I think i'm done with consoles.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I have not touched a console game in months. These days I pretty much only play arcade games and I'm thinking of selling all my consoles and games as they just dont get used anymore. I dont know what happened just somewhere along the line I've lost interest in consoles. Maybe its cause I cant sit down and play a game for 4 hours like I used to cause my life is more busy than it used to be. I dont know, What do you guys think?

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey guys, I have not touched a console game in months. These days I pretty much only play arcade games and I'm thinking of selling all my consoles and games as they just dont get used anymore. I dont know what happened just somewhere along the line I've lost interest in consoles. Maybe its cause I cant sit down and play a game for 4 hours like I used to cause my life is more busy than it used to be. I dont know, What do you guys think?
I was in the same boat for a long time. I tended to stick to arcade and arcade type games so I could just jump in, play a bit, and shut it down whenever. No worries about checkpoints etc.

My daughter who is 12, has just started asking to play the games I grew up with. It's alot of fun to go thru all the old stuff with her. It also got me back into playing some of the console stuff, but at a much more relaxed, casual pace.

Just pack that stuff up, and put it away for awhile. If you never think about the stuff again for another 2-3 years, then I would consider selling it.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

I went through the same thing. I can't play more then 20mins to an hour anymore with family, work, and home responsibilities. And that's not even every week I get that. I sold a bunch of console stuff I had sitting in the closet to fund more arcade purchases. Exceptions are NES and SNES. I kept most of that stuff except boxed expensive games like RPGs since no free time for those anyways. I am intrigued about PVMs and RGB modded consoles though and if I were to find a nice large RGB screen I would probably start leaning back towards consoles some. Arcade games and pinballs though are perfect though if time is the problem as you can get in a quick fix and not feel like you were rushed. It's also nice for gatherings as most people don't have access to this kind of stuff and it's a lot of fun playing with people on arcade style games. Plus no one is going to say "oh sweet man you have a snes lets play that". Ditch the stuff you don't have a child hood connection too and I doubt you will miss any of it too much. I haven't touched the WiiU in so long either although I really liked the games I got for it. Although when the Mario maker game comes out that will change :-)
TL,DR
Sell your console crap, go full retard with the arcade games.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Hey I can totally relate to the feeling of losing interest in consoles/video games in general. I have been through several periods in my life where I have lost interest in these and other things I love due to work, relationships, health problems and other "real life" bullshit. I figure it's perfectly normal for this to happen now and then. However I will say that if you are planning on getting rid of/selling your systems and games I would think twice about it. I have unfortunately made the mistake of selling many systems and games I loved due to random life situations and greatly regret it. You may have lost interest in consoles/games at the moment and that's fine but chances are if you ever really loved them you will want to own and play them again at some point in the future. I once sold a Turbo Express and a copy of Dracula X for Pc engine to keep my shitty ex girlfriend out of jail. Didn't care much at the time because it wasn't my priority but I sure do miss them now.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
some really good points in here guys, appreciate the thoughts. My situation is not because of a woman or kids or anything like that, i'm single never had any kids. I work a lot and I tend to go hang out with friends quite often tuesdays and thursday nights Im out with friends at their place or a restaurant or whatever watching sports or just hanging out. Friday nights I'm playing Magic the gathering at my local game store. and if a friend calls me up and says hey I need help with my car or a project he's working on or whatever i'm there. I'm only home a lot of the times just to go to sleep and get up for work the next morning, maybe i'm too social lol.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
some really good points in here guys, appreciate the thoughts. My situation is not because of a woman or kids or anything like that, i'm single never had any kids. I work a lot and I tend to go hang out with friends quite often tuesdays and thursday nights Im out with friends at their place or a restaurant or whatever watching sports or just hanging out. Friday nights I'm playing Magic the gathering at my local game store. and if a friend calls me up and says hey I need help with my car or a project he's working on or whatever i'm there. I'm only home a lot of the times just to go to sleep and get up for work the next morning, maybe i'm too social lol.

I was at this point in my mid to late 20's, very social and outgoing, as I got older I noticed that I was staying home alot more so I actually got to spend more time with console stuff. Don't sell just yet, you may just regret it, but do get rid of all your RPGs, you'll most likely never finish them now due to time constraints and lack of desire to finish them :D

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm going to just summarize the rest of the thread: a lot of people go through this, a lot of people get over it. But not everyone. As everyone said, says, and will say, don't sell yet, you'll likely regret doing so. Give it a while, especially if you can afford to (you have the room, aren't tight on money, etc.).

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I think it's perfectly normal to feel this way. The last console game I spent serious time with was Zelda Skyward Sword.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Welcome to the club. Indie scene is alive and well on PC, and I haven't touched a console for gaming in awhile.

I almost feel like this is a natural process as people get older and have less time to game. My friend list is so small on consoles, i don't even know why I have one.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Maybe its cause I cant sit down and play a game for 4 hours like I used to cause my life is more busy than it used to be. I dont know, What do you guys think?

Just get rid of everything then. Getting anywhere in arcade games should demand 500x the hours console titles require. If you're ok floating on stage 2 forever, than that's cool.

I guess people don't really play console games (I'm assuming you mean old stuff?) . They are still pretty popular amongst (internet) cretins these days though. Not for playing, but for reasons too awful to mention.

It sounds like you're the living life of a swinging bachelor stud. You may not have that forever. You could enhance this moment of your life with money. Sell. Sell!

Welcome to the club. Indie scene is alive and well on PC, and I haven't touched a console for gaming in awhile.

Oh dear.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Now we just need a pep talk from Electric Grave and this thread will be complete.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Just get rid of everything then. Getting anywhere in arcade games should demand 500x the hours console titles require. If you're ok floating on stage 2 forever, than that's cool.

I guess people don't really play console games (I'm assuming you mean old stuff?) . They are still pretty popular amongst (internet) cretins these days though. Not for playing, but for reasons too awful to mention.

It sounds like you're the living life of a swinging bachelor stud. You may not have that forever. You could enhance this moment of your life with money though. Sell. Sell!

Oh dear.

Yeah Im definitely more casual with my gaming these days and dont really care if I ever 1cc a game anymore and I use it more to unwind and relax not to be competitive. I dont even own a console newer than a GCN new games have not appealed to me in the slightest and I say screw them all.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
If you're talking classic consoles, many of their games are 'arcade-style' or pick and play and completable in about 30 mins, so keep that in mind before you sell off any of them.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
If you're talking classic consoles, many of their games are 'arcade-style' or pick and play and completable in about 30 mins, so keep that in mind before you sell off any of them.

well, a lot of the games I used to enjoy were RPGs so I have a lot of them and then I have a lot of games like banjo kazooie, god of war, that are more adventure type games that you cant just pick up and play. Starting to think I should just sell a lot of my stuff that isnt beat em ups or shmups since even when I did play a lot more consoles, thats mostly what I played.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
well, a lot of the games I used to enjoy were RPGs so I have a lot of them and then I have a lot of games like banjo kazooie, god of war, that are more adventure type games that you cant just pick up and play. Starting to think I should just sell a lot of my stuff that isnt beat em ups or shmups since even when I did play a lot more consoles, thats mostly what I played.
Banjo-Kazooie, God of War, RPGs? Yeah, definitely sell that claptrap.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There's plenty of twitch type games on console even without including arcade ports, and with shit like multiconsole joysticks and RGB you can have decently arcade-approximate fun with them. If it's not for you then fine but I enjoy my console stuff as much as my arcade stuff :)

Rob Black

4" Chinaman Slave,
My advice is just keep what you truly like, few months ago I thinned down my collections to stuff I actually like / intend to play

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sell all of it... it basically comes to three things anyway:

1. Monitor
2. Controller
3. Perfectly tuned emulation

If you can provide all that, than there's no need to keep anything besides disc/card space. Unnecessary nostalgia is tedious, pesky and mind-numbing. If you can free yourself from it and keep to the holy trinity above, ...you'll be more than happy ;).

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This is true, a nice RGB CRT with CRT Emudriver or Soft15khz feeding it is an amazing thing. Hell even a hacked Wii with its variable pixel clock looks pretty damn great in component.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hell even a hacked Wii with its variable pixel clock looks pretty damn great in component.

And you'll only need to softmod it. Retro Arch tag-teamed with FBA can do wonders, the Wii NG board is first class, pad-wise there's the super famicom replica, expensive but insatiable. One could recite like that for hours...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
anyone still using an xbox for emulation is a caveman! ACTUAL SCANLINES <3

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
PS whoever's saying no one gets excited about coming over and seeing consoles is completely wrong, almost everyone who comes to my house loves them. I have friends and friends of friends who come over just to play my consoles nn

But yeah, the arcade games cause a different reaction altogether

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I dont play my consoles but noway im selling them...Im too much of a hoarder...

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Arcade gaming is the top.
I find myself playing a lot of it because it's audio-visually more appealing than most of older console stuff.
BUT ( there's always a "but" )! Arcade stuff/gear can be too troublesome.
Arcade pcb's ( mostly ) can be a pain and you'll find yourself trying more to learn/repair that shit instead of playing it.

I like 'em both.
I turn on my Supergun more often than most consoles I own, but some console games cannot be replaced.
There's just too much of console goodies that you don't have on arcade too.
You don't have a Super Metroid on arcades. You don't have decent 2D Castlevania ( 3D ones are crap ) and so on.

Than you have Neo Geo ( Arcade perfect ) and Saturn and PSX where most ports of Arcade games were perfect or near that.
It all comes to a reasoning when you have to buy a PCB version of a game that is perfectly ported that may cost you 300 bucks when you can have the same EXACT game ( sometimes with other goodies ) for less than $50.

Games like Ray Force on the Saturn are a good example of this. I'd love to get my hands on a PCB of that beauty, but the 10secs it takes to load into gameplay doesn't bother me much. It's a shooter and it barely has to load anything.

Fighting games for that matter is a complete different story tho.
I can't see myself playing KOF with my friends with the console loading between rounds, chars select and so on.
It simply is a buzz killer. Neo Geo CD versions are cool to own, if you want to have a different feeling playing the same game with an AST instead of the original musical chiptunes. But that's about it.

For each his own.

And there's also the situation when console games are way more expensive than the SUPERIOR arcade parts. Which is, IMO a total sacrilege.
Not so much for the NTSC versions, but PAL versions of Sunset Riders are usually way more expensive than the GODLIKE Arcade PCB.
It's shameful.
Fatal Fury 2 for the PAL Mega Drive cost nearly as much as an AES with Fatal Fury 2. Or maybe more.
It's simply ridiculous paying more to have less. No matter if it's collectible or not.

I myself have all 3 Sunset Riders ( MD, SNES, JAMMA ). If I didn't had the console versions first before having the PCB of that one, I probably would have never got them unless it was a decent deal/trade or whatever.

Keeping stuff to maintain your nostalgia passion up is cool. Wheater you play them or not.
Spending useless amounts of cas on stuff you don't really feel related to is plain dumb.