I need help with my arcade cabinet

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Here is the problem, I have a six slot neo geo arcade cabinet and it has been working fine. I only had one cart in it which was 161-1 which was all running perfectly. However, yesterday I tried putting in league bowling (as it's not on the 161-1) whilst the 161-1 was still in too. When I switched on the cabinet the monitor went a kind of turquoise and greeny colour. Also the screen which shows you how many credits you have stopped working too. I immediately switched my cabinet off and removed the league bowling cart. Now when I switch it on it remains the same and does not work. Here is a picture of what my monitor looks like when I switch it on now:
100_0610.jpg

I'am a complete novice when it comes to this so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Last edited:

AtariBorn

New Challenger
I've heard that the 6 slots have issues with the XXX-in-One / Bootleg carts, supposedly killing cart slots. Have you tried turning it on without the 161 in 1 cart? Maybe just try League Bowling by itself.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Yeah I've tried that but still not working, the monitors coming on but with those weird colours on it again.

AtariBorn

New Challenger
I'm not sure what's going on, but on 2 of my 4-slots, I have issues with a couple carts where I have to put them in, then slightly pull them up a little to make them work properly. I think my problem may be that I need to clean the slots and haven't gotten around to it. But usually, it's garbled or corrupt video/sound. I don't think I've ever seen the color scheme yours is showing.

AtariBorn

New Challenger
Have you tried turning the cab on without a cart to see if it goes to test mode?

If you get into test mode, try clearing the backup RAM

neptonikboy

New Challenger
It's almost like there's power going into the monitor but nothing going into the 6 slot board.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Have you tried turning the cab on without a cart to see if it goes to test mode?

If you get into test mode, try clearing the backup RAM

Just tried that and the same thing keeps happening. I think I might have seriously wrecked my cab.

AtariBorn

New Challenger
From what I've heard, the 6-slots are power hogs. I'm no pro at this, I've only been messing with the Neo Geo stuff for a couple years and have been real lucky so far.

Maybe I should just shut up and let a more experienced member help you out. Just in case even turning it on right now could be harmful to your cab.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Did you verify that the board is getting power? I had my 6 slot board go dead at one point because the power draw blew an inline fuse on the 5v line. Test the voltage at the harness.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Aye, check the voltage on the board's edge, check the fuses, and adjust your power supply if needed and report back! :)

neptonikboy

New Challenger
I think it might be the fuse that has 4at 250 volt below it thats blown.

Last edited:

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Here is a picture of the power supply:
100_0613.jpg

There is one fuse on the left hand side and two on the right. Do you think one of those fuses may have blown?

AtariBorn

New Challenger
You should be able to tell by looking closely at them. There is a small metal wire insde that would be broken if they were blown.

Can you see a wire running from one end to the other, inside the glass?

neptonikboy

New Challenger
See all the live and neutral wires on the left of the picture, they all feed from a switch which has cherry on it. Could it be that switch that has maybe blown?

AtariBorn

New Challenger
Not really sure would you should try next. I'm not really that keen in this department. However, if it were me, my next move would be to round up a multimeter, set it to continuity, and start checking all of the +5 volt / +12 volt connectors on the JAMMA harness.

Put one end on what reads +5 volts or whatever on the power supply and the other end on the pins of the JAMMA harness, where it should read the same. If you hear a beep, you have a good connection, if not, you have found the problem.

Ofcourse, that's just my thinking.

But, I did find ALL of my wiring this way when I first got my Electrocoin, several wires were cut instead of just unplugged...RGB, Video Sync/Ground, EL-Panels, Coin Mech wiring...it was a mess, but I have it all sorted out now.

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
You can generally identify blown fuses of this type by looking at them, but you can't see electrical current. Without a multimeter to test the voltage at the board (for starters) you're not going to be able to diagnose this further.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
I will be purchasing a multi meter tomorrow and I will get back to you, thanks for the help.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
I haven't got a multi meter yet, and my cabinet is still not working. The thing is even if I identify the problem with a mult-meter I won't be able to fix it myself, so I'm screwed lol!

rectumrob

n00b
Not necessarily. If you're able to generally troubleshoot where your problem is, you're not far off from being able to fix it.

Starting out, I would probe the fuses with the psu off. I would probe the output lines of the psu while on. I would probe these again while it powering the board. I would probe the board to see if the logic was receiving the correct voltage.

This is a good start. Any problems here greatly simplifies things for you.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Not necessarily. If you're able to generally troubleshoot where your problem is, you're not far off from being able to fix it.

Starting out, I would probe the fuses with the psu off. I would probe the output lines of the psu while on. I would probe these again while it powering the board. I would probe the board to see if the logic was receiving the correct voltage.

This is a good start. Any problems here greatly simplifies things for you.

I really don't like touching any of the electricals when the power is on, I'm a novice and don't want to electricute myself. One thing I'm going to do tomorrow was replace all four fuses that are around where the power supply is and see if that might work.