Help repair AES game...

Benharper

n00b
Hi,

A small problem you submit.
I actually get a game original AES (robo army) on which small glitches appear on the background. It is not at all the place and it's really tiny.
Gender few pixels and at a vertical line of pixels, which flashes when the characters move.

here's a video of the bug, it's on the left : http://youtu.be/X_pOYkyPMHg

I have already been determined by crossing the PCB with one other game, the problem was the PCB is CHA42G or Roma C, M and S.
I'm looking around I see no problem switching of tracks. I redid the welds and well cleaned the contacts, always the same ....
So it would be one or more of the Roma would be at stake. So the M1 we forget that this view is sound. Maybe the C or S1. But how do you know how or what rom is guilty?

So I need your support guys.
Thank you all

And sorry if my English are little bad...;)

Last edited:

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I have never seen a problem like that before. Do you know someone else with a Neo Geo AES? It would be good to try the game on another AES to make sure it is not a problem with your AES. The S ROMs are used for fixed graphics - like score, life bar, and titles. The C ROMs are for things that move on the screen like the enemies and backgrounds. The video shows the problem when the background is not moving so it is difficult to tell. Does the problem ever move with the background? Regardless, I would guess that the problem is not with any of the ROMs but with one of the other chips. I believe the NEO-ZMC only affects the sound, so I would recommend replacing the NEO-273 and see if that fixes it. Si vous voulez, je peux essayer d'ecrit en francais mais je pense que votre anglais est mieux que ma francais.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Normally, since robo army is one of the earlier releases I would think it's an IC that is going bad but I think RA is one of the newer old titles that already had the ZMC and Neo-273s. Need more info like mentioned above.

And this is the only game that acts like this?

Benharper

n00b
Thank you guys, I understand in English .
So the problem will come from the neo chips 273...
I have two robo army, one is working properly, therefore ca not come from the neo geo console.

Xian-XI: what IC and RA ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
RA is Robo Army. The IC I was talking about was the Neo-273, but you need to verify the S1 rom first.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Do you have a logic probe or eprom reader/programmer?

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
You will need a reader/programmer if you want to check the data stored in the ROM chips and see if it is correct, and you will need a programmer if you want to create an EPROM to replace a faulty mask ROM. A logic probe is not the same thing as a multimeter. A logic probe will detect the logic state and any changes in the logic state of a point on a circuit. You can try using a (DIGITAL ONLY) multimeter to look at the voltage but it is not very conclusive. Magnetic kickback from an analog voltmeter coil will mess everything up and possibly damage the circuit. The reason why the digital voltmeter is not very useful is because it is too slow to keep up with the logic state and you can't see the difference between things like a continuous low signal and a mostly low but occasionally high signal. The multimeter is still something you should have because it is great for checking resistance, continuity, voltage levels, current flow, etc... but it is not good for detecting logic states. For that you need a logic probe. Here is an example:

http://www.bkprecision.com/products...c-probes/DP 21-dp-21-digital-logic-probe.html

You can also use an oscilloscope (if you happen to have one) to do the same thing as a logic probe.

Benharper

n00b
yeeeessss... my father had logic probe...
But I think I will ever regain this probe :scratch::(. I'm stuck as a result, I will not buy one just for that.

Last edited:

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi Ben harper(great music)

I looked at my Robo Army (EURO AES) and i have exactly the same glitches.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I looked at my Robo Army (EURO AES) and i have exactly the same glitches.
I don't think that this glitch is supposed to be there, if you know what i mean. I own 3 copies of robo army but never noticed a glitch like the one in the video.

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
Probably not,but it's strange that i have the same glitches as Ben Harper. My mvs version does not have the glitches.
Some megadrive/genesis also have glitches like SS 1 on the megadrive/genesis.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Last edited:

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm not kidding you... My Sengoku has the same problems. Do you have Robo Army and Sengoku in EURO version?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Do you have Robo Army and Sengoku in EURO version?

the region of the game is totally irrelevent. The console decides the region, the cart is electrically the same for all regions, only the sticker is different.

Benharper

n00b
I'm not kidding you... My Sengoku has the same problems. Do you have Robo Army and Sengoku in EURO version?

Yes it's Euro version...

I have several robo army in my hands and there are different version of printed circuit ... I know they are more sensitive sure???
And my Robo army and sengoku are the same version of printed circuit.

And not the problem come not the console. As I already said it is the same on two other neo geo ...

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

The difference in boards is nothing to do with regions. Its different revisions of the game. What version of the board is it that is faulty?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member

You didn't understand me, i believe you have 2 faulty games, i was just saying IF you have the same problem on 2 different games, is probably an hardware AES error, and not faulty carts ...

Benharper

n00b
The difference in boards is nothing to do with regions. Its different revisions of the game. What version of the board is it that is faulty?

Yes of course.
it is this version that is at faulty and board CHA42G, I have already been determined by crossing the board with one other game robo army.

20120726-edqpkqiqgqke938kh82g5udj37.jpg

NEO-GEO man

Flip it over, and have a close look at the solder joints on the chips. Consider re doing them all and see how it goes.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you make another video of Robo Army but this time when the glitch is on the screen walk over the glitch so we can see if it's back ground or forground clearer.

Benharper

n00b
Flip it over, and have a close look at the solder joints on the chips. Consider re doing them all and see how it goes.

I already ... unfortunately this is not it.

Can you make another video of Robo Army but this time when the glitch is on the screen walk over the glitch so we can see if it's back ground or forground clearer.

I'm not completly enderstand...
bugs do not move relative to the decor, it's fixed. Some place where there are no bugs in and place where there at. And always a line

Last edited: