Illinois attempt at regulating games

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...latimes/illinoisseekstocurbexplicitvideogames

I know this is a hot topic lately, but is what they are looking for really out of line. They are only trying to make it illegal for kids to buy adult oriented games. Many of which I, and I'm sure many over 18 gamers would agree, are truely too violent and/or sexually oriented. It does not seek to make it illegal to play these games if your parents see fit to purchase them for you, nor does it try to outright censor any content or change the industry as a whole. And it does not want to take voilent and sexual games out of an adults hands. It just seems to me that they want to make it more like the film ratings and enforce them, not kill the entire game industry or anything. Anyone else have thoughts....

Last edited:

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
gmfuss said:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...latimes/illinoisseekstocurbexplicitvideogames

I know this is a hot topic lately, but is what they are looking for really out of line. They are only trying to make it illegal for kids to buy adult oriented games. Many of which I, and I'm sure many over 18 gamers would agree, are truely too violent and/or sexually oriented. It does not seek to make it illegal to play these games if your parents see fit to purchase them for you, nor does it try to outright censor any content or change the industry as a whole. And it does not want to take voilent and sexual games out of an adults hands. It just seems to me that they want to make it more like the film ratings and enforce them, not kill the entire game industry or anything. Anyone else have thoughts....
I'll run this through my sources and get an opinion. As for my 2 cents, I don't think that this will get anywhere. Indianapolis, St. Louis and Washington State all tried video game regulation to varying degrees, and in each instance, a federal judge declared the laws unconstitutional. I'm certain that if Illstate tried this, that it would suffer a similar fate.