I Am All Day And Night - The Music of Frank Zappa

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I came across this program the other night when the 1st part (of 3) was aired on my local radio station. I'm not really familiar with his music, other than hearing random samples from friends and through compilations, but hearing this documentary made me think what the hell have I been missing for all of these years?

You can listen to the broadcast streaming online HERE, or it's also available through torrents and other outlets if you search around online.

If you're a music fan I think it's an excellent listen (if you've got the 3 hours listening time). :vik:

Any fans care to comment or recommend favorite albums/works? :)

J. Max

judas,
Joe's Garage. Zappa's rock opera. It might be the filthiest piece of music I've ever heard...and it's brilliant. The whole thing is amazingly cohesive and well done, almost like a classical opera. I actually wrote a paper on this and it really is impressive (I was a music composition major).

Plus, it's funny as hell. "Catholic Girls" (and he quotes another nasty song in this one; "Jewish Princess" from Shiek Yerbouti) , "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?", "Crew Slut", and "Wet T-Shirt Night" are some of the sickest and funniest stuff ever recorded.

"Shiek Yerbouti" is a great album too. "Broken Hearts Are For Assholes" is my favortie Zappa song.

There is also the non-obscene stuff: Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, the Orchestral Music, and The Yellow Shark. All good stuff.

EDIT: If you can find a copy, "The Real Frank Zappa Book" is great too. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read. His description of how different people function in a rock band should be required reading for music students everywhere.

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i agree with everything the guy above me posted, but add hot rats as peaches en regailia is a great song. zappa was a musicians musician. but he was damn funny the entire time. with tracks like "the muffinman song" and "bobby brown is going down" fuck man. hilarious shit.