If you had to become a citizen of another country which country would you choose?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Here lately I've had this urge to visit Canada, and I have no idea why. As for being a citizen? I'd have to sample the place for a few months, and so far I've sampled Japan, Germany, and Italy - none of which I have any desire to go back and live in again, although Germany was the best.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Canada, Japan or Australia (if they get rid of that censorship)

US and any place in Europe would be nice enough.

Please just take me out of here :help:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Canada, easy.

aria

Former Moderator
Easy:

Norway
  • Thanks to oil, the sovereign wealth (i.e. government's own money) investment fund is at $556.8 billion, one of the world's highest. That's their "Government Pension Fund" and they hold 1% of global equity markets and are Europe's largest stock holder. Did I mention that's $556.8b in a fund for less than 5m people?
  • Gorgeous scenery --strike that, it's mindblowing.
  • Thinking about having a family? "Fifty-three weeks of maternity leave at 80 percent pay with a guaranteed job to return to, five weeks (legislation has been introduced to raise it to 10 weeks) of paid paternity leave, a national standard of five weeks of vacation, extensive day-care options, a 37.5-hour workweek, and even an extra government grant should one of the parents decide to stay at home with the child from age 1 to 2."
  • Oslo really isn't all that boring, and it's a short bargain flight from everywhere else in Europe.
  • Seriously: this country is so rich it refuses to join the EU because it wants to spend money to prop up its handful of traditional farmers (not corporate entities) and fishermen.

Honorable Mention:
If I were really wealthy, Monaco.

These aren't merely "places I want to live", I'm thinking purely benefits of citizenship.

Incidentally, if I could become a UAE "national" it wouldn't be a bad option either (free housing, supplied a job), but I'd give the strong edge to Norway and Monaco.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Iran, I wanna meet wasabi's zoroastrian parents.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Isn't living in the Upper Midwestern Plains kind of like living in Scandinavia?????

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
I'd say Canada or New Zeland...

Canada is cold which I enjoy a lot, it's not impossible to travel to different parts of the world, and also I've heard you get a fairly good health insurance and some benefits regarding taxes if you are a foreign person. Fairly stable economy.
New Zeland, SUPER close to Japan, you can get to many of the most paradise like places in the whole world and asian main cities, also has a fairly stable economy, cool mountains and volcanoes, not plagued with the most poisonous stuff in the world like Australia.

Japan is totally out of the question for me, I spent 5 months last year... awesome place to visit.. not such a nice place to live in... unless you were born there or are willing to get your self-esteem kinda crushed due to some gaijin social stigmas. Again, not saying it's a bad country I'm just saying MY ability to adapt its way of life doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Excellent choice man :-).

I'd like to go live in the US, do road trips, super burgers and some warm weather.

i'll come with ya, lets leave the women and kids behind lol.

australia as-well.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Canada, then start a revolution to remove the Queen as head of state.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you're an American and you picked Canada you have to choose again.

For this hypothetical situation you also have to live in the country.

I was thinking Sweden but will look harder at Norway.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
New rules? Boo hiss.

Possibly Germany.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Canada, then start a revolution to remove the Queen as head of state.

Lets just start the real Militaires Sans Frontieres if we're going to go on some military escapades.

PS: Bobak can you move this to Unrelated?

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Texas with Norway a close 2nd.

High five man.
I've been around the world
and I can say without a doubt,
america is a pretty darn good place to live.
Despite all the stupid political idiocy that goes on here.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Pssht. I was into Norway before you guys even knew what Norway was.

I change my vote to Liechtenstein.

My only problem with Europe is the centuries of Balogna that comes along with living there. All the tiny, indefensible borders and lack of Canadian shield rock.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any American choosing the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are on my shitlist.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Can a foreign national join the Norwegian armed forces?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Easy:

Norway
  • Thanks to oil, the sovereign wealth (i.e. government's own money) investment fund is at $556.8 billion, one of the world's highest. That's their "Government Pension Fund" and they hold 1% of global equity markets and are Europe's largest stock holder. Did I mention that's $556.8b in a fund for less than 5m people?
  • Gorgeous scenery --strike that, it's mindblowing.
  • Thinking about having a family? "Fifty-three weeks of maternity leave at 80 percent pay with a guaranteed job to return to, five weeks (legislation has been introduced to raise it to 10 weeks) of paid paternity leave, a national standard of five weeks of vacation, extensive day-care options, a 37.5-hour workweek, and even an extra government grant should one of the parents decide to stay at home with the child from age 1 to 2."
  • Oslo really isn't all that boring, and it's a short bargain flight from everywhere else in Europe.
  • Seriously: this country is so rich it refuses to join the EU because it wants to spend money to prop up its handful of traditional farmers (not corporate entities) and fishermen.

Honorable Mention:
If I were really wealthy, Monaco.

These aren't merely "places I want to live", I'm thinking purely benefits of citizenship.

Incidentally, if I could become a UAE "national" it wouldn't be a bad option either (free housing, supplied a job), but I'd give the strong edge to Norway and Monaco.

You wouldn't do it to be closer to A-ha?