HELP WANTED: AES cart restoration and clean up. Any ideas or tips?

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
So I have some carts that need a little TLC and restoring so I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to clean up and remove scratches and or insertion marks from AES carts.
I understand it may not be able to remove entirely, but maybe help some to bring back that nice factory shine & look to the AES carts?

I thought maybe an auto plastic headlight cleaner or scratch remover, however I am hesitant because of the possibility these products are to abrasive and could make it worse.

I searched for a thread similar to my question, but could only find info related to cleaning the board.

I know I can't possibly be the only one with this project in mind. So, any ideas?

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm pretty sure there isn't much you can do. The plastic used for aes carts aren't known for durability. Alot of other plastics in the early 90's were boffo, like early SNES cases being hyper prone to yellowing. As side from a damp cloth/paper towel, I wouldn't do much experimenting.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
If hit mine with Brasso and never had an issue. I wont assume responsibility if you have issues, but i never did.

Some of the marks on the carts are from the manual rubbing on them in the box.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Best just to leave them on the shelf, talk about them, point at them, and never open or play them.... EVER.

Capt. Lurker

If hit mine with Brasso and never had an issue. I wont assume responsibility if you have issues, but i never did.

Some of the marks on the carts are from the manual rubbing on them in the box.

LMAO! You know at first, I thought you were referring to the Brasso metal polish. And Then I was like, what? This guy is crazy! So then I did an internet search and now I know what you're talking about. Brasso Gadget care. http://www.brasso.co.uk/

Looks good. I may give this a try. Does it remove scratches by chance?

Capt. Lurker

Best just to leave them on the shelf, talk about them, point at them, and never open or play them.... EVER.

LOL!
Unlike some Neo folks, I actually play my AES games regardless of their value.

If I wanted of bunch of shelf candy, I'd create cardboard cut-outs and put them on the shelf instead.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
LMAO! You know at first, I thought you were referring to the Brasso metal polish. And Then I was like, what? This guy is crazy! So then I did an internet search and now I know what you're talking about. Brasso Gadget care. http://www.brasso.co.uk/

Looks good. I may give this a try. Does it remove scratches by chance?

There are a couple different Brasso products yes. It can remove scratches yes, but not all of them, only sometimes.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can use some rubbing compound but it might make the plastic shiny to the point you might have to do the whole cart.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
i agree, best just leave it alone :shame:

Xian Xi said:
You can use some rubbing compound but it might make the plastic shiny to the point you might have to do the whole cart.

Yeah I wouldn't chance changing the overall look of the cart. Even if you got rid of the insertion marks/scratches if the plastic looks different afterward what's the point. It still won't look like the original cart and would probably be worth less and a scratched up one.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I think your best bet for the real shine is a few layers of thin hockey tape, then it'll be safe for future insertions.