I just got my Atomiswave! Pics and review inside

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Let's see if I can reply everybody...

When set in standar res, this board is basically JAMMA, so it *should* work OK in any regular supergun or cab. However, MVS cabs that are wired for stereo might need to rewire the sound, as through the JAMMA harness this board is mono.
All I can say is that it worked OK in my supergun.

If you set it in hi-res, then you need to use a monitor that is compatible with it. My TV wasn't, my LCD monitor was. Lagduf, I'll see if I can try it in a regular CRT VGA monitor.

About Guilty Gear X 1.5, if I wanted it I'd just get the DC version, I could still play it in the LCD monitor with my VGA box. Of course maybe all the AW games will eventually be ported to, I wish, DC, and if not, PS2.... :rolleyes:

Scooby, as of now games are mostly sold including the mobo, but that's because there are few different titles and they want to expand the market. I give for sure that loose cart games will appear soon in the second hand market. Even if they still release the new games in combo format (which economically doesn't make much sense, why make it cart based then?), this fact doesn't matter to me, as new games will be just too expensive for me on release. Anyway this is all speculation, I gambled a bit buying it now, only time will tell if it was a right decission.

Fiorian, you can check this if you want to know a bit more about superguns:

http://dasfool.aroo.tv/

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Congrats...

I have the same kit... but being a beat-em-up fan... I found the game to be very enjoyable, although I seem to play "The Guardian" on my PGM system a bit more. I have the parts for my VGA amplifier on the way so I can finally see this in VGA on my television in a couple of weeks hopefully..... as I don't have an LCD monitor.

Along with a kof game in the future... I have also been thinking about picking up Sushi Bar if I can find it at a low price.

I really want to start some sort of arcade puzzle collection to go alongside my fighting game and beat-em-ups.

SNKjr

NEST Puppet
NGT said:
VGA amplifier

Vga amplifier?, just need some more info on this product. I can only guess what it must obviously do, just I have never heard of it.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
vga amplifier stuff for the AW....

videoamphi.jpg

well...I was told I can make one out of one of these^^^^

and then run it back into VGA by splitting the sync with one of these VVVVVVVVV

107140.jpg

and that's by hooking it up like this:

sync_seperator_pin.jpg

and then running that back into a vga cord to my regular monitor or my tv (after I test it on this cheap monitor,lol...

at least that's what I have been told.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Oh well, just call me lucky, but the Atomiswave just worked plugged directly in my old CRT monitor:

9.jpg

Kusanagi2004

NEST Puppet
Congratulations man, your Atomiswave setup looks like a pretty sweet deal. I'll jump on that bandwagon one of these days myself. I'm sure you can't wait to get your hands on some of the upcoming SNKP goodness.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Gamefan said:
Looks very interesting. I may have to consider getting one in the future after I see some SNKP games released.

GAMEFAN

Me too.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Oh well, just call me lucky, but the Atomiswave just worked plugged directly in my old CRT monitor:

9.jpg

I couldn't get mine to run on my TV or 3 monitors in my house :(

so call me "Angry!"

lol..

but if this works I won't care, as it's only about 20 bucks for parts....and will be an interesting item to make....or at least something new to me.

SNKjr

NEST Puppet
NGT said:
vga amplifier stuff for the AW....

videoamphi.jpg

well...I was told I can make one out of one of these^^^^

and then run it back into VGA by splitting the sync with one of these VVVVVVVVV

107140.jpg

and that's by hooking it up like this:

sync_seperator_pin.jpg

and then running that back into a vga cord to my regular monitor or my tv (after I test it on this cheap monitor,lol...

at least that's what I have been told.
Cool, cheers!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
NGT said:
I found the game to be very enjoyable, although I seem to play "The Guardian" on my PGM system a bit more.

Whawhaaa? Whats "The Guardian"? I can't find anything on that game, and I've been wanting some new stuff for my PGM system. [I have Demon Front, and Puzzle Star...both great] Please, give me some more info on this game.

pixeljunkie

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Funny, when I got my Atomiswave, the post was moved from here to un-related. and where are all those angry AW haters. Glad you're not getting flamed man!

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i haven't tried hooking the 'wave up to my crt yet, but it (dolphin blue) looks pretty darn good to me on a mas supergun s-vid going to a 27" flat screen.

since amano jacu seemed to have no problems, i'll try it tonight and see what happens. what do you do for sound in this case?

also, what are my options for accessing the dip menu without a test switch. i hit the first dip on the board to get into the system menu, but the start button toggles through the options (calendar, coin settings, game settings, etc.) and no other buttons do anything. it says use the test switch to enter the menu. do i need a makeshift test switch between wires 1 & 15 to access each menu?

my atomiswave thinks it's 1951 :help:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Kafuin, in the configuration menu, I can use down in my controller to cycle the options and the A button to select them.

About sound, my supergun has RCA jacks connected to the JAMMA harness, so I can use them independently of the video output. Anyway, in my set-up I don't even need that RCA jacks, because I use the scart connection, that other than RGB video carries sound. I have it connected to a "scart thief", and from there sound goes to my speakers. So even with my TV switched off, I still get the sound.
Of course, you could also use the separate sound connector and thus get stereo, but I 'm still working on that.

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Hey Falk, now that you are here, I just want to mention that I tried the Atomiswave in the vhs-gun you made, and the image was OK in the TV in low-res (it was actually better than in my other Supergun), but for some reason I didn't get sound through scart (haven't tried the RCA jacks of it), only some loud noises. I have no idea about how could cause this, because in the other supergun sound is OK. What do you think?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
don't know ... afterall it was the first gun i ever sold ...

might have to do with the pinout. maybe, i wired the gun for mono and the aw uses pin 10 and L for stereo. i really can't remember, but this might be the reason, since i made the first guns mainly for use with (my) mv-1fz board(s) ...

btw, what kind of screws are holding the aw together?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
supergoose79 said:
don't know ... afterall it was the first gun i ever sold ...

Possible cause of the problem: you used Jamma pin L as audio ground. This works with MVS because on MVS that pin is a ground like any other but on boards by other manufacturers (Capcom is a case in point) pin L is NOT always ground and would give the problems Amano is having. Check if Atomiswave is like that and if so just desolder the wire from jamma pin L and resolder it to a ground point (e.g. pins 27, 28, etc.). Probably Amano's other supergun uses a pin that is a universal ground.

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I think the gun is wired for mono, but as far as I know the AW only outputs mono as well through the JAMMA harness...

About screws, all of them that I can see are regular philips ones, cross-shaped. There's one in the front and another one in the back, plus 2 (one on each side) more on each of the 3 slots (game, communications and expansion I/O) on top of it.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Verbatum said:
Funny, when I got my Atomiswave, the post was moved from here to un-related. and where are all those angry AW haters. Glad you're not getting flamed man!

I think they're all looking to buy one themselves, now. ;)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
MKL said:
Possible cause of the problem: ...
that's what i meant.
nowadays, i always use the gnd straight off the power supply.

Amano, about the screws ... thx.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Bishamon said:
I think they're all looking to buy one themselves, now. ;)
i don't. the hardware is somewhat interesting, but the games don't seem to be any better than my 5 or 6 years old dc games ... that i don't play anymore ...