ignorant Hi-Def on TFT Monitor questions...

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Hi, I fully expect people to flame me, because of my lack of knoweldge etc about the subject, but essentially not being willing to spend $1000+ on a new tv meant that I wasn't particularly interested in high def tv/movies/gaming till now. And yes I have googled etc but can't find an answer to my specific question.

I've just bought a new tft monitor, principally because I got a really good deal from a friend desperate for money :kekeke: its a ViewSonic VA2012w , which while I'm sure many will scoff at here, is a very nice monitor and certainly a step up from my old 17" budget tft.

There is more details of it here:
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDE2/VA2012w.htm#features

Its native resolution is 1680 x 1050. I appreciate that this is slightly under the 1080p resolution, but my questions are thus:

1: Could I use it for displaying an xbox 360 at any decent res? 720p for example?
2: Could I use it for displaying hd dvds/blu ray movies with the relevant player?
3: Could I use if for Sky/BBC-HD with the relevant equipment and subscriptions?
4: Will 720p or 480p stuff (or even normal dvds or digital tv) look like ass when displayed on a tft with higher native resolution?

I think essentially what I'm wondering is do hi-def outputs NEED a fixed res or will different res screens do the best they can down/upscaling etc? And if so how sucessful or not is that, does it cause slow down in response time etc?

Not that any of this really matters as I'll mostly just use it as a pc monitor for pcgames and apps and for that it'll be fine. I just wonderred if it would be worth using for anything else also :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I know it'll do 720p at least with a 360 vga cable.

don't worry about the flaming and people knocking your stuff man, its the fact you like it that counts.

:)

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Thanks man :) And thats cool, might pick one up then.. esp with better hardware reliability nowadays and the big games round the corner... also love geometry wars ;) :)

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Thiessen said:
4: Will 720p or 480p stuff (or even normal dvds or digital tv) look like ass when displayed on a tft with higher native resolution?

yes. ;)

the problem with fixed pixel displays is that anything nonnative will look like poop.

just change the res of your pc down to say 800x600 and youll see how it is.

but when you have an lcd/plasma displaying native res content, :drool:

360 can recognize atleast up to a 1280x1024 lcd (as far as 4:3 stuff goes.) i have no idea if itll go higher.

Thiessen

Camel Slug
not sonic said:
yes. ;)
the problem with fixed pixel displays is that anything nonnative will look like poop.

just change the res of your pc down to say 800x600 and youll see how it is.

Unfortunately thats what I figured :( , oh well :)

not sonic said:
360 can recognize atleast up to a 1280x1024 lcd (as far as 4:3 stuff goes.) i have no idea if itll go higher.

Cool - thanks :)

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Those viewsonics are terrible displays, I've owned a couple in my lifetime and lemme tell ya, they are more trouble than they're worth.

You can get much better ones for the same amount of money man IMHO.