Help with som Japanese text

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Hello

One for the Japanese experts here, what does the text on this WW2 ordinance translate to. It was found in East New Britain in PNG.

Japanesetext.jpg

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I used to collect WW2 swords and bayonets, I might be able to help.

In the top picture, the first line is a serial number I think. The symbol in the center is the mark of the Tokyo Armory, it's supposed to be a pile of 4 cannonballs viewed from above.

Below that might be an inspectors mark. Same with the bottom picture...?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Thanks guys
One other question, this looks like the detonator/ timer of a bomb or maybe anti-aircraft ordinance ?. It has graduations from 0-22. Could that be altitude or time. Not quite swords and bayonets but someone interested in South Pacific Region WW2 history may know.

Japanesemarkings.jpg

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
The bottom of this page has a little bit of helpful info.

In the very top picture, the number seems to be the date of manufacture.

4 二十 大
4 20 dai (big? I'm not sure about meaning of this)

It's definitely some kind of bomb fuse.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's either a timeable bomb or artillery shell fuse. Fuses like that can be set to detonate after a given time (useful for time bombs) or acceleration force when fired. This is done for security reasons since shells with these detonators can be handled more safely.

Oh, and are you sure this detonator has been properly defused? Just curious... :)

EDIT:

Here's a little more info on these types of fuses:

"Pretty much all time fuzes (which is what this is, based on the vernier scale) are designed to ignite the payload of the shell either after so many rotations - meaning it would have had to be attached to the shell and propelled from the tube, or have a minimum arming time, somehwere between 2.0 and 4.0 seconds."

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Wow, the numbers remind me of the M904 & M905 fuzes used in General Purpose bombs.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Oh, and are you sure this detonator has been properly defused? Just curious...

I doubt that it has, I would not know how to do it. It does not look like it has been opened up.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
It's hard to tell, but the bottom character "田" is read as den, ta, or da. It typically mean field. It's often used in names as well, such as Tanaka ,"田中."

Edit: As far as the top picture, I find it strange that there are both chinese style numbers and "American" numbers. The last kanji could make it mean two different things. 大 typically means big and 六 typically means 6.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Don't drop the ball, or YOU might be the next entry on the Darwin Awards. XD

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
The bottom of this page has a little bit of helpful info.

In the very top picture, the number seems to be the date of manufacture.

4 二十 大
4 20 dai (big? I'm not sure about meaning of this)

It's definitely some kind of bomb fuse.

4 二十 六
...........^Its not Dai its Roku (6)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I doubt that it has, I would not know how to do it. It does not look like it has been opened up.

Well... using an armed WWII detonator as a paperweight is not a good idea.

Rotation/time fuses like that normally can't be activated by throwing them around/on the floor or similar impacts but its contents can deteoriate over time which makes them more dangerous the older they get. They contain enough primary explosive to rip off a hand or cause serious damage to your home so it would be a good idea to let an expert take a look at it (NEVER try to open it yourself!!) or at least keep it in a suitable (dry, dark, vibration-free) place, preferrably locked in an ammunition box.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh, and are you sure this detonator has been properly defused? Just curious... :)
At least he hasn't been using it to crack open nuts or something. But yeah. Not my first choice of a paperweight. If he suddenly stops posting...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Heh.

I would never keep old weapons of war (which this detonator doubtlessly is) in my house if I wouldn't be 101% sure that they have been defused. It's also illegal to own stuff like that in most countries, btw.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Thanks for the advice guys. I should probably take it around to the PNG Defence Force bomb disposal to check out, there are a lot of unexploded WW2 bombs around here, often serious casualties when villagers saw them open to use the powder to blast fish on the reefs.. I had thought of carefully opening it up, but there again do not want to be mentioned in the Darwin Awards as said earlier..

Here is something from the Australian Newspaper recenty
BRENDAN NICHOLSON, DEFENCE EDITOR From: The Australian November 04, 2011 12:00AM

AUSTRALIAN and New Zealand bomb disposal experts have collected and destroyed tonnes of World War II bombs, torpedoes, shells and hand grenades left scattered across Papua New Guinea, in 60-year-old bunkers and along the Kokoda Track.

Over the past fortnight, bombs were found lying near where aircraft crashed, along with rusty hand grenades and torpedoes found in storage depot bunkers after being buried by Japanese soldiers and sailors preparing to load them aboard warships and submarines.

Last edited: