Information on HID lights?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
So I found a Xetronic Digital Headlight conversion kit at a recycle shop for $4 that seems to be either a NOS one or someone changed their mind as everything is unused. I thought why not since they seemed to retail for quite a bit back when they were still sold. Problem is, I can't find any information on it. It looks easy to replace the current one and I'm fixing it into a 2001 Eclipse (I like my Eclipse, but the headlights are complete garbage) and I plan to buy a white light instead of the dark blue that is included. However there are a few things I'm not really sure of..for starters, this car has reflectors in for the original halogen lamps, do I just leave those in there or do I need some sort of projection kit? Is it worth it to do this conversion? My problem is even with clean headlights and a new bulb, the lights seem to be very crappy, so when I saw this in the shop, I thought it couldn't hurt to do it. Any information about these would be great!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16p060fpyyhxl1z/20170405_165124.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo12klk050uohuy/20170405_165152.jpg?dl=0

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I can't recommend using those in a standard reflective housing.

Yes it will work, yes you will definitely get a brighter looking light, but it will not be usable in terms of lighting up the road effectively, especially in blue. It will also blind other incoming drivers. The reflective housing will blow the light out all over the place instead of concentrating it into a beam.

I understand that this was cheap and it may be serviceable for a little while.

So id highly recommend you check out
Www.theretrofitsource.com

You can buy a full retrofit kit and with some elbow grease you can produce a light that will be super effective at night, it will produce a cutoff that won't blind drivers and you'll be able to see so far you'll wonder why car manufacturers even still use halogen.

I've done the retrofit in standard halogens in 2 different vehicles and the difference was literally night and day. My current 55w Morimoto D2S kit is just as bright if not brighter than many luxury vehicles. And it cost less than $300. Sounds like a lot but they're extremely functional and they look great to boot!

These are my lights on a Honda Element
d55430ecd3fb74a8c89783e777bd759f.jpg
a3c683949ef6aa4ebfa613ac94262b27.jpg

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've been using HID's for a few years now. It's nice how much brighter they are then stock, but they aren't perfect. The first pair lasted about 1 ½ years before they died. The 2nd pair, 1 of the pieces died after about a month & had to replace it(was covered under warranty). Also, both lights won't always come on when I start my car. Meaning, I'll turn on the car & only 1 headlight turns on.... yet if I turn the car off, then back on again... it comes on. I've checked to make sure nothing came loose & put back in the stock headlights(they work fine).

I thought about trying those 'nightbreaker' halogens... but n/m. It actually looks like LED is the way to go(not HID). link

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I actually bought a set and it turned out one of the lights was busted. I think it's a common problem. Retrofitsource will work with you on that, though.

90% of my driving is done at night...and, my car probably has the WORST headlights (halogen) you can possibly get on a car.

The STi I'm getting comes with LED standard, thank God.

Jon

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I got one of these LED bulbs. They are okay, it is bright but I suspect I am probably blinding incoming traffic. I aimed my headlight as low as possible but no one has flashed me yet.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Hmm. Thanks guys, guess I have some thinking to do heh.