I just got my Atomiswave! Pics and review inside

Freelancer

Banned
supergoose79 said:
but the games don't seem to be any better than my 5 or 6 years old dc games ... that i don't play anymore ...

Exactly my observation as well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
supergoose79 said:
i don't. the hardware is somewhat interesting, but the games don't seem to be any better than my 5 or 6 years old dc games ... that i don't play anymore ...

Well at least you're basing it off of the games and not the hardware.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
MKL said:
Possible cause of the problem: you used Jamma pin L as audio ground. This works with MVS because on MVS that pin is a ground like any other but on boards by other manufacturers (Capcom is a case in point) pin L is NOT always ground and would give the problems Amano is having. Check if Atomiswave is like that and if so just desolder the wire from jamma pin L and resolder it to a ground point (e.g. pins 27, 28, etc.). Probably Amano's other supergun uses a pin that is a universal ground.

Oh well, thanks, I don't really plan on fixing it myself because now I usually use the other supergun. Anyway I had no problem with sound using the vhs-gun a long time ago with a CPS2, with the sound through the JAMMA harness in mono.
Now I just keep the vhs-gun as reserve one, and most likley I would use it with MVS only anyway.

On another side-note, at first my modded DC stick didn't work with the Atomiswave, while so far it had worked with any other JAMMA board. When I pressed a button, it acted like if almost all buttons had been pressed at once. I figured out it was because the DC stick I was using was still wired to be used with the DC at the same time (I never had problems before). So I unplugged the DC stuff and then worked OK.

Falk is right, the current games are few and not really good. I prefer Dynamite Cop (available on DC as a port of the Model 2 arcade, not even a Naomi) over Demolish Fist any time. But as I said I bought it based on the future games, which, I hope, will be good. And if not I'll just sell it.
You can't judge a system like this for the first games. Come on, I think almost all MVS first games sucked, specially compared to the CPS1 games of that time (and even from before).

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
supergoose79 said:
i don't. the hardware is somewhat interesting, but the games don't seem to be any better than my 5 or 6 years old dc games ... that i don't play anymore ...

It's not so much the current games that promted me to buy one last fall (well, apart from Dolphin Blue, with looks incredible), but the fact that future SNK releases were likely (now confirmed) coming to the system.

It's true that, for 3D, it's behind the times, but for 2D games (which I hope most future SNK releases remain) it has more than enough power.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
snkp should do their games in 100% 2D and i might actually like 'em, but for now i still prefer the way the games looked on the neo.
if i want to play affordable 3D games, then i just hook up my ngc or even the ps2.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I know this is a somewhat dumb question, but what keeps
this from being so unbootleggable? that seems to be one
of the high points of it right?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Bishamon said:
It's true that, for 3D, it's behind the times, but for 2D games (which I hope most future SNK releases remain) it has more than enough power.

I dunno'....Force Five looks as good as most 3D games being pumped out on PS2, close to, if not on par with, VF4

pixeljunkie

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I dunno'....Force Five looks as good as most 3D games being pumped out on PS2, close to, if not on par with, VF4

pixeljunkie

Not at all, it can be compared to Dead or Alive 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament, but not with Virtua Fighter 4.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Not at all, it can be compared to Dead or Alive 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament, but not with Virtua Fighter 4.

I'll agree with you on that, I just did a side by side comparison. But you're right, definitely in the same league as DOA and Tekken Tag [almost 4]

Point is, I don't think its THAT far behind.

I still, would rather see it utilized with 2D art, like Guilty Gear...which is suitable to spread on toast for breakfast or snack.

pixeljunkie

Garlic Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Just though I'd point out, dreamcast was powerful enough to run VF4 but sega though their wasn't enough of a market left for the dreamcast to manufacture the game. A dreamcast magazine during the DC's dying days in 2002 said so.

SEGA_X

Ninja Combat Warrior
I already have a 1 slot MVS with some worthy games
great pics congrats on your A-wave so you can play it on your tv great
Ill think about getting one I saw it for $395 I can save up that amount in 2
months Ill probably get a Awave if KOF 2004 appears in it.

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
What sort of lead do you get for connecting for high-res? Just wondering if I could hook up to my Plasma. That'd be sweeeeeeeet.

I'm seriously consiering an AW set up. I have an Arcade Heaven Supergun and it sounds pretty simple. Is it totally plug and play or do I need to mess around with setting up controls or anything? Sorry if we're going over old ground here.

Capoz

New Challenger
Amano Jacu said:
First of all, if somebody thinks this doesn't belong to this forum just move it to Unrelated.

OK, last week, when the new SNK games were announced for the Atomiswave, and I saw tha the prices for it weren't outrageous, plus it is very easy to use at home, I decided to buy an Atomiswave. I contacted cosmicco , where I use to buy MVS carts and regular arcade boards, and they had one with Demolish Fist in stock for 368$ (assumed second hand). Since it was considerable cheaper than coinopexpress , and I had never dealt with them, I decided to order it from Cosmicco quickly before it was sold to somebody else. Shipping via EMS to Spain was only 41$ (I asked coinopexpress and shipping via EMS was 58$ for them). Now the € is very strong against the $, so I think I had a fair price.

I must say that none of the current games were very appealing to me, but I am more interested in the future ones, so I bought it now in case its price increased. And also because it was my Birthday ;). On the end, if I finish not liking it I'll just sell it.
So I decided to buy Demolish Fist because it was the cheapest game (plus it was the only one available at Cosmicco).

It came, as it was second hand, without any box, just the motherboard with the cart inserted, a poster of the game, and the manual of the game in Spanish, Korean and Japanese. I am very pissed that it doesn't have the motherboard manual. Oh well.

So here it is. It is quite small, around the same size of my small MVS board, the MV1-A, as you can see in this pic:

5.jpg

But it weights more, 1.5 kg, basically because of the metal panel in the bottom. The game cart is very tiny and light, only 100 g, and is similar in size to a n64 cart:

6.jpg

As for the connections, there's the JAMMA harness, 2 dip switches, a volume control, a serial port (fot the modem I believe), a connector for stereo sound (which I don't know how to use yet) and the VGA port. There are also 2 pieces of plastic that can be removed like the cart, one for other peripherals (guns, steering wheel, etc.) and the other for communications.

7.jpg

DIP switch number 1 is for selecting standar res or hi res. 2 is for accessing the configuration screen.

First of all let's use standar res.

I use my supergun with RGB output in my TV through scart RGB. Here's what I saw:

2.jpg

Sound got outputted through the JAMMA harness in mono format to my speakers.

Now I set the DIP to hi-res. Here's what I could see in my TV through RGB scart from the JAMMA harness:

3.jpg

The screen is doubled, so I switched it off.
OK, so now let's try the VGA output into my VGA LCD monitor:

4.jpg

The image looked much better than in my TV. Here you can see it actually is 31 khz, 640x480:

8.jpg

On a side note, the AW has a fan that makes quite a lot of noise, not as bad as a CPS2, but still is pretty annoying.

About the game itself, well, I found it to be an average beat'em-up. Not bad, but not really good either. I guess it'll be funnier when I play it with somebody else. As I said I got this game because it was the cheapest. I heard the best game right now is Knights of Valor but it was too expensive. I didn't heard many good references for Dolphin Blue and it was also considerably more expensive. The other one is Guilty Gear X 1.5 but I already have XX on Ps2.

That's it for now. If you have any question about it just ask.

Hey man , I ust buyed a supergun and now I want to buy the Atomis Wave, but there is on th AW a switch for 15 hz of home tv and 25 of arcade monitor?

Thank you in advance

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Didn't notice this thread was brought back to life...

SuperPang said:
What sort of lead do you get for connecting for high-res? Just wondering if I could hook up to my Plasma. That'd be sweeeeeeeet.

I'm seriously consiering an AW set up. I have an Arcade Heaven Supergun and it sounds pretty simple. Is it totally plug and play or do I need to mess around with setting up controls or anything? Sorry if we're going over old ground here.

For hi-res it uses a regular VGA connector, as you can see in the pics. If your TV has a VGA input it is possible that it will work.

Yes, it should work straight with a regular JAMMA supergun. No modification required.

Hey man , I ust buyed a supergun and now I want to buy the Atomis Wave, but there is on th AW a switch for 15 hz of home tv and 25 of arcade monitor?

Er... It's hard to understand the question. As I said in the original post, the AW has a switch for swapping betwen low-res, to use it in a TV (provided you can handle the RGB output) or regular arcade monitor; and hi-res, to use it in a compatible VGA monitor or hi-res arcade monitor.

Capoz

New Challenger
Amano Jacu said:
Didn't notice this thread was brought back to life...

For hi-res it uses a regular VGA connector, as you can see in the pics. If your TV has a VGA input it is possible that it will work.

Yes, it should work straight with a regular JAMMA supergun. No modification required.

Er... It's hard to understand the question. As I said in the original post, the AW has a switch for swapping betwen low-res, to use it in a TV (provided you can handle the RGB output) or regular arcade monitor; and hi-res, to use it in a compatible VGA monitor or hi-res arcade monitor.

Thank you very much, it's perfect for me, now I can buy the AW!