not allow full button customisation are older PS1 games that allow only face button changes.
KOF '95 is a prime offender. :mad:
But alas...ports are moving to my past....