International reverse Lookup?

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
So.. Some time this morning I got a text message about a 2009 Toyota from another country.
Babelfish isn't much of a help translating and I don't recognize the exchange.

"011 50 246 420 888"

The message text reads:
"Feliciadades" TELEFONIA ISUACEL te informa GANASTE $60,000 y un VEHICULO TOYOTA MOD-2,009 llama al tel 011-502 48740811 ahorita mismo.

Anyone get any hints from the dialect or number(s)?

502 Exchange. So... Guatemala? What the heck?

Still... That's the highlight of my day so far.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
Probably a scam.

Before they went online (and became very well known) the Nigerian-style 419 scams were done by phone. Wouldn't be surprised if they're going the texting route now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
probably a wrong number. Someone may have gone overseas and gave the car company your number by mistake. If it's for a landcruiser, that would be pretty badass. I'd love to go round the jungle in one those.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Probably a scam.

Before they went online (and became very well known) the Nigerian-style 419 scams were done by phone. Wouldn't be surprised if they're going the texting route now.

My first thought was that it was a misplaced advertisement.
Then, after some google digging, I found that there's wasn't a reverse lookup available in Guatemala.

I'm thinking it's more a scam now.
I had family members get the same message at about the same time.

SSS

neo retired
there is scam where you'll get a random call or message from a foreign country with information that would make the recipient want to call a number back to find out more. They then charge you astronomical long distance fees and try to keep you on the line as long as possible once you call.

definitely a scam, from google translate:

Feliciadades" informs you ISUACEL TELEPHONY WON $ 60,000 and a Toyota MOD-2, 009 calls the tel 011-502 4874 0811 right now.

either long distance call scam, or phishing for your private info.

Last edited: