How to Mod a Neo Stick

Ghosthand

n00b
Does anybody out there know exactly how to mod an Aes old-style neo stick with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts? Any advice with the part #s of the joysticks and the buttons, as well as simple instructions with regards to soldering, drilling, cutting, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:p

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
I've never seen one in person but I'm sure the buttons wouldn't fit and you would need some major plastic work to make it all work and fit.

I'd say build one from scratch.

If someone knows of an occasion where it did somehow work, they say so because I'm not the master on this sort of thing.

Ghosthand

n00b
Sorry for the double post...

So far, from Lizardlick i've ordered a Sanwa JLF-TP-8T Ball Handle Joystick and I ordered 4 Sanwa 24mm snap-in buttons.

When they come in I'll update this thread with my progress on modding the neo stick!

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I modded a Pro stick with all Sanwa parts, and it was relatively simple. Threaded Sanwa start buttons will drop right in, there will be a little bit of extra space, but it isn't really noticeable. Just try to center them before they're completely tightened. Then I just put in small push buttons from Radio Shack, and widened the holes just a little bit to make them fit.
Most of the work is tearing out the button guides in the inside with pliers, and sanding down a few spots.
As far as putting in a stick, to get the complete movement out of it, you'd have to widen the top hole, and make one on the bottom. Just make sure to keep the sides of the stick framing to keep the stick in place.
Here is the one I did.

Ghosthand

n00b
FairlanePhantom, that Pro stick looks like it came out real nice! I didn't even think about modding a pro stick.

I'm curious about what kind of stick you went with and how the internal wiring differs from that of the old-style neo stick.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
If you ever come across a Hori Neo Stick...that is a great stick to mod.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Ghosthand said:
FairlanePhantom, that Pro stick looks like it came out real nice! I didn't even think about modding a pro stick.

I'm curious about what kind of stick you went with and how the internal wiring differs from that of the old-style neo stick.

Can't say for sure on the original stick, but I cut out the PCB and just wired it with straight lines from the wires in. So it doesn't use the +5v line anymore. Used the JLW-TM-8 that Lizard Lick carries, and the OBSN-24 threaded buttons. The start buttons were just the these.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
those radio shack ones last longer if you add a drop of acrylic glue to the rwo part switch in its base

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
got a free sample 2 oz recently of liquid fusion off slick deals im loving this shit.

just fyi

Ghosthand

n00b
Okay, so my parts still haven't come in from Lizard Lick yet, but today I went ahead and took out the four stock neo stick buttons anyway.

First I unscrewed the metal plate that holds the Pcb board and the buttons in place. Then, I used the cheapo desolderer/sucker combo (from Radioshack) to heat up then suck out the 8 solder points from the Pcb board connected to the buttons. This is my first time doing any kind of solder work but the solder came off really easily with no mess:buttrock:

So now I have all the buttons out of the metal plate (they just snap out), but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to connect my new sanwa buttons to the pcb. Not sure if a direct connection will fit, or if I'll have to solder wires from the buttons to the pcb:conf: Can't wait for the parts to come in!:)

P.S. I should be posting pictures soon as I have a good amount of work done.

-Ghost

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
If you're going to keep the PCB, you can just solder to both sides of each contact to ground and the line. If not, than you can go through with a multimeter, find what every wire leads to, and make your connections straight from the lines in.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
You won't need the PCB at all. Just run a ground for all the buttons and connect them accordingly. They are labeled on the PCB too (A-D), so just de-solder/solder at the same time.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
bump, no pictures or what? I see you still come online Ghosthand why didn't you keep us posted on your progess?