How do I Handle Something Like This? (Pet Peeve-Related)

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
This is a relatively minor suck on my part, but it's been seriously getting under my skin recently.

Before I came to Vegas, I had little problem with being called the occasional pet name by customers/co-workers. It was okay and it happened very rarely. Variations included (but not limited to) "baby", "honey", "hun", "sweetheart", "sweetie", and so on. I knew there was some level of fun and a little feeling behind it.

Here, it seems that EVERYONE CALLS ME THESE NAMES. Seriously, I'll be on the phone and it'll end with the customer saying "thank you, baby". It's like they don't even notice saying it. The same thing happened at my previous job. They threw around the names and thought nothing of it. As a result, it irritates the hell out of me. It's like they say it out of habit as opposed to being genuinely nice and personal.

My question is, how do I address the situation? I'm sorely tempted to say "please don't call me that", but I know they'll be all "Call you what?" and not know what I mean.

Also, if I meet any of you guys in the future and you call me that, I have no choice but to punch you. :(

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Murder solves everything.

Don't get bothered by it, because someday, it will switch to ma'am. Then you'll really be bothered.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Variations included (but not limited to) "baby", "honey", "hun", "sweetheart", "sweetie", and so on.

do you know what i would do just for someone to call me one of those, once

the terrible things i would do

the terrible, terrible things i would do

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I don't have an answer for you Domino-Chan.

I think I brought it up once in the War Room when I was the recipient and everyone jumped all over me.

If I were your co-worker in real life though, I'd call you by your name. It's one of the few that seems to be universal in any language.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
maybe it has something to do with where you are in the country? las vegas is known for being kinda risque in nature...maybe people there don't see how this could piss someone off? it's awfully sexist and can make you feel like a commodity almost, like you're there for their entertainment only. Maybe you should say something about it next time it happens?
This is a relatively minor suck on my part, but it's been seriously getting under my skin recently.

Before I came to Vegas, I had little problem with being called the occasional pet name by customers/co-workers. It was okay and it happened very rarely. Variations included (but not limited to) "baby", "honey", "hun", "sweetheart", "sweetie", and so on. I knew there was some level of fun and a little feeling behind it.

Here, it seems that EVERYONE CALLS ME THESE NAMES. Seriously, I'll be on the phone and it'll end with the customer saying "thank you, baby". It's like they don't even notice saying it. The same thing happened at my previous job. They threw around the names and thought nothing of it. As a result, it irritates the hell out of me. It's like they say it out of habit as opposed to being genuinely nice and personal.

My question is, how do I address the situation? I'm sorely tempted to say "please don't call me that", but I know they'll be all "Call you what?" and not know what I mean.

Also, if I meet any of you guys in the future and you call me that, I have no choice but to punch you. :(

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't have an answer for you Domino-Chan.

I think I brought it up once in the War Room when I was the recipient and everyone jumped all over me.
No, that was more because you piss sitting down.

fake

15 Year Member
Being called Boss or Chief is worse imo. I guess certain people have a deepseated need to patronize.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Man.
I drop the darling's and hun's all the time.
But it's only to the ladies I feel close to.
Next time it happens just say
"hey, you could just call me whoooa whooa domino."

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Being called Boss or Chief is worse imo. I guess certain people have a deepseated need to patronize.

What's so bad about calling your boss "boss"? WTF. Makes me wonder if my boss dislikes it when I call him "Boss", for whatever weird reason.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
What's so bad about calling your boss "boss"? WTF. Makes me wonder if my boss dislikes it when I call him "Boss", for whatever weird reason.

There's a lot of security guys at work that call me boss and sir.
And they're about twice my age usually.
It's kind of strange,
but I just do it back to them half the time anyways.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Honestly, Darlin' and ma'am don't bother me as much. Ma'am used to leave people wide open since I would go into the Gunny's speech from Full Metal Jacket. But at least it's more polite.

I think the worst of it is that mostly women call me these names. It has to be some sort of generational thing like BryLmoo said. Just call me Anna or Nana. It's not that hard, and I won't take offense.

do you know what i would do just for someone to call me one of those, once

the terrible things i would do

the terrible, terrible things i would do

And when they do, I hope they mean it, 'Stage.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Honestly, I'd handle it like this:

Person: "Thank you, baby"

Me: "Baby?"

And that would be that. I'm sure 9 times out of 10 the other person would be able to put together that you weren't comfortable with that and would cease doing it further. If they tried to play around even more with it just make a face or something, or better yet don't respond at all. Just go about what you were doing.

That's the only tactful way I could think of to handle it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is that a Vegas thing? If 9 out of 10 women the locals talk to are showgirls or card dealers, then it's understandable that it could become habitual for the locals to address all women that way, regardless of gender.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
shit dude do you have any idea how much worse you just made the apology

SHIT

I think thats the point....

I had a black guy calling me boss once...and then even had the nerve to say " you don't mind me calling you boss? Do ya boss? " it was done in a very condescending way and made the conversation uncomfortable. Especially cause he did it like 20 times in like 10 mins.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I had a black guy calling me boss once...and then even had the nerve to say " you don't mind me calling you boss? Do ya boss? " it was done in a very condescending way and made the conversation uncomfortable. Especially cause he did it like 20 times in like 10 mins.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
kazukiyell.gif

fake

15 Year Member

I don't mean calling your boss "boss." I mean calling normal people "boss." Like "Would you like fries with that, boss?" Or "Sorry chief, we're all out of donuts."

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Usually punks making decisions they have no business making get the 'boss' from me. These individuals are usually 5'7" or lower. Taller folk seem to have better sense.

Guillo

n00b
Just start using the same pet names with them. They'll either decide they don't like it and stop, or they'll take it for flirting and try to corner you in the lunch room. Which gives you grounds for a sexual assault law suit which will make you richer.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah, listen to Guillo....call them "baby-doll" or something.

It will either shut them up or it will escalate, going back and forth with pet names until you start pushing and hitting eachother for a few seconds until you both drop to the floor and have sex right there on the spot.

Anyway...I call women "miss", should that piss them off?
I call guys "brutha" as well.

Honestly, I find those two titles calm people down and diffuse a lot of uncomfortable situations when I apply them, instead of making them worse.