hi rez games??

iamrandyray

Armored Scrum Object
games like guilty gear run in hi rez
does this mean it will look bad running on a 15 khz arcade monitor?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
What does this have to do with the Neo•Geo General Discussion?

Cynn

Edo Express Delivery Guy
It has a lot to do with Neo if you want to get an Atomis or Naomi kit and all you have is a neo cab. I'm curious myself actually. I'm getting a cab soon (if all goes well) and I'm thinking about getting a Naomi kit as well. I was under the impression that Naomi and Atomis needs VGA monitors.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Your naomi can run on low and med rez with just a flip of a dip switch.:) So, no it won't look "bad".

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
When you say 'res' do you mean 15, 24 or 31KHz horizontal line frequency or the actual pixel resolution. I still to this day have no idea why they refer to the Horiz Line frequency as 'Resolution' as it has little or nothing to do with actual pixel resolution. The Guilty Gear series look freakin awesome as they have like twice the pixel resolution of standard res games. The Neo could look just as nice if it had the potential to run at 640 x 480 or the like! And as Dinodoedoe said, the Naomi harware is able to be switched to run at standard (15KHz), Medium (24KHz) and High (31KHz) Horizontal Line frequency. Not sure about the good ol Atomiswave hardware though! Check this out before you buy as the wrong combination can and will destroy your RGB monitor.

Actually I would love it if someone could let us know the benefit if any of 24KHz or 31KHz over the age old 15KHz as standard res games still look so gorgeous and rock solid on my 29" Nanao 'Multi Res' monitor?

Cheers!:D

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
The games that use higher resolution monitors run at a higher resolution and look sharper.

For example, Gauntlet Dark Legacy runs at 512x200 in standard res, and 512x384 in med res mode.

All of the Model 1, 2, and 3 games by Sega are med res. as the resolutio they use is too much for standard res. You can hook it up to a standard res monitor, but you get a double image :)