How to get the best possible video from a NeoGeo...

Beharius

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
I recently designed this small box for getting the best possible video output from the Neo Geo systems. It basically outputs 15kHz RGBHV video from its VGA port.
It's a must have for my American friends who don't have an RGB Scart input on their TVs...
You don't have to mod your console with encoder boards with component/composite outputs, this is pure RGB, so better than any other solution.
However this is good for only who owns plasma/LCD screens or VGA upscalers (15kHz->31kHz).

Compatible with all NG models (AES or CD), however on some AES systems, RGB output needs to be modified.

x.jpg

Beharius

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
As you all know, Neo Geo outputs R,G,B,Sync and Composite Video signals from its AV jack. This box converts sync signal to Horizontal and Vertical Sync signals to get a valid 15khz output. It can be then plugged to an upscaler to be converted to 31khz.
It's a Sync Separator circuit.
I can sell if I see enough interest.

You still need to fix your RGB circuit... e.q REV 3.6 needs its RGB traces cut, because of an interference caused by the crystal on top...

Last edited:

Fortune

Zero's Secretary
The adapter you made looks nice and clean in the pictures.

Is this an LM1881 circuit?

Neo Yahtzee

Banned , racist pedophile and admitted statutory r
Can you make additional pieces say for a Sega Genesis and master System and so on? And I meant VGA port out, so yes I can read.

Beharius

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
Yeah, I am thinking of building it for MS, MD, SNES, SFC, N64, SS, PS...

It's not LM1881, but EL1883...

Neo Yahtzee

Banned , racist pedophile and admitted statutory r
Wonderful, I could use one for my SNES and N64 but won't the N64 need to be modded?

I use a PS2 Slim for PS2 games and PS1 games Via component so I suppose no added benefit there.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
won't the N64 need to be modded?
If you haven't got one of those french models that are rumored to have RGB out: yes, if you want RGB you'll need to mod it. The N64 only has composite - never got why... but modding it really improves the picture, I'd recommend it any day.

SNKNostalgia

Gal Ageise's Demon
If you haven't got one of those french models that are rumored to have RGB out: yes, if you want RGB you'll need to mod it. The N64 only has composite - never got why... but modding it really improves the picture, I'd recommend it any day.

The N64 also has S-video. Honestly, most 3D games for it don't really benefit with RGB compared to S-video due to the heavy Bi-linear filtering anyways. Some 2D games like Mischief Makers I can see RGB being a bit better.

Anywho, wouldn't it make more sense to just use an RGB scart input so you won't have to make console specific ones? This way, you have the option to use other scart capable devices like scart-to-component due to having the scart cables handy. Still, neat concept.

xsq

The N64 also has S-video. Honestly, most 3D games for it don't really benefit with RGB compared to S-video due to the heavy Bi-linear filtering anyways. Some 2D games like Mischief Makers I can see RGB being a bit better.
Oh, yeah right, thanks for correcting me. However the S-video cable never was released by Nintendo, had that confused.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Oh, yeah right, thanks for correcting me. However the S-video cable never was released by Nintendo, had that confused.

Actually, Nintendo did offer a S-video cable for the SNES and N64. It had the product code SHVC-009 and I bought one a few years ago from NOA's online store where it had the part number 22425.

xsq

Actually, Nintendo did offer a S-video cable for the SNES and N64. It had the product code SHVC-009 and I bought one a few years ago from NOA's online store where it had the part number 22425.
Alright then, I'll just shut up now...