How to replace a SNES/NES/Gameboy battery?

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
Hi!

I'm wondering how people go about attaching new batteries to cartridges? I have tried soldering (I know it's dangerous) but it seems the solder I'm using simply won't stick. Is there a way you can buy these batteries with the two tabs already on them? Or is there some soldering technique I'm unaware of? thanks.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ha..I have to do this myself to some carts.

Maybe you have to use some flux..

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Hi!

I'm wondering how people go about attaching new batteries to cartridges? I have tried soldering (I know it's dangerous) but it seems the solder I'm using simply won't stick. Is there a way you can buy these batteries with the two tabs already on them? Or is there some soldering technique I'm unaware of? thanks.

Yes you can get them with solder tags on but you'll likely have to buy them online I would think as local shops don't tend to stock that variety.

You can scratch the surface of the battery, rough it up with a file if it is just a regular battery without tags and then solder should stick however you really should get some with tags as its lithium and if heated too much could explode.

Another thing you can do is if the cartridge has enough room inside it, get a coin battery holder, solder that to the points on the cartridge PCB instead, velcro it in place and then just place the battery in the holder.. easy.. and safe..

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hi!

I actually replaced 4 NES cart batteries just last night (I just bought these games and wanted to make sure the battry was fresh before starting a new game).

I bought batteries a few weeks back on eBay with leads on them. Unfortunately they were the wrong size so I just bent them off at the battery, leaving the part of the leads still attached to the battery for easy soldering. Then I just soldered wires directly on them. I then put electrical tape on the board where the battery used to sit and bent the wires as flat as they would go so the battery could sit on the board without worrying about shorting.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
thanks guys, maybe roughing up the surface will help, I'll try that later. Can anyone show me a place to find gameboy game batteries with leads? an ebay search of "cr1616 leads" doesn't come up with anything. CR2032's are too big to fit int gameboy advance games (too thick actually).